Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 11:03:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  The Lost World, Powered by Spycraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lost World, Powered by Spycraft  (Read 3312 times)
insight
Recruit

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »

I was thinking it might be cool to design a number of scenarios using the Spycraft rules.  I really like the Spycraft basic mechanics, and I'd like to find a way to apply them to another setting.  The setting I'm interested in right now is a 1920s - 1940s "lost world" setting where characters travel to a specific "unexplored" part of Earth known as the "Lost World".  Here, characters encounter all sorts of strange things such as dinosaurs, mastodons, savages, and Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.

The reason for my post is that I'd like to solicit ideas from the Spycraft fanbase on the best way to accomplish this.  Obviously, Spycraft is designed for a modern espionage game, so changes would need to be made not only in the base classes available (no Hackers for obvious reasons), but also in terms of gear (early 20th century vs. now).  I think you could still have a "mission/objective" scenario design, though the missions and objectives would be different than your typical Spycraft game.

Thoughts?

Avast, Ye Salty Dogs, a Pirate-Themed Setting for Spycraft... Coming Soon!
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »

Quick version - Remove Hacker & Snoop, Remove the Electronics gear catagory (any classes with E picks can be switched to something else, probably G) any electronics that you feel could be available can switch to G.
Strip out any gear that shouldn't be available (once Electronics table is removed, it's just removing some weapons, armour and vehicles I think).
Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »

Actually, I'd had a similar idea, though based on Pelucidar rather than Doyles Lost World (And the later Dinosaur Summer pseudo sequal by Greg Bear).

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »

Wow, i just had a total flashback to 'Cadillacs and Dinosaurs'. Made me go and dig out my copy of the RPG...

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 09:31:17 AM »

It does look like it'd be a fun licence...

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »

I was thinking it might be cool to design a number of scenarios using the Spycraft rules.  I really like the Spycraft basic mechanics, and I'd like to find a way to apply them to another setting.  The setting I'm interested in right now is a 1920s - 1940s "lost world" setting where characters travel to a specific "unexplored" part of Earth known as the "Lost World".  Here, characters encounter all sorts of strange things such as dinosaurs, mastodons, savages, and Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.

Hm... Where did I put that foil pith helmet...

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »

And another of the Magnificent Ten creeps closer to the light...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »

Is that anything to do with the Wold-Newton universe?

insight
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »

Well, the idea has morphed into a pulp action story set in a "lost world" full of dinosaurs, savages, magic, etc.  It's not the Lost World of Arthur Conan Doyle or anyone else, just a loosely defined setting that's set somewhere hidden on Earth, accessible only in certain ways perhaps, with a pulp era (1920s - 1940s) tech level.

I'm still kicking this idea around, so maybe when and if I have something more concrete, I'll post something.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »

Is that anything to do with the Wold-Newton universe?
Unless I would know it by another name, probably not.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 11:26:57 PM »

The Wold Newton family is a literary concept derived from a form of crossover fiction developed by the science fiction writer Philip José Farmer. Farmer suggested in two fictional "biographies" of fictional characters (Tarzan Alive and Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life), that the (real) meteorite which fell in Wold Newton, England, on December 13, 1795 was radioactive and caused genetic mutations in the occupants of a passing coach. Many of their descendants were thus endowed with extremely high intelligence and strength, as well as an exceptional capacity and drive to perform good, or, as the case may be, evil deeds. The progeny of these travellers were purported to have been the real-life originals of fictionalised characters, both heroic and villainous, over the last few hundred years, such as Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Doc Savage, and Lord Peter Wimsey.

Other popular characters that Philip José Farmer concluded were members of the Wold Newton mutant family include: Solomon Kane; Captain Blood; The Scarlet Pimpernel; Sherlock Holmes's nemesis Professor Moriarty; Phileas Fogg; The Time Traveller (main character of The Time Machine by H. G. Wells); Allan Quatermain; A.J. Raffles; Professor Challenger; Richard Hannay; Bulldog Drummond; the evil Fu Manchu and his adversary, Sir Denis Nayland Smith; G-8; The Shadow; Sam Spade; Doc Savage's cousin Patricia Savage, and one of his five assistants, Monk Mayfair; The Spider; Nero Wolfe; Mr. Moto; The Avenger; Philip Marlowe; James Bond; Lew Archer; Travis McGee; Monsieur Lecoq; and Arsène Lupin.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:54:27 AM »

That's quite clever Smiley.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »

If overly contrived in places - for instance, Modesty Blaise is the illegitimate half-Barsoomian daughter of Tarzan

insight
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »

So here's what I'm thinking in a nutshell...

This is set in the pulp era, 1920s - 1940s, so assume that sort of technological and social levels of complexity and whatnot.

There is a small continent that exists in the gap between our dimension and another.  You can only access this continent through a certain point on our world (we'll say Tierra Del Fuego or something just for the sake of argument for now).  For security reasons, the existence of this continent is known only to a few people.

The continent is largely unexplored, mostly because exploration of the continent has been halted or slowed many times by the existence of a variety of beasts (dinosaurs and such) indigenous to the continent. 

The United States and other interested parties have set up a 'base camp' just inside the entryway to this continent.  It is from this 'base camp' that expeditions to the continent's interior are launched.  The 'interested parties', also known as the Founders, intend to map out the continent and learn what exactly lives there (and also what sort of natural resources exist there) before informing the general public as to its existence.

That's where the Player Characters come in.  They are explorers, sent into the unexplored interior of the continent on specific missions to learn more about the place.  Since the Founders have a vague map of the exterior, and a general idea of the major landmarks (volcanos, mountains, vast forests, jungles, lakes can be seen from the air), missions often involve instructions such as "go to the base of the great volcano and detail what you find there".

Found on the continent will be not only dinosaurs, but also humanoids who have a very basic culture and language.  There may be more than one group of said humanoids, and some of them may not look much like humans (they could be reptilian in appearance, for example).  There will also be magic, the nature of which I haven't fully defined.  I am not going to use Vancian magic, so I don't think I'll be able to use much of the extant Spellbound material unfortunately.

That's what I've got for now.

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »

This is set in the pulp era, 1920s - 1940s, so assume that sort of technological and social levels of complexity and whatnot.

There is a small continent that exists in the gap between our dimension and another.  You can only access this continent through a certain point on our world (we'll say Tierra Del Fuego or something just for the sake of argument for now).  For security reasons, the existence of this continent is known only to a few people.

I've been thinking of a similar lost world... but more of a modern lost world. I had considered doing something similar to that with a setup like The Chasm Group.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: