Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 03:17:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  "Showcase" Pregen Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Showcase" Pregen Party  (Read 1152 times)
Psion
Control

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

Okay, as mentioned in another thread I'm considering running fantasy craft at some upcoming gamedays. What sorts of characters would you make for pregens for such an event?

I'm thinking ideas that would be playable and fun, but would also sort of highlight that "this isn't D&D".

I may have a few fantasy rpg classics, but I'm also thinking some odd characters you couldn't do in D&D would be good.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:09:23 AM by Psion » Logged

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

You might find something you like in this thread: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2867.0

"You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you." -Shepherd Book, _Firefly_ "Jaynestown"
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »

I would throw in one or two of the 'savage' races - like an Orc, Goblin, or Ogre. A Drake might be too much for some people, though.

As for classes, include at least one Courtier, Sage, or Keeper, one Soldier, Lancer, or Captain, one Assassin or Burgular, and a Mage or a Priest. That gives you a sampling of the different class types, and shows how some of the more familiar ones are different from DnD.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »

I think Drake is just the sort of thing that says "this isn't your daddy's d20 system", and is just the sort of thing that makes a particular sort of player go "oooh".

But I am also playing with an idea for an Unborn Fencer ("You killed my maker... prepare to die") and a Fire Brave Ogre, and all 3 in the same party may be a bit over the top. Smiley

I do dig the drake warden in the thread Paladin linked.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »

The pregens I've made for a showoff of FC are:

Pech Adventurer, Sage
Striking Human Aristocrat, Mage
Saurian Priest, Cleric (with as many of the Curse feats as possible)
Orc Criminal, Burglar
Ogre Gladiator, Captain (with a kobold lackey)
Goblin Druid, Lancer  (wolf-rider with 2nd wolf)
Dwarf Guardian, Soldier

What I noticed:
The Captain, Lancer, and Soldier each stepped on each others toes in some way.

An Unborn Fencer was one idea I considered,

It's been when I've told people that Ents and Dragons (Rootwalkers and Drakes) are playable, that I've gotten the biggest reaction.

Just as a note, if you're designing (or modifying) an adventure for FC and have Large creatures common in your setting, door & hallways may need to be resized.

I aim to misbehave.
Daedalus
Operative

Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »

Yeah, it's important that the players get the distinct impression that this isn't just a 3.5 in window dressing. 
If you make a Mage, you'll need to make spell selections in the design philosophy that "I will use these spells eventually" and should probably choose a thematic mage form one of the schools. I would personally prefer to see a Priest instead of a Mage if you only have to pick one, but Priests are my favs anyway.  Tongue
Maybe make an Assassin AND a Burglar to show how they play differently.  This may turn some people off but I always thought the archetype could use expanding.
Being able to play Large races from the get-go is new, too, so you should probably have at least one Rootwalker or Giant or if all else fails an Ogre or Drake.
Introduce the idea that Talents and Specialties can either enhance specialization or add diversity to a character build, since those tastes differ from person to person. What I'd call "Bard-Lovers" hate to see that super-specialization is the sole mode of badassery.
Other than that, you guys already seem to have the right idea.  Man, making PC's for FC is so fun, I might just go do that now...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:20:07 PM by Daedalus » Logged
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »

Man, making PC's for FC is so fun, I might just go do that now...

Well, there are 16 less than 16,000 combinations of Species/Talent, Specialty, and Class...
so don't spend forever.

I aim to misbehave.
Daedalus
Operative

Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »

Man, making PC's for FC is so fun, I might just go do that now...

Well, there are 16 less than 16,000 combinations of Species/Talent, Specialty, and Class...
so don't spend forever.

Don't forget feat selections and skill rank expenditures.  I'm not doing the math on that, but that's a lot of choices!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: