Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 08:36:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Example New Species for Fantasy Craft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Example New Species for Fantasy Craft  (Read 10511 times)
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »

I thought that was a particularly beautiful construction.

I aim to misbehave.
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »

'tis good, very elegant.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »

I built these species feats back in first printing.  I've tried to revise them, but since they mostly relied on a document outlining costs for parts of species feats from first printing I have no idea how balanced they are.

Nocturnal:
You are well adapted for the night.
Pre: Level 1 only.
Benefit: You gain darkvision I and light sensitive, and your hearing range increments are equal to your Wis score x10 ft, and you may always act during a surprise round unless deafened.
Special: When you take this feat you may reduce any of your attributes by 2 to gain an additional Species feat with the requirement “Level 1 only”.

Amphibious:
You are as at home in water as you are on land.
Benefit: You gain a +5 bonus with Swim checks, superior swimmer II, and the aquatic I quality.
Special: When you take this feat you may reduce any of your attributes by 2 to gain an additional Species feat with the requirement “Level 1 only”.

Arboreal:
Branches are as good as ground to you.
Benefit: You gain a +5 bonus with Climb and Jump checks and are always considered to have climber’s gear.

Miniature:
You never quite managed to grow up.
Pre: Medium size, Level I only.
Benefit: You are Small size, and you gain a +5 bonus on Conceal Action checks and your Dexterity rises by 1.

Snake Tail:
Your lower half is that of a serpent.
Benefit: You have a tail instead of legs and gain improved stability and tail slap I, and a +5 bonus to Swim checks.  You may not make Break Fall or Extend Jump checks.

Four-Legged:
Your lower body is that of a powerful, clawed animal.
Benefit: You are a clawed quadruped of your size below the waste, and gain improved stability and claw I, and your ground speed increases by 10 ft.  You may not make Break Fall or Tumble checks.

Centaur:
Below your waste you have the form of a wild horse instead of a pair of sluggish stilts.
Pre: Medium size, Level 1 only.
Benefit: You have a horse lower body of Large (1x2) size with Reach 1.  You gain a 50% increase to you encumbrance rating, trample I and kick I, and your ground speed increases by 10 ft.  You may not make Climb, Break Fall, or Tumble checks, you may only use weapons as a Medium size creature, and you gain fatal falls.

Kuomo:
Pre: Medium size, Level 1 only
Benefit: You have the lower body of a spider, and are Large size (2x2) with Reach 1.  The DC of your Climb checks decrease by 1/2 normal (rounded up).  Additionally you may produce spider webbing, allowing you to create the equivalent of climbing gear that may be used by one additional person at a time.  You may not make Break Fall, Tumble, or Mask checks and you may only wield weapons as a Medium creature.

Serqet:
Pre: Medium size, Level 1 only
Benefit: You are a scorpion below the waist, and are Large size (2x2) with Reach 1.  You gain stinger I, grappler, and thick hide 2.  You may not make Break Fall, Tumble, or Mask checks and you may only wield weapons as a Medium creature.

Winged:
You have wings, be they feathered, leathery, or insectile.
Pre: Level 1 only
Benefit: You have winged flight 50 ft and an extra benefit based on the type of wing:
* Sea Bird: +5 bonus to Swim checks, but -5 ft on flight speed.
* Songbird: You gain two additional Interests which must be spent either on a Study related to performance or a Language, but your Strength decreases by 1.
* Falcon/Hawk: +1 bonus to Acrobatics skill.
* Eagle: Your Charisma rises by 1.
* Moth: +5 bonus to Intimidate with the Threaten action, but your Constitution decreases by 1.
* Dragonfly: +5 ft to flight speed.
* Wyvern: Claw I natural attack with wings.
* Bat: +1 bonus to Notice skill.

Slime:
Pre: Level 1 only
Benefit: You gain the Ooze type.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »

Fluff get your lovely fluff here.
I have a lot of old fluff written for other fantasy games; mostly related to new species. So rather than try to convert it all I thought I'd offer it up here. If you have statted fantasy 'race', especially if its an odd one, I might have some fluff for you to use. I have tens of thousands of words lying around. I can re-edit and polish to match FC stats. A viewing by the fresh eyes of the forum might also improve the writing in places. For an example see the raven on the wiki and the rodents below:

Rodents
Here then are rules for playing magical rodents as a worked example of intelligent animals as PCs. Three rodent races are given here derived from mice, rats and dire rats.  Dread rats (intelligent dire rats) are recommended as part of a typical four character party and play most like a standard race. The other two rodent races are too limited in combat and too geared to stealth and scouting to play like typical races. Unless the other characters are very strong combatants, rat and mouse characters work better in parties with five or more characters.
Awakening by druids is the most obvious way to introduce ‘ordinary’ animals as PCs but other options include the referee agreeing that an intelligent species exists or that exposure to arcane energies accidentally alters a brute beast. This last option is especially appealing for rodents who infest alchemist’s workshops, wizard’s towers, bloody temples and hoary ruins as readily as they infest other buildings. In these places they can be subjected to either slow contamination of magical energies over generations or dramatic arcane accidents that change the nature of the rodents. It may even be the case that as in our world rodents are the animals of choice for experiments into the nature of life, experiments that could produce intelligence.
Regardless of origins intelligent rodents are better suited to adventuring than other animals. Rodents are at home in dungeons in a way that wolves, birds and other denizens of the wild ever can be. Rodents also are notable for stealth providing them with a ready role in adventuring parties.

Dread Rats
Dread rats are dire rats that have been imbued with keen intelligence creating a scourge that only professional adventurers or soldiers can drive out. There are few practical reasons to awaken dire rats so they are most often created when alchemical effluent enters sewers or by perverse cults devoted to pestilent rat gods. Compared to the other rodent races, dread rats are closer in to the standard races in play. Unlike the other rodents presented here dread rats are large enough (4’ long and 30 Lb) to pose a threat in combat. Dread rats lack the excellent stealth of smaller rodents but make up for this with mobility.

I also have Magic Mice and Rite Rats but this post was getting over-wordy...

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »

T&T style trolls. The first of a my T&T conversions. Also do we have a cost for tiny and diminuative yet? I need them for leprechauns and fairies.

Trolls
Tall, lanky, strong, and frighteningly cunning trolls are the ultimate monsters of the T&T worlds. Trolls can grow larger over their lives the referee may allow a troll to take the first printing Truly Massive feat waiving the first level only requirement.
Large (2x2), reach 2 [4]) Folk Walker speed 30
+3STR, +3CON, -3CHA [4]
Claws I [1], Bite I [1], Reviled [-1], Limited Proficiencies [-0.5] Repulsive Habits [-0.5], light sensitive [-1].

A pretty basic build any comments?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: