Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 05:59:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Favorite 10KB Films
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite 10KB Films  (Read 16427 times)
blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »

Best car chase modern era: Ronin w/ Robert DeNiro and Jean Reno.
Bar NONE.

IMO, of course.

"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

The final chase in the Blues Brothers, starting from the confrontation with Carrie Fisher in the tunnel all the way through to the arrest in the assessors office.

Best. Chase. EVAH.

blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »

The final chase in the Blues Brothers, starting from the confrontation with Carrie Fisher in the tunnel all the way through to the arrest in the assessors office.

Best. Chase. EVAH.

I stand corrected. Well played, sir.

"Jake! Jake? I gotta pull over!"

and of course....

"Can I have the mic please. Hey, this is Car... what number are we?"
"Five-Four."
"This is Car Fifty-Four. We're in a Truck!"

"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »

Something I think the French Connection and Live in Die in L.A. chases have going for them that a lot of the more recent ones don't is a sense of real palpable danger. The protagonist isn't perfectly avoiding every hazard - they're just barely making it while endangering both themselves and everybody else on the road. Its messy, its desperate, and it many ways its a sign of how obsessed and possibly insane the participants are.

I really liked the Bourne movie car chases for a similar but different reason; they're kinetic. I don't think I've seen as many collisions instigated by the driver in chase scenes, much less situations where the car keeps on going after getting hammered a few times. I don't know how realistic it is that a tiny Euro auto can take that kind of a beating without killing everybody involved, but its almost like they took the intensity of their hand-to-hand fights and applied it to vehicular mayhem.

I don't know if anybody here has seen Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary, but its a '70s chase movie (there were a lot of those, really) which is a bit like Vanishing Point but loopier. Its another case of vehicles with possibly unstable people at the wheels doing amazing/terrible things, and the ending is pretty jaw-dropping.

Oh! And The Driver. Walter Hill movie with Ryan O'Neal as an honest-to-god professional getaway driver and Bruce Dern as the cop trying to catch him. O'Neal's character is kind of a cipher (common trait to Walter Hill heroes, really), but there's a long string of inventive cops-and-robbers chases that are worth seeing. If there was a film that actually featured a character who was as limited as the 2.0 Wheelman, it'd probably this one; dude doesn't do much other than drive.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »

Just saw the new film The Town directed by Ben Affleck and it is very much a 10KB film set in Boston with an awesome chase scene right smack in the middle of it. It is one of those chase scenes where ingenuity and hitting things to slow up the cops happens but they never hit a fruit stand. Thankfully, Affleck kept that trope out of it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:28:34 PM by Desertpuma » Logged

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »

While far from my favorite but I always enjoy them.
Gone in 60 seconds(either the original or the newer one)
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

I am watching Black Belt Joans right now and I though hey there totally has to be some form of campaign quality where every time someone gets knocked down they go through a pane of glass.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

I am watching Black Belt Joans right now and I though hey there totally has to be some form of campaign quality where every time someone gets knocked down they go through a pane of glass.

Hero of the day! I love BBJ Cheesy

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »

Who doesn't? Tongue

Reapercussions
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

Who doesn't? Tongue

Note the caps for "Black Belt Jones." Though the urban dictionary version...

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »

For PT Anderson fans, Hard Eight is pretty cool. Vegas, stupid people, Sam Jackson and Phillip Baker Hall as a badass old gangster make it a fun one. Also, David Mamet's Homicide is next in the queue. Right next to The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

All are currently on Netflix streaming, FYI.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:36:59 AM by Crafty_Alex » Logged

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »

I've seen bits and pieces of Hard Eight actually...

But everyone needs to see The Town. It is very much 10KB since it takes place in the Charlestown area of Boston where the culture used to be such that a guy could get murdered in broad daylight in the middle of the street but no one would talk to the cops because of a code of silence in the community. For a while, it was the bank robbery capital of the world.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »

But everyone needs to see The Town. It is very much 10KB since it takes place in the Charlestown area of Boston where the culture used to be such that a guy could get murdered in broad daylight in the middle of the street but no one would talk to the cops because of a code of silence in the community. For a while, it was the bank robbery capital of the world.

If you liked The Town, check out Gone Baby Gone, another good crime flick Ben Affleck directed. That one's about a kidnapping case and a husband-and-wife private investigator team who get tangled up in it.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

Yep, saw it in the theatres when it came out. It was a very good film but The Town is better.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »

The Definistration Administration! (permanent): Each time a character becomes sprawed, an unfortunate plate of glass pays the price, and that character begins bleeding.

Word.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: