Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 02:10:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Sage's Breadth of Experience
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sage's Breadth of Experience  (Read 6217 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 03:41:08 AM »

Blessed (Spellcasting Feat) & Acolyte (Priest ability) can't be stacked onto the same path right? They both say first step on one of your paths...

Thats been my intepretation at home.  Otherwise with certain campaign qualities a priest can cast 3rd level spells at career level 3...
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 03:57:36 AM »

Blessed (Spellcasting Feat) & Acolyte (Priest ability) can't be stacked onto the same path right? They both say first step on one of your paths...

Correct. *respectful nod to Alex's cunning*

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
knight.errant
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 04:09:43 AM »

You need to (or your GM needs to) establish the Alignments before play.  I'm going through mine in Wyrmstone right now without a sufficient roadmap since the opposed Alignments aren't posted.

Rules of thumb for Alignments seem to be:
1. Abstract Concepts get fewer paths,(2-3) and maybe one opposed.
2. Organizational or Divine Alignments get more paths,(4-5) but have more complex relationships, including multiple opposed.

EDIT: Q&A Thread BAWW!!  At least they still get 0's.

Wow, removing CoP I from the list of options? Ouchie.

Knights are quick to pledge their loyalty and even quicker to charge into battle.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »

Whoops, missed that.

Ah well. Not like I ever saw a class that could only take level 0 spells at 4th level as a serious contender for spellcaster anyways. Seems like your best bet if you want to go beyond Path of Magic step 2 is to jump into an expert class that gives CoP.

Or, you know, just make a mage. Wink

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »

You need to (or your GM needs to) establish the Alignments before play.  I'm going through mine in Wyrmstone right now without a sufficient roadmap since the opposed Alignments aren't posted.

Rules of thumb for Alignments seem to be:
1. Abstract Concepts get fewer paths,(2-3) and maybe one opposed.
2. Organizational or Divine Alignments get more paths,(4-5) but have more complex relationships, including multiple opposed.

EDIT: Q&A Thread BAWW!!  At least they still get 0's.

Wow, removing CoP I from the list of options? Ouchie.

Heh, as you noted yourself, there are specific order of operations problems that having COP on the Sage's list was causing, plus there are larger issues for completely nonfunctional character choices to be made - the Sage grabbing both Subtle and Quick to Anger and CoP only to find out he can't cast Level 1 spells due to no spell points (which are part of his class progression, not the class ability). And then there's the Seer issue of breaking the spell-level progression....Pat and I spent about an hour last night discussing and the solution Morg made of removing COP entirely was the best of many more cludgy or outright ugly alternatives.

I blame Number Three Wink

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »

I blame Number Three Wink

Oh yeah, that's a sig quote there.  Does this mean I get to claim responsibility for causing official Crafty errata?

On a related future note, do you guys have any plans on handling the Seer cross-training Path of the Devoted / Blessed feat combo?  It does the same thing as leaving CoPI on the list, but at the cost of a feat and your alignment. Grin

(That's actually why I'm not as impressed with the better cross-casting through Path of Magic.  In my mind, it's not a dabbler in magic, but a Servant of [Insert Name of Magic God Here].  Not a minor distinction IMO when your GM has to use the campaign quality and approve an appropriate alignment, and opens you up to all affections that trigger off alignment.)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:45:38 AM by Number Three » Logged

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »

(That's actually why I'm not as impressed with the better cross-casting through Path of Magic.  In my mind, it's not a dabbler in magic, but a Servant of [Insert Name of Magic God Here].  Not a minor distinction IMO when your GM has to use the campaign quality and approve an appropriate alignment, and opens you up to all affections that trigger off alignment.)

To me, that's sort of awesome. It's a nice little bit of "rules texture" just waiting to have a bit of campaign background written to it.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: