Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 09:52:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  0-level characters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 0-level characters  (Read 947 times)
Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »

Don't know if anyone remembers the DCC adventures and Gazetteer but Goodman Games wrote a set of rules on how to run a 0-level adventure.

In a nutshell, a 0-level adventurer had a single level of an NPC class before taking levels in his normal classes. I was thinking that it'd be possible to do something similar in FC by using the Origins with no career levels.

Anyone got any comments??

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »

Comment: Spycraft 2.0, page 27.

Reapercussions
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »

In a way FC might work even better for this, since:

- Origins seem less level-dependent, and
- You get origin skills independent of classes you could use to afford a few skill ranks.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »

As indicated above, FC and SC (And one presumes the upcoming MasterCraft) allow 0-level characters.  If you set the DC thresholds at the threat level 1 (10, 13, 16) you can run most adventures intended for 0-level characters in other D20 systems.

Of course, the one I have problems converting is one where you play the animal companions of a semi-retired druid/farmer, so 'most' probably covers everything you would want to run.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »

I've only recently come to Crafty Games so I don't actually have Spycraft 2.0 at the moment. Care to summarise?

Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »

I've only recently come to Crafty Games so I don't actually have Spycraft 2.0 at the moment. Care to summarise?

Rules for doing what you want. The experience tables are a bit different, but the changes are probably trivial.

As a rule, even if you just like fantasy, but would like to tweak the Fantasy Craft system, Spycraft might be worth checking out. If you're into modern RPGing at all, it's the system to go with.  Smiley

Reapercussions
Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

Rules for doing what you want. The experience tables are a bit different, but the changes are probably trivial.

As a rule, even if you just like fantasy, but would like to tweak the Fantasy Craft system, Spycraft might be worth checking out. If you're into modern RPGing at all, it's the system to go with.  Smiley

Okay ... I managed to borrow/steal a copy from a friend who told me to "take the abomination away" from him. (He's a staunch SC 1.0 fan and feels that SC 2.0 ruined the system. I also happen to know two others whogame with him in FQAC and happen to like the SC 2.0 system).

Okay, I'm seeing what you mean and yes, the experience levels are different but it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I can see, a 0-level character gets only the stuff from their Origin. No skill points, no feats, no BAB. 6 Vitality Points.
Given the rules on untrained skill usage, I might rule that either Origin skills don't count for this rule or that they get x skill points to spend on their Origin skills.

Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 02:56:45 AM »

Okay ... I managed to borrow/steal a copy from a friend who told me to "take the abomination away" from him. (He's a staunch SC 1.0 fan and feels that SC 2.0 ruined the system. I also happen to know two others whogame with him in FQAC and happen to like the SC 2.0 system).

I congratulate you for your acquisition and bemoan your friend's poor taste. Smiley

Reapercussions
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

Agreed!

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »