Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 02:45:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Way of the Wicked I: The Knot of Thorns (IC thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Way of the Wicked I: The Knot of Thorns (IC thread)  (Read 21041 times)
Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

When Creamor learned that the ranger had arrived, he hurried to take on his established form
(click to show/hide)
and went down the stairs and straight to the waiting private.
"Ah, hello, hello. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice. Would you like something to drink? I hear this inn has a very good ale. Or may be a little something against the cold?"
Creamor waited for the private's answer and relayed the order to the barmaid. When he had
ascertained that the young man had the beverage of his choice he continued:
"Oh, but where are my manners, let me introduce you: This gentleman over there is my travel companion, bodyguard, guide and all around jack of all trades Leon.
I am, as you probably already knew, Professor Mendax Scelestus. Your good Father Donnagin referred you as the expert that I should consult before I venture beyond the wall you and your brave brethren are so nobly defending."

Creamor made a pause before he continued:
"You see, I came a long way up here into the north with a mission regarding the bugbears. As you rangers probably know best, those beasts do tend to attack in more or less predictable patterns. But this is hard to predict, since we know so little about their socio economic life. We only meet them when they are already about to attack or when you brave men organize a punitive expedition.
Now, if everything goes according to plan, I'll be able to ascertain when the bugbears will strike next. In the process I'll hopefully learn a bit more about their motivations and idiosyncrasies. If I am successful a lot of brave warriors' lives will be saved."

Again he paused, picking his words with care:
"You are, of course, familiar with the weather up here. I am under quite some pressure to get on with my mission, before it becomes an utter impossibility to do what I have to do. Your good Captain Varning left before I could speak to him. For my mission it is essential, that I venture into the north and learn certain things and make certain observations.

Now, my question to you is: Are there certain places where I could catch up to Captain Varning? Maybe one of the lakes or a cave that needs regular inspection. The sooner I can catch up with him, the better.

But I can already see your objection. Yes, I am aware that it is very dangerous and very uncomfortable to go north at this time of year. But there is just no feasible alternative. I have to go - with or without knowledge of a clear path to your good Captain. So please, don't let me and all those who depend on the results of my mission down."

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 28, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »

Janus finds the alchemist has an ample supply of sunrods for sale; apparently they are quite popular with passing adventurers.

(click to show/hide)

Aiden replies to Janus' whisper. "Him? Ehh, he's a ranger, they're usually a step above the common private. Hmm... he'd make a good choice for when we're blitzing the watch tower, but anything long-term would probably be risky."

The ranger sits down to chat with Creamor, and listens to what he has to say. "Socio-what? Uh, I didn't really follow that, but if you think it'll give us an upper hand against the bugbears then I'm all for it. Can't help you with Captain Varning though, sorry. Those of us not on patrol duty don't have to listen to the briefing where he covers the route, so we rarely do. And he always varies his route so I couldn't guess at where's he going either... well, there's one exception, but it won't do you much good either. He'll be there either tonight or tomorrow night, and it'd take you two days to get there by horse this time of year, so basically... I'd say it'd take a miracle to get a hold of Captain Varning before he gets back.

That said, I've been a ranger for almost two years now, and the Captain's been a good teacher. I'm sure I can answer most of your questions, if not all of 'em." He flashes Creamor a confident bordering on cocky smile.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 29, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »

"Hm, if it's all the same to you, I'd still like to know about that place. It would give me at least a starting point to catch up with your comrades.

My questions: Well, where are the next larger bugbear encampments, what kinds of roads are there beyond the wall, are there certain places that provide shelter to large groups, are there naturally occurring orchards or similar places where fruit or vegetables are available?"

Creamor paused as if to compose his thoughts.

"What hazards besides bugbears and the cold do you have to face up north, what was the largest monster you have seen there?"

He turned to Aiden:
"Leon, you are more knowledgeable about the wilderness. What questions do you have?"

Creamor
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »

The ranger looks hesitant. "I don't know... the captain doesn't want us spreading it around, I guess he's worried about word of it getting back to the brigand gang we chased off last year. And as I said, it'll take a miracle for you to catch up to the Captain now. Best case scenario you'd get there a day behind, and even if your man there is a good enough tracker to follow them through snow and wind you'd need some grand stroke of luck to catch up to them. They're patrolling so they're aiming to cover as much ground as fast as possible without harming the horses. I'm sorry to say, anything you want to talk to the Captain about, it'll have to wait until he's back."

He listens to to Creamor's miscellaneous questions, and answers them all very thoroughly. No encampments this side of Lake Tarik, though he points out a couple places where previous raiding parties camped on the way south. No roads, at best well-worn animal tracks. Only natural shelters, so the bigger the group the fewer places there are. No orchards or anything organized but in the summer the forests are lush and verdant so foraging is easy. Sometimes small goblin clans move somewhere a little too close to comfort, but are easily chased out. He's heard stories about elves made of ice and intelligent bears that can talk, but hasn't seen any evidence and mostly considers them adventurers' tall tales. They rarely get monsters this far south, and when they do it's usually a dire wolf or two. Ever since they chased away the brigand group, the most dangerous things in the area a couple days ride away from the watch wall is bears and wolves.

(click to show/hide)

Aiden answers by holding up the rolled-up map of Talingarde he's got. "You just finish asking your high-falutin' questions professor, I intend to pick his brains about the more practical matters of our expedition."

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »

(click to show/hide)

"Ah, operational security. I absolutely understand and commend you for your diligence. I am no stranger to keeping secrets, indeed I myself signed an agreement binding me to silence. But don't forget that Father Donnagin has scrutinized me and explicitly asked you to answer my questions."
(click to show/hide)
"You are of course free to persist on your position, but that would force me to take the matter higher up the chain of command and I really would hate to waste the commanders time with such a trivial matter. Especially since I heard that he is not fond of being disturbed unnecessarily.
By the way, could you please tell me your full name for my written submission?"

Creamor
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: