Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:22:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Favorite 10KB Films
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite 10KB Films  (Read 17292 times)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »

I LOVE Payback. Next to The Road Warrior, best Mel Gibson movie ever.

For Netflixers, Across 110th Street is not available on their streaming service, as are a number of decent crime and noir movies. From memory that includes Heat, the Miami Vice series, a few starring Val Kilmer, and a series I've been enjoying quite a bit, The Kill Point (noirish in that it's protagonists are a cop and a bank robber with a military background).

Emphasis mine. I suspect Alex has pulled a Veridian HR move here. Wink

Well it was on the queue just a few days ago....

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

I LOVE Payback. Next to The Road Warrior, best Mel Gibson movie ever.

For Netflixers, Across 110th Street is not available on their streaming service, as are a number of decent crime and noir movies. From memory that includes Heat, the Miami Vice series, a few starring Val Kilmer, and a series I've been enjoying quite a bit, The Kill Point (noirish in that it's protagonists are a cop and a bank robber with a military background).

Emphasis mine. I suspect Alex has pulled a Veridian HR move here. Wink

Well it was on the queue just a few days ago....

No no - I meant you mistyped. I assumed you meant "now," not "not"

Viridian HR: "Employees will now use foul language at work."
Employees: "Well, OK... I guess... If you insist..."

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2010, 12:22:44 AM »

If you liked Payback, check out the Lee Marvin movie Point Blank. Its based on the same novel but is from the swinging '60s and directed by John "Excalibur/Deliverance/Hope and Glory" Boorman. I'd personally argue its many times better than Gibson's movie, but that's just my artsy fartsy bias speaking. The ambivalent ending may turn some people off, but I love it.

Similar revenge flicks worth seeking out:

Get Carter: Michael Caine plays Carter, a hard-as-fuck Cockney gangster who tears up the underworld after finding out that his brother's accidental death may not have been an accident. Its spare, lean, and mean, with some of the seediest characters and settings I've ever seen (English sleaziness is extra sleazy, I guess). Sly Stallone made a remake which is fucking horrible, so make sure you get the right movie.

Dead Man's Shoes: British film about a soldier who returns to his home town to avenge the death of his brother at the hands of some local scumbags. Quite low-key but also quite cool in a nasty kind of way - wait for the scene with the suitcase. Paddy Considine does Scary Motherfucker real good.

The Limey: Terence Stamp in a Soderbergh movie about a Cockney ex-con (what's with all the revenge films with British heroes? I dunno) who gets out of prison and goes to L.A. to investigate the death of his daughter. Its a Soderbergh homage to '60s cinema and is kind of a sequel to a crime flick Stamp did back then. It has a great scene that I won't spoil here except to say that its sometimes a good idea to search a guy before you decide to beat him up and mock the murder of his only child.

Coffy: Pam Grier blaxploitation about a nurse who goes on a vigilante rampage after her sister gets hooked on the drugs. Its crass, tacky, and thoroughly enjoyable. Foxy Brown (which came out 9 months later) is basically more of the same, and almost as good.

Oldboy: Fucked up Korean movie about a man who is imprisoned and tortured by a stranger for years and then breaks out in search of vengeance. The director also did Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance, the other two parts of his "vengeance trilogy". All three feature brutality and some seriously depressing and disturbing subject matter, but they're beautifully crafted.

Straw Dogs: Sam Peckinpah's infamous movie about a nerdy pacifist (Dustin Hoffman) who ends up getting on the bad side of some thugs in his British wife's home town (again with the English!). Its a slow burn but once Hoffman decides he's had enough its some intense, gritty, crazy stuff. Of course, somebody's decided to remake it, but I recommend seeing it just to watch Rainman go postal.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »

Nice list! Get Carter is one of my favorite movies of all time (right next to To Live and Die in LA, Heat, Die Hard, Out of the Past, and The Road Warrior) and great 10kB viewing. Oldboy is also the shiz. Gonna watch Chaser (which seems to be Oldboy but starring an ex-cop pimp instead) later this week.

I think all those movies currently are or recently have been on the Netflix streaming service, as well (seriously, I watch Netflix instead of TV anymore).

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »

I think all those movies currently are or recently have been on the Netflix streaming service, as well (seriously, I watch Netflix instead of TV anymore).

Right there with ya, Alex. Actually watching The Pillars of the Earth streaming right now!

Point Blank is in my list too. All 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 are on InstantPlay too.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »

Netflix and On Demand have totally destroyed any interest I may have once had in watching live television or visiting a video store.

There's occasional quirks (the second OSS 117 movie is on streaming, but with no audible dialog) and curious cycling of content - not sure if its due to rights restrictions or limitations of Netflix servers - but the sheer breadth of stuff is kind of staggering. The fact that a lot of it includes kind of obscure foreign or straight-to-video things is a bonus.

And, yeah, Alex, Chaser looks promising. I'm not sure I'm in the right mood for it, though; Korean films have a habit of depressing the heck out of me (Mother being the most recent example).
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »

I love NetFlix but I'm also biased ... my sister works there in acquisitions (dealing with studios and getting lots of those indie, Hong Kong, European, art house, and documentary films to the site).

Feel free to let them know any time you have issues with stuff playing online.

Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising was something I suggested to her to look for so I'm glad I could help the Dead Gentlemen.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »

Nice list! Get Carter is one of my favorite movies of all time (right next to To Live and Die in LA, Heat, Die Hard, Out of the Past, and The Road Warrior) and great 10kB viewing. Oldboy is also the shiz. Gonna watch Chaser (which seems to be Oldboy but starring an ex-cop pimp instead) later this week.

To Live and Die in LA has probably one of the best car chase scenes to date at least that's how I remember it.  Cheesy

Grimace
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »

To Live and Die in LA has probably one of the best car chase scenes to date at least that's how I remember it.  :D

You remember correctly. And the movie's soundtrack is really good, too.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

I have the soundtrack for it.

The chase sequence heading the wrong way on the freeway actually won the Best Chase Stuntman's Award in 1986. Yes, they have a Stuntman's Award show. It just rarely gets televised. The most common host in the 80s was Lee Majors because he was The Fall Guy.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »

God that was a long time ago!  Might have to watch it again, it will almost seem like the first time as I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters.

Grimace
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »

To Live and Die in LA has probably one of the best car chase scenes to date at least that's how I remember it.  Cheesy

It helps when William Freidkin directed it. He also directed the French Connection in the 70's which also features an awesome chase scene that was legendary for its time.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2010, 04:51:16 PM »

To Live & Die In LA was also awesome because Friedkin insisted and then defied the studio when they went to change the ending. He kept the original ending for the premiere and the audience was more positive about the darkness of it then if William Peterson role was changed.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

The lead-up to the above mentioned chase

The chase itself

While probably a good example of piling on the stress damage, as a piece of cinema I found it rather dull.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »

Consider it was done in the mid-80s and it was a spectacular chase at that time.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: