Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 09:27:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Interest: LSpy Year 6 PbP #2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which year 6 mission would you be interested in playing.
Robbing Peter   -3 (20%)
Double Tap   -3 (20%)
Peace of Mind   -2 (13.3%)
The Judas Protocol   -1 (6.7%)
Dr. M   -3 (20%)
Paying Your Dues   -3 (20%)
Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Interest: LSpy Year 6 PbP #2  (Read 2531 times)
Psion
Control

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

We just completed an LSpy PbP of Triple Play. A number of participant there expressed that they would like to play again, but most expressed a preference for playing here. Since there are now spoilers here and we don't have to worry about these boards going away, I see no reason why not.

So, I'm looking for interest in running another PbP. I would like to continue running the year 6 adventures (because most players will probably be running in year 7 adventures at Cons... me included.) I am NOT interested in running Running for Whose Life.

I'll probably be using similar conventions to the ones I was using on the ENWorld PbP, but I think a few changes are in order:
1) No posts in the IC thread that are just OOC/Spoilers responding to other OOC/Spoilers. OOC details are appropriate to the IC thread are fine and good, but there should always be an IC post to anchor it to. Otherwise, take it to the OOC thread.
2) I'd like to institute a "drop dead" date. That is, just like a con game, if you aren't done at the end of the allotted time, you just get credit for how far you got. I'm thinking ~1 week per hour a con game would take.
3) I would like players to put more thought into their instinct write-ups. I may create some explicit requirements, such as combat strategy and retreat criteria. Often players get called offline for a long time and I really need to take liberties to move the game forward.

I would like to get one put away before GenCon, but I have to be realistic and accept that is not going to happen, because I have too much other stuff going on. So, if we do start, it might be a bit lazy the first month, but then ramp things up and enforce a drop dead date in the middle or end of September.

So, who would be interested and what year 6 scenarios would you be most interested in? I'm most interested in the next 2 after Running (Robbing Peter and Double Tap), but if there's a strong slant towards the later ones, I'll take that into consideration.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »

I'd like to play again, but if you want to spread the love a little that's fine.
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »

Yeah, I'd want back in. Not sure how to get the characterization thing done. To be honest, the game kinda moved in "bursts"...there just didn't seem to be much IC time to spread our a personality since we were racing from one disaster to the next one, basically. Not sure how to solve that.

Above all, I think it's just some teething. We need to get a better idea of what you need from us to run the game, which I think will come in time. I'd vote against a time limit - like I said above, the whole thing felt rushed at times. PbP games move slowly, especially at the beginning when the players aren't fully invested in characters and setting. At least that's been my experience - the really quick-moving & detailed ones came in when the players had to do more than their "day job" and started coordinating their wonderful, horrible ideas.

Gatac
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »

Yeah, I'd want back in. Not sure how to get the characterization thing done. To be honest, the game kinda moved in "bursts"...there just didn't seem to be much IC time to spread our a personality since we were racing from one disaster to the next one, basically. Not sure how to solve that.

Well, that may be in part due to this particular scenario, and in part due to the nature of con games.

Let me ask this: are most of you into this into it for the LSpy aspect? Because if I were running a homebrew non-LSpy scenario:
1) it might give me a bit more latitude with the flow of the adventure
2) would create more opportunities for me to weave the characters into the world.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »

Yup, want in.

Also, in it entirely for the LSpy because otherwise I don't get to LSpy at all.

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »

I'm hoping to start doing some LSpy next year (hopefully) once we've got our house sorted and the like - so LSpy's good. Though I'd play either way.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »

Looks like LSpy it is.

There are a few options that I can exercise without breaking with the LSpy gospel. Smiley

First, Subplots are golden. I do find some of them are demanding if the player doesn't give you a good one to work with (I'm experiencing this in my home game), but good ones can give you some other ways to customize the adventure and make it more personal.

Second, I can customize any adventure with events. I didn't think it was appropriate for the last game, because I felt it was taking too much real time as it was and the in-game timing didn't allow for it. However, I certainly had more than enough action dice (as Gatac found out) to drop in events.

insight
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:17:29 AM »

I'd like to get in on another game.

Machete has a subplot which I cannot get anyone to use.  GCs at cons just don't have time to use subplots, and I feel like subplots are really something nice to use to customize your character.

Anyway, count me in if we get another game going.  Any of the missions you mentioned are fine with me.

Avast, Ye Salty Dogs, a Pirate-Themed Setting for Spycraft... Coming Soon!
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

Does anyone specifically NOT want to play Robbing Peter?

I prefer Double Tap myself, but I'd rather play Double Tap after everyone's 2nd level at least. Which they should be if we finish Robbing Peter.

I can also pay Subplots a little more mind if we take this one a little slower... that said, much of Robbing Peter happens a little further from civilization, so some may be harder to work in.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: