Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 03:08:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Setting Conversion] Star Wars to Master Craft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Setting Conversion] Star Wars to Master Craft  (Read 10277 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »

I'm guessing it was in the workbench thread.  It was a large number of tricks IIRC.  Like spend X edge to do a hardouken type thing.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:39 PM »

A thought: lightsabers cost Reputation.

Being able to successfully craft their own lightsaber is one of the tasks a padawan must complete in order to obtain their knighthood (and given their origins, I suspect the same holds true for Sith apprentices). So Jedi need Crafting (Lightsaber); it would have to be a requirement for any ExC.

In universe, they make their lightsaber by acquiring all the mechanical parts then finding the primary focus crystal and attuning it to the Force.

Knights of the Old Republic gave sabers 3 crystal slots, one of which was the mandatory coloured focus crystal, the one that the Jedi would have to imbue with the Force. the other two were upgrade slots for crystals that in Mastercraft terms could be considered Prizes. There were also a slot each for an energy cell, emitter matrix and focusing lens upgrade.

Setting that aside for a moment, let us consider just how lightsabers (need to) work.

Just on a quick and dirty level, lightsabers are just razor swords with the grip, guard, hurl and keen upgrades to which have been added the exotic damage (electrical) essence and storage charm. So it's stat block looks like this:

Lightsaber -- 1d8 electrical, thr 18-20, comp 27W, cost 148s, qual: Finese, grip, guard 1, hurl, keen 8. Rep: 1 (5 for the essence, 1 for the charm, -5 for being 1 handed).

Those extra qualities I tossed in reflect the fact you've got 3 feet of plasma coming out of a small handle for a weapon; there's no easy way to get something like that out of a person's hand, and you generally don't want your own weapon hitting it.

The padawan in question needs a career level + crafting bonus equal to 27. I'm hoping I've misinterpretted how crafting works because otherwise assuming an Int mod of +1 and a maxed out Crafting skill, it wouldn't be until 12th level that the item in question could be made (1: 6, 2: 8, 3: 10, 4: 12, 5: 14, 6: 16, 7: 18, 8: 20, 9: 22, 10: 24, 11: 26, 12: 28)

So I'm going to go with the idea that the target number is comprised of character level + Crafting check result, and because I want those padawans making their sabers at around the level 4/5 mark, the complexity should be set at 30W, on the assumption that they're taking 20 on that check. It also nicely has the effect that a check result in that range produces the 1 rep needed to make the sword itself.

At this point I suspect that the essence and charm binding trees will be rolled into one because having to blow 2 feats on the whole process is not something at all tenable.

The Jedi & Sith specialties will give you a lightsaber that doesn't count towards your total prizes. You keep it for your entire career, but at the point you move on to becomeing a Jedi knight, you go through the subplot of building your own and handing the loaner back in. The Priest's Force Adept's Acolyte ability simply makes replacing it easier.

Which moves us to the primary focusing crystal. The process of imbuing the thing with the Force gives it the Edge Surge or Greater Edge Surge essence, because the Force is going to be Edge-based. While the saber you had on load from your master had the essenced up crystal, the fact that this lightsaber is yours is what allows you to finally gain the benefit of it and why you master was always banging on about the damn thing being your life.

The imbued crystal is most definitely a Prize, and why if your saber is fragged you hope to the Force you can recover the crystal(s).

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »

I always thought lightsabers wee supposed to be laser like so their damage was AP (X, where X equaled the DR of whatever armor was being worn or something like that).

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »

Hence "quick & dirty". I imagine the Mastercraft version of it would ignore DR and prompt a Reflex save to avoid a condition where Divine & Electrical prompt Will & Fort saves respectively

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »

Couple totally off the cuff observations.

Lightsabres with 'primary crystals' are ideal as prizes. This may distinguish loaners from the personalized ones. It also fits Grievous' treatment of them perfectly Wink.

I would drop the grip and guard qualities from the defalt package - both seem to be learned behaviors of the opperator rather than any innate characteristic of the weapon - it also lets non-Jedi but otherwise competent swordsmen pick them up and find them less than ideal. Consider upping the keen further - a high keen a) matches some of the "consult the limb-loss table" behavior so commons with them and b) makes them VERY good against innaimate objects like unsuspecting ship hulls. I'd move them into the sword category as a base-line, with some feats for using them allowing you to treat them as both swords and fencing blades (some juicy feat combo goodness lurking in there). Despite the treatment in the more recent trilogy, most fight coreography for them was sword-like rather than fencing. This also makes Count Dooku (and form II IIRC) a bit more of an oddity and distinctive.

Early force feat should definitely allow "you may spend 2 Edge to ready any untended lightsabre within 15 ft. as a free action." And for all the times Luke has to stop and take a deep breath to get his act together I present a new advanced action.

You must learn control... (initiative full action). You gain 1 Edge.  You may use this action a number of times per scene equal to your Force feats (minimum 1).
 If you handle most Star Wars races as human offshoots the way Farthest Star is headed, you could totally make Jedi a Talent, which fits as more of a political affiliatio.

Jedi
Bonus feat: Blah
(1) Padawn Training: You may keep 1 lightsaber without it counting against the number of prizes you possess.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »

Building a lightsaber from game-mechanical scratch lacks the elegance of the quick & dirty "you make a magic sword" approach, but I suppose it does let one get more creative.

Lightsaber, standard
     Proficiency: Edged (forte required).
     Sub-type: Sword.
     Damage: 3d4 energy.
     Threat: 18-20.
     Error: 1-3.
     Qualities: Hook, keen 10.
     Complexity: 12M.
     Cost: 1 Reputation (loaner), 8+ Reputation (permanent).

Energy Damage

• Energy damage ignores Damage Reduction & possess the keen 10 quality. If a weapon dealing energy damage also possesses the keen quality, the values stack.
  • When a character suffers energy damage, he may make a Reflex save (DC equal to the keen value + damage suffered) to reduce the damage of the attack by half.

Blasters and vibro weapons also do energy damage. As lightsabers are already possessed of the keen quality, this means they can cut through stuff that blasters and vibro weapons can't as the two qualities stack. The keen upgrade could still be applied to reflect a particularly effective emitter matrix. Also, the rescripting of what the Reflex save does now allows Burglars to get good value out of their Evasion class ability.

New Melee Feats

Lightsaber Basics
     Prerequisites: Force Sensitive.
     Benefit: You may spend 2 Edge to ready any untended lightsaber within your Wisdom modifier 5 ft. as a free action. You also gain a stance.
     Jedi Defense (Stance): When you suffer a successful non-area of effect energy attack while wielding a readied lightsaber and taking the Total Defense action, you may make a Force Manipulation check (DC equal to the successful attack) to cancel that attack. You may use this ability a number of times per round equal to your Dexterity modifier (minimum 1). You may not use this ability if flat-footed, flanked or denied your Dexterity modifier to Defence.

Lightsaber Mastery
     Prerequisites: Lightsaber Basics.
     Benefit: You may use a lightsaber to perform knife or staff tricks. Also, you gain a trick.
     Knight Defence (Total Defence Trick): You may also Anticipate a single opponent. If successful, you may choose to halve the Dodge bonus in order to gain 1 Edge.

Lightsaber Supremecy
     Prerequisites: Lightsaber Mastery.
     Benefit: Once per round you may spend 3 Edge to automatically cancel a single successful energy attack you suffer and redirect it to a single opponent within Close Range.
     Dis-arm (Attack Trick): When you attack an adjacent opponent with a lightsaber, you may make a Called Shot against him. If the attack is successful, the opponent automatically suffers a maimed arm critical injury, in addition to normal damage inflicted.

New Chance Feats

The Force Unleashed
     Prerequisites: Force Sensitive, Force Manipulation 4+ ranks.
     Benefit: The cap on the amount of Edge you may accumulate during a scene is removed. Further you may permanently reduce your starting action dice by 1 to double the amount of Edge granted by your Force Sensitive feat.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:05:18 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »

Building a lightsaber from game-mechanical scratch lacks the elegance of the quick & dirty "you make a magic sword" approach, but I suppose it does let one get more creative.

It opens things up nicely for expansion. The Edge Boost as a desirable choice is quite clever. I'd look at the "you must make your own weapon" as a complex check with the goal/reward giving you the 1 reputation required to pay for a basic model, but exceptional performance maybe giving you extra rep to start of with a superior weapon. I'd also allow the character to spend previously accumulated rep to beef up their creation (fond of you, your masters are). Makes for an awesome transition in their career.

Mastercraft has moved away from die + X damage values. You might consider 3d4 if 2d6 isn't working for you.

Energy damage's second bullet point needs to be rescripted to give an automatic 10 keen, with characters being able to make a save to avoid it (right now objects never take the extra keen).

The trouble with the reply window is driving me nuts. I'll look at the feats in a seperate post.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 12:08:41 AM »

Quote from: Morgenstern
The Edge Boost as a desirable choice is quite clever.

It's one of the thing that put me on the Edge = The Force path. Folks like Han undoubtedly have Edge-granting feats, which reflects the old fannon idea that they possess a latent Force sensitivity that lets them pull of wacky stuff that normnal folks can't but which aren't really conscious manipulation of the Force.

I'd look at the "you must make your own weapon" as a complex check with the goal/reward giving you the 1 reputation required to pay for a basic model, but exceptional performance maybe giving you extra rep to start of with a superior weapon. I'd also allow the character to spend previously accumulated rep to beef up their creation (fond of you, your masters are).

So the "make you own weapon" check is required for the rep to make the weapon, but imbuing the crystal uses Rep earned via adventuring. I like it. I'm thinking that the rep cost is per emitter: saber staffs thus cost more, and will have 2 Lesser Edge surge capable crystals as opposed to a single Greater Edge Surge crystal.

Mastercraft has moved away from die + X damage values. You might consider 3d4 if 2d6 isn't working for you.

I'd actually wanted to focus the damage in a tighter range, skewed high, to represent the precision of the weapon but 3d4 works.

Energy damage's second bullet point needs to be rescripted to give an automatic 10 keen, with characters being able to make a save to avoid it (right now objects never take the extra keen).

Done. Burglar now becomes a viable primary class alongside Soldier and PriestAcolyte for Force users (especially Sith); evasion III now nicely replicates how an elite lightsaber user can simply ignore a whole bunch of incoming single-shot blaster fire -- autofire adding keen 5 to an attack still makes it potentially dangerous going up against heavy weapons -- but still has to worry about melee combatants. Further, it lets them pick up the Lightsaber chain and 1 - 3 others (say Knife, Staff and Sword) with great ease.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:27:25 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 03:18:47 AM »

You may wish to alter the wording on lightsaber basics to take into account flamethrowers too?

Incidentally, I like the Force Unleashed feat. Very nice!

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 03:26:21 AM »

Flamethrowers don't do energy damage, they do fire. And while lightsabers have been seen to block and even redirect electrical attacks (a definite trick), I don't think I've ever seen them used against flame throwers

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »

No no, I meant that lightsabers couldn't block flamethrowers, but you are right - it's fire damage and therefore irrelevant.

Ignore me - I have my uses sometimes but not today.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »

Made me think, none the less: the stance now excludes energy-based area-of-effect attacks

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »

To simplify stuff you could do combative force powers as advanced tricks... such as:

Throw Lightsaber (Hurled Trick): You may spend 1 Edge to use your Lightsaber as a hurled weapon, with a range increment of (Wisdom) ft. The Lightsaber returns to your hand as a free action on your next initiative pass.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »

Entirely my intention.  Wink

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »

Melee Combat Feats

Form Basics
     You've begun the path to ultimate mastery of this weapon of a more civilised age!
     Prerequisites: Lightsaber Basics.
     Benefit: Choose a Fighting Style (see below). You gain the first move of that style. You also gain the first move of any other Fighting Style.

Form Mastery
     Your diverse array of moves has made you a worthy contender in the fighting arena.
     Prerequisites: Form Basics.
     Benefit: You gain the second move of your chosen Fighting Style. You also gain the first move of any other Fighting Style.

Form Supremacy
     Attack me if you dare. You will fall before my blade.
     Prerequisites: Form Mastery.
     Benefit: You gain the final move of your chosen Fighting Style. You also gain the final move of any other Fighting Style.

Chance Feats

Power of the Dark Side
     They don’t know it.
     Prerequisites: Force Sensitive
     Benefit: As a full action a number of times per session equal to your starting action dice, you may accept the [Tainted I] condition to either remove all other conditions you currently suffer or gain an amount of Edge equal to your starting action dice.

Lightsaber Fighting Styles

Determination Form: Sun djem, Practiced simplicity, Sarlaac sweep
Contention Form: Makashi riposte, Contentious opportunity, Shiak
Resilience Form: Passive defence, Circle of Shelter, Deflecting slash
Aggression Form: Hawk-bat swoop, Su ma, Saber swarm
Perseverance Form: Aggressive defence, Walking fire, Blade-hammer
Moderation Form: Wind shield, Floating leaf, Torn leaf
Ferocity Form: Assured strike, Swift flank, Vornskr’s fury
Jar’Kai: Twin strike, Glimmering wall, Rising whirlwind

Attack                       Edge      Time    Damage   Threat   Range  Hnd     Qualities
Melee
Aggressive defence           1          Free   —        —        —      2h      —
Assured strike               Special   Full   Half     Special  —      —       —
Blade-hammer                 5          Full   —        Special  —      2h      Keen 15, massive, sweep
Circle of shelter            2          Full   Special  —        —      2h      Fortress, full circle
Contentious opportunity      3          Half   —        —        —      1h      —
Deflecting slash             3          Full   Special  —        —      2h      —
Floating leaf                0          Free   —        —        —      —       —
Glimmering wall              3          Full   Special  —        —      2h      Fortress, full circle
Hawk-bat swoop               2          Half   —        —        —      —       Stagger
Makashi riposte              2          Half   —        —        —      1h      Finesse, grip
Passive defence              1          Free   —        —        —      2h      —
Practiced simplicity         1          Free   —        —        —      —   —
Saber swarm                  4          Half   —        —        —      2h      Stride 2, triple hit
Sarlaac sweep                3          Half   Special  —        —      1h      Spread, sweep
Shiak                        4          Full   +3       +3       —      1h      Keen 5, stagger
Su Ma                        3          Half   Special  –1       —      —       —
Swift Flank                  3          Half   —        —        —      1h      Triple hit
Twin strike                  3          Half   —        +2       —      2h      Keen 10, stagger, sweep
Walking fire                 3          Half   —        —        —      1h      —
Wind shield                  1          Free   —        —        —      2h      —

Ranged
Sun djem                     2          Half   Special  —        10 ft  2h      –
                                                                  × 4   
Torn leaf                    5          Full   —        —        Close  1h      Special

Chain
Rising whirlwind             5          Full   —        —        —      2h      Chain, double hit, full circle
Vornskr’s Fury               5          Full   Chain: Swift flank, swift flank, assured strike.   Massive

Aggressive Defence (Total defence trick): You refuse to wait for the end. Spend 1 Edge to gain a synergy bonus from your Intimidate skill when using your Jedi Defence stance against ranged attacks.
     Assured strike (Attack trick): You trade raw power for increased certainty. Spend 2 Edge and make a single full round attack with a +4 bonus to the check, halving your damage. If your attack check misses, you may spend up to 3 more Edge, increasing your result by 2 per point spent; your threat range increases by an amount equal to the total Edge spent. If you still fail to hit, you become flat-footed.
     Blade-hammer (Attack trick): When making a Standard Attack with a lightsaber held in at least two hands, your threat range increases by 1 per point by which your attack result exceeds your opponent’s Defence. If the attack fails, you become flat-footed.
     Circle of Shelter (Total defence trick): You draw a circle about you that enemies find it taxing to violate. Spend 2 Edge to make a single attack check; this attack deals subdual damage instead of its standard type.
     Contentious Opportunity (Feint trick): Spend 3 Edge to increase your dodge bonus to Defence by the threat range of your weapon until your next initiative count; if a melee attack falls between your base Defence bonus and your total Defence bonus, you may immediately make a single attack as a free action.
     Deflecting slash (Total defence trick): A maneuver whereby you redirect the energy of deflecting one attack into an assault on an adjacent foe. You may spend 3 Edge to cancel up to 2 non-AoE energy attacks per round that miss you by 5 or less and redirect the damage to an opponent within your Reach.
     Floating leaf (initiative trick): While in the Jedi Defence stance if you aren’t hit during the current round you gain 1 Edge.
     Glimmering wall (Total defence trick): Your enemies cannot easily penetrate the constant movement of your defence. Spend 2 Edge to make a single attack check; this attack deals stress damage instead of its standard type. Additionally, the keen value of any attack targeting you is halved until your next Initiative count.
     Hawk-bat swoop (Move trick): Whenever you  successfully make an Acrobatics/Tumble check with a readied lightsaber, you may spend 2 Edge to make a single final attack at any point along your movement. An opponent targeted by this attack is considered flat-footed.
     Makashi Riposte (Attack action): A defensive technique where the duellist slightly alters the angle of an opponent's attack before quickly retaliating with a counter strike. When making a Standard Attack with a lightsaber that is held in one hand, you gain a +2 gear bonus to Defence against all attacks made against you with a lightsaber for 1 full round.
     Practised simplicity (Attack trick): When you miss with a Standard Attack action using a lightsaber, but do not suffer an error, you may immediately spend 1 Edge to make 1 final attack against the same opponent with the same weapon.
     Rising whirlwind (Two-weapon fighting trick): You swing your blades about your body, creating a whirlwind of deadly attacks. Spend 5 Edge and make a single sequence of attack and damage rolls as allowed by your two-weapon feats, ignoring attack modifiers for using 2 weapons. Apply accordingly.
     Saber swarm (Attack trick): Numerous short two-handed blows rain down upon your foe.
     Sarlaac sweep (Attack trick): Spend 3 Edge. If the spread quality is triggered, the target is also considered flanked for the purpose of this attack. Damage is considered subdual.
     Shiak (Anticipate Trick): An honourable method of inflicting serious injury because stabbing causes the least visible injury to the opponent's body. Spend 4 Edge. You may make a single Standard Attack with a lightsaber, your threat range increases by 3 and you gain a +3 bonus with damage.
     Still leaf (Initiative trick): When in Jedi stance you may spend 1 Edge to increase your Defence by 2.
     Su Ma (Attack trick): You’re everywhere! Spend 3 Edge to make an attack check using your Acrobatics bonus, after which you relocate to any vacant square adjacent to your opponent. If the check is a Threat you choose to convert the attack damage to stress damage. If it is a critical success you may instead inflict your standard Sneak attack damage even if the opponent is not flat-footed.
     Sun djem (Disarm trick): There is no fight when there is no weapon. When you make a successful Disarm check, you may spend 2 Edge to either destroy the weapon or ready it yourself as a free action.
     Swift flank (Bluff action): You leap and dash around an opponent to make a quick strike, trying to catch him off guard. Spend 3 Edge and make a single attack using your Bluff bonus, then determine your position using the Deviation chart.
     Torn leaf (Bullrush trick): Spend 5 edge. Select an opponent and calculate the results of a Bullrush action using your Force Manipulation skill, except you remain stationary and the target is moved away from your current square. Before determining how far the target moves, apply the damage of a single standard attack. If you win the action, you may determine which direction the target is move in. If the check is a critical success, the attack also gains the double hot quality.
     Twin strike (Two-weapon fighting trick): Your blades come down upon your foe in a powerful slashing arc. Spend 2 Edge; your Threat range increases by 2 and the attack gains an additional keen 10.
    Vornskr’s fury (Attack trick): Spend 5 Edge & take 1 full action. Swift Flank, Swift Flank followed by Assured Strike as though benefiting from 4 Edge total. At the end of the chain, you become both fatigued and flat-footed until your next Initiative count. You must possess both tricks to use this chain.
     Walking fire (Attack trick): Spend 3 Edge. You benefit from your Jedi Defence stance when taking attack actions.
     Wind shield (Initiative trick): When in Jedi stance you may spend 1 Edge to use the Shield Block trick with a readied lightsaber. You must posses the Shield Block advanced action to use this trick.

Weapon Qualities
     Fortress: If an opponent has moved into a square adjacent to you since your last initiative count, you gain a +2 bonus to your attack check and damage roll against that opponent.
     Full Circle: This attack affects all opponents adjacent to you. Make only one attack check and compare it to each target's defence separately.
     Plus: Perform the indicated move after completing this attack. You ignore the Edge cost and Time of the plus move.
     Stagger: The target is also slowed for 1 round.
     Stride: You may move this number of squares before making the attack.
     Sweep: The target is also sprawled.
     Double Hit: If the attack succeeds by 4 or more, you inflict damage twice.
     Triple Hit: If the attack succeeds by 4 or more, you inflict damage twice. If the attack succeeds by 10 or more, you inflict damage three times.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:14:35 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: