Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 07:01:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] New advanced actions and tricks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] New advanced actions and tricks  (Read 1154 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:45:23 AM »

Here are two new advanced actions and tricks I though might be interesting. I am not sure they're balanced though. Actually, I'm even quite certain they're unbalanced somehow, so I request your kind assistance. Thanks Tongue

Sensational Entrance
1 full action • Movement Action

This action is effective only during the first round the character enters a fight. The character may move up to his Speed, Jump or Tumble as part of this action. He also makes an Acrobatics (Cha) check and loses the hidden or invisible condition, while all his adversaries lose the flat-footed condition, if any. In exchange, if a crowd large enough - around 10 people, GM's call - witnesses the action, the Reputation of the character raises depending on his result. With a critical success, the character's adversaries remain flat-footed, if they were. With a critical failaure, the character doesn't gain any Reputation and ends up his movement sprawled.
Code:
Result                  up to 19 20-29    30-39  40-49  50+
Reputation increase    +0   +1 +2        +3      +4
Note: A character cannot gain more Reputation this way than he has Legend in the course of a single adventure.

Contrepèterie (how do you say this in English?)
Taunt Trick : The character can substitute his Impress (Int) bonus for the check. Further, if successful, his smart words improve the Disposition of all witnesses by 4 until the end of the scene. With a critical success, this improvement is permanent. With a critical failure, the Disposition of all witnesses worsens by the same amount until the end of the scene.

The latter is obviously inspired from Monkey Island.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:32:32 AM by aegis » Logged
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »

Contrepèterie (how do you say this in English?).

Near as I can tell by using internet translation and hacking off parts of the suffix... to misspeak? Slip of the tongue? Either one doesn't seem like something that you do on purpose, (like a trick), maybe something more like Tongue-lashing? Seems kinda squicky when you think about it, but people do use the phrase... perhaps Lambaste would also work...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »

How to phrase that ...

It's when you say a sentence that seems completely harmless, but when you switch the position of few letters, it has a completely different (and often crude) meaning. If you use a contrepèterie against someone and he doesn't notice it (while some members of the audience do), it sure gives you a moral edge.

Other than that, no comment at all on the game effects?
Daedalus
Operative

Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »

You French guys and your complex linguistic constructions! Wink  I always wondered if there was a word for lying to someone with no intent to deceive.  Essentially if you're ignorant/misinformed and tell someone something as it were truth. 

This problem came up a lot with me in high school ( Roll Eyes ) and I imagine it comes up a lot with role-playing characters, too.

EDIT: More on topic, bonus reputation granted in such a way might need to be limited to once per adventure or something reasonable, since Reputation is a major currency in the game world.  Alternatively, you could limit to to use for Favors with those audience members.  Otherwise I imagine every Swashbuckler will want to pick this one up to augment their crowd-pleasing abilities.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:22:29 PM by Daedalus » Logged
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »

The closest I can think of to your description, aegis, is double entedre.

Mortadelo
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

Spoonerism?

The Thane of Spain
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

Spoonerism?

Yeah, that's what the translation program gave me, but nobody actually says that. In addition to being a horribly anachronistic word for a Fantasy setting.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »

Spoonerism?

Yeah, that's what the translation program gave me, but nobody actually says that. In addition to being a horribly anachronistic word for a Fantasy setting.

Sounds like something a guy is required to do while sleeping next to his significant other — and that my comrades and friends is certainly a skill.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »

Sounds like something a guy is required to do while sleeping next to his significant other — and that my comrades and friends is certainly a skill.

It's so much easier in the early stages of a relationship. You can just wake up in the middle of a night to find a girl wrapped around your arm.  Tongue

Apparently, I make a great pillow.  Undecided

Reapercussions
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »

Apparently, I make a great pillow.  Undecided

LOL  Grin

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »