Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:25:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Notebook] Soul Reapers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Notebook] Soul Reapers  (Read 2216 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »

Soul Reaper
The ones from the manga/anime Bleach. Check Wikipedia if you’re curious.

Party Role: Combatant. Soul reapers excel in direct combat, closing with the enemy and annihilating them with superior swordsmanship and unique magical techniques. A scattered few devote themselves to support roles, but remain fiercely deadly when provoked.

Class Features
Requirements: Edged forte, Athletics 4+, Sword Basics feat
Favored Attributes: Strength, Charisma
Caster: Each level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Impress, Intimidate, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, Tactics
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Core Ability
Fighting Spirit: You gain 1 Edge at the beginning of each combat during a standard scene. You gain 2 Edge at the beginning of each combat during a dramatic scene.

Class Abilities
Zanpaku-to: 1 At Level 1, you may coalesce your fighting spirit into a semi-physical weapon – the ‘zanpaku-to’.  You may summon or dismiss this weapon at any time as a handle item action. The zanpaku-to shares the same statistics as a katana (see Fantasy Craft, page XX).

While your zanpaku-to is readied, you gain 1 Edge each time you are hit by a special adversary. If you suffer a critical injury from the Table of Ouch more severe than the bleeding condition, you may instead choose to sacrifice your zanpaku-to, breaking the weapon for the same period of time as is normally required to recover from the critical injury. If your zanpaku-to is broken by any other means, you may restore it by dismissing it and summoning it normally.

Shikai!: At Level 2, choose any 1h or 2h melee weapon with up to +100% in upgrades and a single spell of Level 3 or less and with no preparation cost or special requirements (i.e. the completion of a subplot for wish I). As a full action you may spend 5 Edge to ‘release’ your zanpaku-to to its ‘shikai form’, revealing the unique abilities of your weapon. While in shikai form, your zanpaku-to takes on these statistics and you may cast the chosen spell as a Priest by spending by Edge equal to the spell’s level + 1. It returns to its normal (katana) form at the end of the current scene.

Secrets of the 13 Squads: Despite the common base in their training, soul reapers often achieve their goals by very different means. At Levels 3, 5, 7, and 9 you may choose 1 of the following benefits. Each benefit may be chosen only once.

•   Blade Save: Once per adventure when you would take damage that would reduce your wounds to less than 0, you may instead allow your zanpaku-to to be broken to reduce that damage to 0. You may not summon your zanpaku-to again for the remainder of the current adventure.
•   Circle of Power I: You may cast Level 1 and lower spells you know. You may only select this ability if you have ranks in the Spellcasting skill.
•   Excellence: Your highest attribute rises by 1.
•   Kido Master: You may purchase ranks in the Spellcasting skill, learn Glory, Refuge, and Seal spells, and cast Level 0 and level spells you know. Also, when you fail a Spellcasting check to cast a spell of these Disciplines, no spell points are spent on the attempt. If you already possess this ability from another class, you instead gain an additional Spellcasting feat.
•   Permanent Release: You may summon zanpaku-to in its shinkai form.
•   Poise: Your lowest attribute rises by 2.
•   Promotion: Your heroic or military renown increases by 1 rank.
•   Sneak Attack: You gain an additional die of sneak attack damage.

Bonus Feat: At Levels 4 and 8, you gain an additional Melee Combat or Covert feat.

Uncanny Dodge I: Your senses are supremely sharp, letting you react quickly to danger. At Level 4, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed.

Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 8, you never become flanked.

Expertise: At Level 6, choose one: Acrobatics, Athletics, Impress, Intimidate, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, or Tactics. Taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 only takes only 10 times as long.

Silk and Steel: Soul reapers, by virtue of speed, toughness, or unearthly skill, become incredibly difficult to kill. At Level 7, if you have 4 or more Edge, opponents may not inflict critical hits upon you.

Bankai!: At Level 10, choose a single spell of Level 7 or less and with no preparation cost or special requirements (i.e. the completion of a subplot for wish II). If your blade is in shikai form, as a full action you may spend 5 Edge to release your zanpaku-to to its ‘bankai form’. While your zanpaku-to is in its bankai form you may cast the chosen spell as a Priest by spending by 5 Edge. It returns to its normal (katana) form at the end of the current scene.

Table 1: The Soul Reaper
Lvl BAB Frt Ref Wll Def Init Ls Lg SP Special
 1   +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +1  +0 +0  1 Fighting spirit, zanpaku-to
 2   +2  +2  +2  +2  +1  +1  +0 +1  2 Shikai!
 3   +3  +2  +2  +2  +2  +2  +1 +1  3 Secrets of the 13 squads
 4   +4  +2  +2  +2  +2  +2  +1 +1  4 Bonus feat, uncanny dodge I
 5   +5  +3  +3  +3  +3  +3  +1 +1  5 Secrets of the 13 squads
 6   +6  +3  +3  +3  +4  +4  +2 +2  6 Expertise
 7   +7  +4  +4  +4  +4  +4  +2 +2  7 Secrets of the 13 squads, silk and steel
 8   +8  +4  +4  +4  +5  +5  +2 +2  8 Bonus feat, uncanny dodge II
 9   +9  +4  +4  +4  +5  +5  +3 +2  9 Secrets of the 13 squads
10 +10  +5  +5  +5  +6  +6  +3 +3 10 Bankai!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:38:54 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »

Shouldn't Secrets of the 13 Squads have, say, 13 options to chose from?

Zanpaku-to is intriguing. Be interesting to see what happens if you kick an Unborn Soulreaper off a cliff.

Permanent Release: You may summon zanpaku-to in its shinkai form, and it does not revert to its normal (katana) form at the end of combat.

Do you mean end of scene? How does Bankai interact with this?

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »

Thanks, Mr. A, you broke my brain with the idea of an Unborn Soul Reaper.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »

Bleach means nothing to me

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »

Well, the basic concept is that Soul Reapers (or Soul Slayers or Shinigami depending on your translation) are like the police of the Soul Society AKA the afterlife. Their primary job is cleansing corrupted souls, known as hollows, mostly by cutting off their masks with a giant sword. For MOST people, being dead (and thus, a soul) is a prerequisite of being a Soul Reaper. Ichigo (the hero of the series) is a special exception for some reason or another, but he still has to leave his mortal body to get all his nifty Soul Reaper powers.

Long story short: To be an Unborn Soul Reaper requires that the setting assume that A) Constructs have souls, and B) Their souls are mostly identical to their bodies. Given that pretty much every character in the series is human...
Actually, now that I think of it, Mod Souls might count as spirit constructs, but they can't become soul reapers anyway, so the point is moot. (I think, I haven't seen the whole series, so I might have missed something in there).

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »

Neat class, even thou I've never seen Bleach.  The only thing I can think of is that you seem to use Edge at a fairly rapid rate, and I can't figure out how to reliably have more then say 3 pts at any given time [4 in a dramatic scene].  Which kinda makes alot of your tricks extremely prohibitive.  Unless theres a way to gain edge that I'm unaware of?
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »

This class gives you one Edge generating ability (fight with special adversaries). There are a number of Edge-based feat chains I've written that generally include 1 eEdge-building trick per chain. Some are scheduled for later FC products, others are here on this board. Try a search for my screen name and the word Edge and a few may turn up (though it's possible they vanished with my notebook posts).

In general I build with the expectation a dedicated Edge user will gain about 2 Edge per round, while a casual Edge user will gain about .8 per round.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »

Shouldn't Secrets of the 13 Squads have, say, 13 options to chose from?
That would be more appropriate if you only gained the ability once Smiley.
Zanpaku-to is intriguing. Be interesting to see what happens if you kick an Unborn Soulreaper off a cliff.
Conceivably the soul reaper would somehow dig his blade into the cliff slowing his fall but snapping it, or someother cunning use of the plot-device-that-walks-like-a-sword to explain how he survived but it didn't.
Permanent Release: You may summon zanpaku-to in its shinkai form, and it does not revert to its normal (katana) form at the end of combat.
Do you mean end of scene?
Yes. Fixed.
How does Bankai interact with this?
It's in shikai, so you only need to spend 5 more edge to get it to bankai. It's basically 5 free Edge that can only be used for one very specific purpose.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »

Thanks morg. Now I have to add Bleach to the list of games I want to run...  Grin

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »

Cleaned up, rebalanced, and now appearing on the FC DB Smiley.

Doublebond
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »

Kind of appropriate, given what Soul Reapers are...  Smiley

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: