Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:38:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Sunchaser] Ironfang!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Sunchaser] Ironfang!  (Read 5295 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »

Inspired by the discussion of WotC prestige classes.

IRONFANG [master class]
The Vessa, the saurian tribes that wander the western expanse of the Gron Ver, have long practiced their own forms of sorcery using strings wound together with complex knots to store their magical formulae. The constant struggle of the 9 tribes against each other in ritual raids and the occasional incursion of the everglades' deadly Rootwalkers has driven a number of war-cults to merge the power of magic more directly with their fighting arts. These methods have proven so effective that a few Matha have sought out instruction amongst the Vessair Princes, adapting the movements to their own (tailless) form and magical studies.
Party Role: Combatant/Wildcard. While Ironfangs may be more comfortable closing with an enemy in combat than the typical Mage, their contributions outside of combat are still governed principally by their choice of spells.

Class Features
Requirements: Spellcasting 10+ ranks, Knife Basics, Two-Weapon Fighting
Favored Attributes: Dexterity, Intelligence
Caster: Each level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidate, Medicine, Notice, Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Sneak, Survival
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Class Abilities
Fangcasting: At Level 1, if you have 2 knives readied, you do not need to speak aloud when Spellcasting and you may deliver touch range spells with a melee or thrown knife attack.
Sneak Attack: At Levels 1 and 4, you gain an additional die of sneak attack damage.
Circle of Power I: At Level 2, you may cast Level 1 and lower spells you know.
Circle of Power II: At Level 4, you may cast Level 2 and lower spells you know.
Teeth of the Storm: At Level 3, as a free action you may spend 1 spell point to cause a knife you have readied to inflict cold, electrical, or fire damage instead of its usual damage type for a number of rounds equal to your class level. Further, your damaging spells penetrate DR as if they were edged weapons.
Bite of the Iron Dragon: At Level 5, once per scene if you are armed with 2 knives and hit an opponent with 2 melee knife attacks in a single round, you may automatically cast a level 4 or lower spell you know with a casting time of 1 round or less on that opponent as a free action. The opponent automatically fails any Reflex save required by the spell that round.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will  Def Init Lifestyle Legend SP Abilities
 1       +0   +0   +2   +1   +1   +1     +0         +1     1   Fangcasting, sneak attack +1d6
 2       +1   +0   +3   +2   +1   +1     +0         +1     2   Circle of power I
 3       +2   +1   +3   +2   +2   +2     +1         +2     3   Teeth of the storm
 4       +3   +1   +4   +2   +2   +2     +1         +2     4   Circle of power II, sneak attack +1d6
 5       +3   +1   +4   +3   +3   +3     +1         +3     5   Bite of the Iron Dragon
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:26:59 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
samsimilian
Operative

Do or do not... there is no try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »

want

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

I like it. It took a little finagling to give them a unique gamebreaker, but plunging both your 'fangs' into a foe as a way of deliving some heinous magical beatdown seemed pretty cool in the hands of a saurian war-caster.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »

penetrate DR as if they were edged weapons.

que?

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »

Some DR is written as X/edged. These spells will drill through that same as an edged weapon would. It won't come up often - mostly for flavor.

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »

When I first saw the name, I thought it was going to be these guys.

Interesting looking class, and good to see how casters progress beyond base classes. I've been mulling over some of my own ideas in this direction recently, and this is a big help.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

I assume it'll be explained in the book but...

That seems kinda redundant for a spellcasting prestige class....  am I missing something?  I would hope I don't need powers to be able to actually use my spells...

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »

Abilities with a numerals automatically stack, so if you already have up to Circle of Power VI, it adds up to give you Circle of Power VII.
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »

Ahhh... ok, makes a bit more sense now.  I'd rather it implicitly say that in the power description, but I can wrap my brain around it now. 

So, I'm guessing that spellcasting requires you to have this instead of just the spellcasting skill to cast your spells?  And, instead of having spell progression, you just unlock levels of spells as you go?  I'm sure it'll make more sense when I get it in my hands, but I'm having a brain fart here at work today I guess.

/end 'brain-dead hasn't looked at spellcasting for spycraft too close yet' moment

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »

You got the gist of it. Though I'm fairly sure you meant to say you want it explicitly stated, not implicitly. It's already implicitly stated by the base rules on ability stacking.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

Yeah, thats what I meant... curse you english majors! *shakefist*  Just another thing my being tired and not full of caffeine has done to me.

Otherwise, a very cool master class!  I hope there are some that make fighters as bad ass as this does for wizardy types.  I just wish it'd work for things besides knives, but there's always the machete...

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

It's explicitly stated in 2.0 prior to the section on classes where it explains about Legacy abilities (the ones with roman numerals after their name).

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

It's explicitly stated in 2.0 prior to the section on classes where it explains about Legacy abilities (the ones with roman numerals after their name).

Right. He wanted it restated in the ability itself, which would be redundant, but usefull to someone low on sleep.

Yeah, thats what I meant... curse you english majors! *shakefist*  Just another thing my being tired and not full of caffeine has done to me.

Otherwise, a very cool master class!  I hope there are some that make fighters as bad ass as this does for wizardy types.  I just wish it'd work for things besides knives, but there's always the machete...

I was a Computer Science major. Honestly, I've always been borderline in English classes but I have an awesome vocabulary and decent grammar skills.

The knives thing seems to be because its an organization based master class and the org (apparently) uses paired knives exclusively.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »

Oh!

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »

I assume it'll be explained in the book but...

That seems kinda redundant for a spellcasting prestige class....  am I missing something?  I would hope I don't need powers to be able to actually use my spells...

As mentioned, legacy abilities (those with roman numerals at the end) stack, but it could very well be the case that a character gets only a single level of Mage, (who initially can only cast 0-level spells) and continues to buy ranks in Spellcasting until he has the required 10 ranks before entering this class to continue the developement of his spellcasting abilities, opening up first and then second level spells. All of the spellcasting 20 level base clases (both the Mage in Fantasty Craft and the Channeler and Seer seen in Spellbound) Get circle of power at 3rd level and every other level thereafter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: