Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 01:00:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Q&A Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 142 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Q&A Thread!  (Read 201938 times)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2009, 11:51:13 PM »

Please feel free to pose your own questions here, hopefully Pat and/or Alex will answer them. If you can find an answer to a question another poster asked, feel free to answer that too!

First question: Is there a reference that explains how percentage increases to cost from Upgrades stack with each other? I can guess that the percentages only apply to the base cost (ie, upgrading doesn't cost more if it's already upgraded), but I can't find anything that specifically says so.

Followup: How about character options that reduce the price of gear? How does that interact with upgrades? Again, I'd guess that it applies after all upgrades are taken into account, but I can't find a reference to confirm this.

I suspect it goes something like this: A Soldier 3 wants to buy Fitted Dwarven Partial Chainmail Armor. The Chain's base cost is 100s. Fitted is a +100% cost, and Dwarven craftsmanship adds +50% cost. This works out to +150s, for a total price so far of 250s. Then the Soldier's Armor Use class ability kicks in, giving a -20% discount. 20% of 250 is 50, meaning the Soldier ends up paying 200 silver for his nice new armor. Is that correct?

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »

First question: Is there a reference that explains how percentage increases to cost from Upgrades stack with each other? I can guess that the percentages only apply to the base cost (ie, upgrading doesn't cost more if it's already upgraded), but I can't find anything that specifically says so.

Yes, it's applied to base. This was one of those rules that was so obvious we intentionally left it out to help the book's overall approachability and utility. Smiley

Followup: How about character options that reduce the price of gear? How does that interact with upgrades? Again, I'd guess that it applies after all upgrades are taken into account, but I can't find a reference to confirm this.

Upgrades adjust the actual cost of something, and character options are applied to that. We intentionally left this one out as well, on the grounds that most GMs would come to the official conclusion naturally - and those who didn't would hurt nothing by not doing so. Again, approachability and utility.

I suspect it goes something like this: A Soldier 3 wants to buy Fitted Dwarven Partial Chainmail Armor. The Chain's base cost is 100s. Fitted is a +100% cost, and Dwarven craftsmanship adds +50% cost. This works out to +150s, for a total price so far of 250s. Then the Soldier's Armor Use class ability kicks in, giving a -20% discount. 20% of 250 is 50, meaning the Soldier ends up paying 200 silver for his nice new armor. Is that correct?

That's how we'd run it, yes. But again, there's nothing wrong with going a different way - so long as your rules application is consistent.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »

Probably a dump one, I'm just missing but, PC are considered Special characters correct.....

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »

AHA! Found an answer to my first question. It's couched in an Example on Page 155.

EDIT: Sad to say though, the example is wrong. It shouldn't be multiplied by 525%, you add 525% to the cost, which is multiplying by 625%, making the final cost 469s. Otherwise most upgrades would reduce the cost of an item...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:01:14 AM by Agent 333 » Logged

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
samsimilian
Operative

Do or do not... there is no try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »

i found no "deft swing"  trick, but i guess "paractise makes perfect" works perfectly fine

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »

Just for reference, it doesn't actually matter.  100s -20% = 80s +150% = 200
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:24 AM »

Probably a dump one, I'm just missing but, PC are considered Special characters correct.....

We tried to keep the number of times that question would pop up at all to a minimum but in the rare cases when it does, yes, they're special characters.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »

For Iconic Class restrictions, does it apply even to your first base Base Class?

For example, I'm building an Elf Mage, but since Mage is neither a Sage or Scout, am I limited to -2 starting action dice?

"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99
blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »

For Specialties, what was the reasoning for the charming quality for both sorcerer and vanguard, two backgrounds that don't seem very charming in their discriptions?

meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

For Iconic Class restrictions, does it apply even to your first base Base Class?

For example, I'm building an Elf Mage, but since Mage is neither a Sage or Scout, am I limited to -2 starting action dice?

It does apply, which is why you're Elf will probably want to pick up Lore of the Stars (p103). A feat surely first on the shopping list for any Elf Mage.

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »

Yes.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »

For Specialties, what was the reasoning for the charming quality for both sorcerer and vanguard, two backgrounds that don't seem very charming in their discriptions?

Think "commanding."

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

It does apply, which is why you're Elf will probably want to pick up Lore of the Stars (p103). A feat surely first on the shopping list for any Elf Mage.

Ah, thank-you.
Hadn't seen that one yet.

blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »

For Expert Classes, it states that you may begin taking levels (provided you have the requirments of course) at level 5.

So my dream character of Soldier/Alchemist at level nine could be Sol4/Alch5?

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »

For Expert Classes, it states that you may begin taking levels (provided you have the requirments of course) at level 5.

So my dream character of Soldier/Alchemist at level nine could be Sol4/Alch5?

That is correct.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 142 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: