Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 01:42:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Good / Bad Reputation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good / Bad Reputation  (Read 795 times)
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:05:30 AM »

I'm thinking of ways to incorporate the Good & the Bad into Reputation these days. I don't want any NPCs to auto-magically know the party's moral part of their Alignments (if any) but they should know about whether the party's Reputation is good or bad - depending on party's previous endeavors. I don't have the rulebook with me at the moment so I can't check it to see if there's perhaps a campaign quality already for something like that. Any ideas?

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:19:31 AM »

Not a rule or anything, but if the party has high rep / renown I usually have the NPC's recognise the deeds that made them famous.  If they got all that renown from burning down orphanages then most will react negatively.

I'm also pondering, in between other distractions, turning factional reputation into something that might have an automatic effect on disposition - if you do a bunch of work for Evil Incorporated, the folks down at Heroic Endevours Ltd might not have a great opinion of you.   My tentative idea is -2 disposition mod per renown with an opposed faction.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »

I have a (silly) idea.

Bad Reputation (Campaign Only)
Reputation can be either positive, for good deeds, or negative, for misbehaving. Whenever you accomplish something people may love you for, you gain a positive number of Reputation. On the other hand, whenever you accomplish something people may fear you for, you gain a negative number of Reputation.
Concerning any effect reducing your Reputation, independently from whether you're good or bad, it tends to close (positively or negatively) your Reputation to 0. Your Reputation total may not "switch sign" by spending Reputation this way. Only your deeds may change your Reputation "sign".
"Heroes" with negative Reputation may purchase Renown and Rewards like any other character. However, they lose access to the Heroic Renown and instead gain access to the Tyrannic Renown. It functions just like Heroic Renown, however the reaction of NPCs who recognize you as per the Knowledge rules may be quite different ... Note that you may possess both Heroic and Tyrannic Renown, but they don't always work well together, and you may not forfeit one of these: people tend to remember great and despicable acts.

Tyrannic Renown
1. Brigand
2. Bandit
3. Cutthroat
4. Murderer
5. Widow Maker
6. Slaughterer
7. Dark Knight
8. Dark Lord
9. Spawn of Evil
10. Hell Bringer
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:53:24 AM by aegis » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »

yoink,
Just the thing for your classic good vs. evil style of play, not deep but often fun. Would work well in settings like Middle Earth.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: