Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 04:48:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Testdriving FantasyCraft's NPC rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Testdriving FantasyCraft's NPC rules  (Read 1410 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »

In this outing, I've decided to see just what I can get out of the new NPC system using the 55 XP you get to spend with FC's Personal Lieutenant feat. Behold!

The Azure Eye of Augra (Nuisance Unborn Walker — 55 XP): Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8; SZ: N (reach 0); Spd 20 ft; Init VIII; Atk I; Def IV; Res IV; Comp II; Health V; Skills: Notice V, Search V;Qualities: Achilles heel (electricity), blindsight, everlasting, feat (many arms, special construction: granite), hivemind, impared sense (hearing), improved sense (vision), lumbering, natural spell (dancing lights, deathwatch), splitter (damage), story critical, telepathic.
     Attacks/Weapons: None
     Gear: None
     Treasure: None
     Description: The Azure Eye of Augra is, as its name suggests, a type of Unborn the size and appearance of a blue-irised eye and likely inspired by the legendary tales of certain dread lich. The initial bonding process is extremely painful, but results in a telepathic link between Eye and host that allows it to convey its sensory perceptions. Though primarily resident within its host's eye socket, it is capable of independent movement via a number of tendril-like legs emerging from its rear that permit to act as a remote intelligence gatherer. However, its sensorium is restricted solely to vision, "hearing" only through a limited capacity to notice vibrations. Uniformally, the dancing lights ability of these creatures generates lights in the shape of an eye.
     Additional Mechanics: Once bonded with an Eye, the character gains the impared sense (vision) quality whenever they lose the benefit of the NPC.

ETA: I just discovered the rogue templates, which actually gave me enough space for the multi-armed feat.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:10:57 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »

Eye of Vecna as a PL? .... Classic!

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »

I thought so.

gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »

Man I don't want that creepy lady from Dark Crystal's eye.  That thing gave me nightmares as a kid... Tongue

Childhood terror aside, that's a totally sweet idea.

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »

Man I don't want that creepy lady from Dark Crystal's eye.  That thing gave me nightmares as a kid... Tongue

Childhood terror aside, that's a totally sweet idea.
What? You thought that Ograh was creepy? She is a wonderful example of what a good aligned Hag might be like.

The Auld Grump - Dark Crystal is getting a sequel in 2011?...

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »

Dark Crystal is getting a sequel in 2011?...

<sigh> I wish they'd leave these things alone.

Walter
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »

Dark Crystal is getting a sequel in 2011?...

<sigh> I wish they'd leave these things alone.

Walter
I would not have minded a sequel to Labyrinth - it is to be assumed that the main character would some day have a child of her own, and that the Goblin King should still have a grudge/fascination with her. (Mirrormask started as a possible sequel to Labyrinth....)

Dark Crystal was much more self contained, with fewer threads for later expansion. 

The Auld Grump, who just plain liked Labyrinth better, anyway.

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

I would not have minded a sequel to Labyrinth - it is to be assumed that the main character would some day have a child of her own, and that the Goblin King should still have a grudge/fascination with her. (Mirrormask started as a possible sequel to Labyrinth....)

Your wish is granted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Labyrinth

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »

This one is more an animal companion in origin, but still working to that 55 XP target.

The Swarm (Large Flying Animal Horror 55 XP). Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 3; Sz L (22, reach 1); Speed 40 ft. flight; Init II; Atk IV; Def IV; Res II; Health III; Skills: Acrobatics II, Athletics III, Search II; Qualities: Achilles heel (fire), cold blooded, diurnal, fearless I, fearsome, grappler, improved sense (smell), natural spell (goodberry), rend, sterner stuff.
     Attack/Weapon: Mandibles (Bite III: 2d10 stress, threat 17-20, qual: bleed, grab). Sting (Attribute Drain I, Squeeze I: 1d12 lethal, qual: fort save DC 10 or +1 Con impairment).

Yes, it's basically a swarm of killer honey bees (hence the instance of Goodberry). The mechanical benefits of horror and sterner stuff are intended to represent the fact that this isn't a single organism but rather a gestalt of many many smaller ones. Not to mention that horror along with fearsome very nicely represent the way that anyone with a modicum of common sense will be shitting themselves if they ever see an insect swarm heading their way.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »

....horror along with fearsome very nicely represent the way that anyone with a modicum of common sense will be shitting themselves if they ever see an insect swarm heading their way.
Unless, of course, they happen to be a creature adapted to eating dangerous insects. Wink (Which I'm fairly sure must exist......)
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »

Not so as you'd notice, apart from the odd carniverous plant. Animals that raid beehives do it for the honey rather than the bees themselves, tend to have thick skin and even then they need to be careful.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: