Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 01:21:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  1.0 vs 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.0 vs 2.0  (Read 1515 times)
mserabian
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the d20 system but I like the old version (1.0) of spycraft and I love the Shadowforce Archer campaign setting. I've picked up the 2.0 version of spycraft and world on fire - and WOW there's a lot of crunch there! I like the new version of char gen as it seems to make cooler and more varied characters than 1.0 but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to pair down the actual play mechanics to something simpler.

So to put it another way - I like the 2.0 version of char gen BUT i prefer the simpler play mechanics of 1.0... Has anyone tried to marry these two game elements together and do you have any suggestions for me?

On a related note I've picked up all the pdfs of the shadowforce archer line and the core book has conversions to 2.0 but none of the other books do. Has anyone worked on conversions of the shadowforce archer splats to 2.0?

thanks

mal
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »

The simplest thing to do is just ignore certain rules. Don't like Skill Check Caps? Ignore em. Don't care to memorize all the umpteen billion things you can do with every skill? Wing it when it comes up. It's really simple to run if you just go with the flow rather than looking up every rule that's there, but the rules are there in case you want to use them. For me it's win-win.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

The simplest thing to do is just ignore certain rules. Don't like Skill Check Caps? Ignore em.

Yep. I also pretty much neglect fluid initiative outside of character options.

One thing that might could be done is to translate 2.0 gear progression back to 1.0 BP/GP progression and re-institute gear packages.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:30 PM »

This is exactly what we've done with Mastercraft. Though it's only powering Fantasy Craft for now, you'll soon see it supporting Ten Thousand Bullets and more. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Trigger
Operative

Never Trust Your Contact!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:47:44 AM »

Seems like I'm the only one who uses almost 99% of the 2.0 book's rules.   Wink

I think the only thing that we don't use in our gaming group is the subplots as we have so many backstories and story archs going on.  We're so use to playing with all the crunch that it doesn't seem to bog anything down at all anymore.

"Identity confirmed...welcome agent"
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »

Seems like I'm the only one who uses almost 99% of the 2.0 book's rules.   Wink

Never fear - we have new stuff coming down the pipe for you as well.

I think the only thing that we don't use in our gaming group is the subplots as we have so many backstories and story archs going on.  We're so use to playing with all the crunch that it doesn't seem to bog anything down at all anymore.

Glad to hear it! All that matters is you having fun. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Solitare
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »

At the moment we are running a con based game in the UK called For Queen and Country.  This is a living base campaign which runs using elements of both system.  This came about  because of the ending of Living spycraft. The majorite of the people who played the living campaign wanted it to continue and not in version 2.0. 

With this we had a meeting and a team decided to pull from both systems.  So far we have completed the first season total of 9 mods and are in process of writting season 2.

http://www.fqc.org.uk/

Gareth Morris ( Rules Guy)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: