Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 03:27:33 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  What are some of your favorite 3.5 classes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are some of your favorite 3.5 classes?  (Read 8477 times)
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

This thread has sprung up from no-where, and I haven't had time to read everyone else's posts. But for my mind it's got to the the Thief Acrobat form Complete Adventurer.

Any character who can quite sensible make their plan "run up that wall, leap onto the chandelier, somersault through the small window, drop two stories landing perfectly on the bad guy who just escaped" well, that character will always have my heart.

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

Any character who can quite sensible make their plan "run up that wall, leap onto the chandelier, somersault through the small window, drop two stories landing perfectly on the bad guy who just escaped" well, that character will always have my heart.

I would also think this is better represented by xCraft mechanics than straight 3.5.

Walter
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »

The Exotic Weapon Master is not really a class, so much as an appology to Fighters everywhere, having mostly fighter stats and getting a not-quite-a-feat every level. I'm gonna hold off on that and just say that those abilites look like they could make good fodder for tricks.

I'm eyeing the Daggerspell Mage now. It looks like it could inspire a decent Master Class, particularly as it so heavily presents itself as an organization rather than a vocation.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:19:26 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »

the weapon master, has actual class abllities. giving you better criticals for the most part. one abblility is incrases critical threat range by 2 and the other allows you a number of times per day to increase critical threat range. and a final one allows him to do max damage.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »

Ok, that came out pretty groovy and expands upon the Sunchaser setting nicely.

I've moved the resulting class over to the workbench so any specific discussion or questions can be handled seperately from the general thread.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:15:58 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 01:31:50 PM »

the weapon master, has actual class abllities. giving you better criticals for the most part. one abblility is incrases critical threat range by 2 and the other allows you a number of times per day to increase critical threat range. and a final one allows him to do max damage.

Are you thinking of the one in the WotC Wheel of Time book? That sounds familiar...

Given the source material, I'd say those weapon masters deserve a bit more love than they got Smiley.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »

Of the WotCs?  I'm going with Spellsword.

Our armor vs. spellcasting interactions are MUCH friendly than the WotC equivalent. The Rune Knight in Fantasy Craft should make you smile Smiley.

They basically only have 2 tricks - cast in armor and channel spells via melee attack. You could probably do this class as a specialty. Let me mull on that one a bit.

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »

The only 2 I can really remember as standing out have been the Tempest (Complete Warrior) and the Thief Acrobat (Complete Adventurer) but then I didn't buy into that much D&D stuff.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 03:52:49 PM »

Are you thinking of the one in the WotC Wheel of Time book? That sounds familiar...

Given the source material, I'd say those weapon masters deserve a bit more love than they got Smiley.

There was a Weapon Master in the Sword and Fist book.  They chose a specific weapon and received abilities while they were using that weapon, abilities like automatic max damage X many times per day, increased critical damage Y many times per day and increased threat range that stacked with the Improved Critical feat.

It was a very mobile class with prerequisites that had some hefty feat requirements.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »

scott, i dont know, its been a while since i have played thatone outside of nwn2.

bill, you wanna try to recreate the bloodhound for spycraft?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »

For weapon master, maybe they mean Kensai?  I dunno... as far as exotic weapon masters go, I really really enjoyed in the preview for 3.5 that dragon did, they rolled out a bunch of Alternate classes for the main base classes.  One of which was the exoticist, and basically, gave up their proficiencies in all martial weapons for cherry picking 3 exotic or martial weapons, and also lost the use of heavy armor I think.  Then, they progressed as a normal fighter with feats and such.  This, multiclassed with something like the paladin or cleric made for some most excellent fun.  The same issue had alternate paladins like the incarnate which traded in his lay on hands for a magic missile elemental type attack that was pretty amazing.

I believe they were both in issue 310.  It is probably my favorite/most used issue of Dragon ever.

Aside from Prestige/Master classes and such, one of the things that always sold books to me were the variants of base classes.  It didn't have to be a whole lot of new material, just different ways to play the same classes.  Like, taking out your ability to wild shape or turn undead and instead give them... feats or spells or ranger abilities or what not.  It allowed you to customize your character that much more.  They had them a lot in the race books where certain species had special replacement powers because of who they were.  And of course, in the Unearthed Arcana book.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:14:39 PM by gaghiel42 » Logged

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »

The Tempest, saddly, is one of those classes that is a Fighter in every way except it doesn't suck Roll Eyes. Your basic d10 hp/x2skill points, high BAB/Fort, low Reflex/Will, and a useful feat-like ability every level. It is nicely themed and tightly structured in effect, so I think it is probably best represented as a Specialty (where it can exist along side the Fighter Specialty on an even playing field).

TEMPEST
You are the whirlwind!
Bonus Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting
Melee Combat Expert: You are considered to have 2 additional Melee Combat feats for any ability based on the number of Melee combat feats you have.
Multi-dexterous: If you are wearing no armor or partial armor, you ignore the penalty from the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and the penalty from the Two-Weapon Style feat is reduced to 2.
Nimble Defense: If you are wearing no armor or partial armor, your base defense increases by 2.

Give that a 'spin' and see if you like it Smiley.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »

Well, the only two I ever got to seriously play around with were the Bladesinger and the Shadow Dancer and I enjoyed both of those, but they're sorta trivial in Spycraft from what it looks like.

I'm eyeing the Bladesinger now. This looks like another decent candidate for a Master Class treatment. I think it's going to be funny how much I can cut down on the redundant text in this one Smiley.

Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »

From Complete Divine: Divine Crusader, Warpriest
From Draconomicon: The Dragon Ascendant

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

I don't remember what it was called, but a friend of mine loved the prestige class from Tome & Blood that let you tap into the Far Realms and get fun stuff like a pseudonatrual familiar and turned you into an abberation with extra eyes and immunity to crits and the like...
As for me? I've always had a soft spot for Rangers, Monks, and Druids. And put my vote in for an Arcane Archer class that doesn't bite.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: