Author Topic: Low Level Prizes  (Read 2261 times)

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
Low Level Prizes
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:15:07 AM »
In the Kingdom of Freedland, where magic is tightly controlled and regulated, Mage is a status as well as a profession.

After enduring the Magic Trials and being granted the offical title of Magister, the newly named Mage is gifted with a Mage's Staff. Not only a visable symbol of authority and rank, the Staff also provides benefits to a novice Art-user.

Mage's Staff
Quarterstaff Weapon
Exotic Damage (melee) Force Damage
Spell Effect Lv 1, 1/scene, 10 uses crafter's choice

Typicaly the spell effect will be a usefull spell such as magic missle, call from beyond I, conjure elemental I, nature's ally I, shield, or unseen servant.

Rep Cost: 15
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
Re: Low Level Prizes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
I'm liking the idea of this with regards to accomplishing the trials and school which should be when the first Circle of Power is attained or around 3rd level. They should have about 15 Rep by then through level and adventure.

LSpy Mastermind

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
That's exactly the idea I had. Get to third level Mage or to the First Circle of Power, and get your Staff.

Thanks!

Dhampire

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »
I, too, love this.

But, I'm obviously not understanding Reputation cost for Magic items.
How is level x uses calculated? (in general, and for this item)
I thought level was the spell's level, and the uses would be the #/scene you get to use it.
That, plus it being 2-handed (-10, min 1/2) would net the reputation cost to 3.
I aim to misbehave.

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »
Er, um.... yeah. I didn't see the little notation at the bottom of the chart.

But the cost can only be taken down to Half (rounded up). I'm at work right now, I'll repost tomorrow morning with the revised writeup.

aegis

• Control
  • A little dab'll do ya.
    • View Profile
    • le Scriptorium
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »
I thought [...] the uses would be the #/scene you get to use it.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Like blackheart, I used to think there was a limited number of uses for spell effect magic items. But as someone here told me (don't remember who or where), you pay the Rep cost for the item once and for all, so it would be really unfair if you ever ran out of "charges" for good. So indeed, the aforementioned uses are the uses/scene or /adventure from the chart.

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:34 AM »
Good call from both Dhampire and Aegis. Thank you both.

OK let's try this again.

Mage's Staff

Quarterstaff (two-handed weapon) (-10 Rep cost, min one-half cost rounded up)
Lesser Essence: Exotic Damage (melee): Force (Rep cost 5)
Lesser Charm: Spell Effect, Item Level 3rd (1/scene), Spell Level 1, crafter's choice (Rep cost 1?)

Final Cost: Rep 3

I made the Item Level at 3 for the spell duration purpose only. Since according to how I'm reading the rules, going from Table 4.39 (FC p.199) there is no cost difference between Item Level 1-3 (all are 1/scene) but I can get a Caster Level from 1 to 3 for a better effect.
That way, with a Mage's Staff that can cast call from beyond I there would be a three minute duration instead of one minute, which could be quite usefull for a low-level mage in the heat of an extended melee or time consuming task.
And the whole thing is dirt cheap at the cost.

If Pat, Alex, or any other of the CraftyCrew (TM) want to chime in here for clairity, please do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:12:20 AM by blackheart »

Daedalus

• Operative
  • Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
Yeah, spell use items are really nice for the cost, especially with the lower level spells on the item.  The caster level being set equal to the item level is kind of odd, however.  I figured that since magic items don't level up (aside from artifacts and binding feats) that the caster level would be equal to the character's level.  However, I see how it could get pretty tempting for Mages to tote around magic items containing spells worth using but not worth knowing...

Gentry

• Control
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »
If the example in the book is to be believed, the item level is equal to the level of whoever made it. That level, though, is equal to threat level in nearly any conceivable circumstance. By extension, doesn't that mean an item you "buy" with rep like this has an item level equal to your own (and fixed at that level)?
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »
The reason it used crafter's choice as an effect was that in my example, I had a Mage's Staff being a gift for becoming part of a Guild or Circle or whatever I'm gonna end up calling my spellcaster's society.

I doubt any starting player is going to use up two feat slots taking Craft Essence and Craft Charms.
So the spell effect is chosen by the person crafting the staff. Which nine times out of ten is going to be a GM-Controlled NPC.
And so, I figured there's gonna be a whole bunch of low-level casters who tried to pass the Mage's Trials and just didn't have the Right Stuff (TM) to get it done, but none the less still work for the Council doing minor tasks, 1st level spell casting, running errends, etc...

So take a third level NPC Mage with a couple of crafting feats cranking out a bunch of Staffs, wands, and other sundry charms for selling or gifting and getting paid for it.

Hence the third level spell effect.
And it doesn't cost a thing to up the effect level from one to three, so from a gamer's viewpoint, why the heck not?

Gentry

• Control
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »
So take a third level NPC Mage with a couple of crafting feats cranking out a bunch of Staffs, wands, and other sundry charms for selling or gifting and getting paid for it.

But there aren't 3rd-level NPC mages. There are NPC mages operating at the current adventure's threat level. So if the party is 3rd level, the level of a staff the party mage buys with his rep ought to be 3. And this staff should require a rep cost--it shouldn't be a free adventure reward. 
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

blackheart

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »

But there aren't 3rd-level NPC mages.

There are in my campaign.   ;D

There are NPC mages operating at the current adventure's threat level. So if the party is 3rd level, the level of a staff the party mage buys with his rep ought to be 3. And this staff should require a rep cost--it shouldn't be a free adventure reward. 

It's not a free adventure reward. If one of my magic using PC's is going to join the Mage's Guild and become a Magister, he/she is going to have to go into the Trial's and test if they are ready to be a full-fledged Mage and is recognised as such. The Mage's Staff is a visable symbol of that authority, and the player will still have to play and pay for the Staff; with a Rep Cost of 3, ain't gonna be that hard.

Think of it as a Sub-plot comming to fruition.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
Yeah, spell use items are really nice for the cost, especially with the lower level spells on the item.  The caster level being set equal to the item level is kind of odd, however.  I figured that since magic items don't level up (aside from artifacts and binding feats) that the caster level would be equal to the character's level.  However, I see how it could get pretty tempting for Mages to tote around magic items containing spells worth using but not worth knowing...

Like all magic items, spell items' levels are set at creation (or in the adventure they're found). Having an item level of up with you - especially in the case of spell items, where'd you see a signficant increase in uses/adventure, scene, or session - is relegated to artifacts (and one big part of why they're so awesome).
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games