Author Topic: Яolcats  (Read 3204 times)

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Яolcats
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »
Alex, you're bilingual?

I hate you. I hate everyone who is bilingual. I have no facility for learning languages, at all. Bilingual people make me feel stupid!

Technically, I'm literary bilingual - took 8 years of Russian, which taught me reading comprehension out the yin-yang (was translating Pushkin poetry and 19th century manuscripts by graduation from Uni), but I didn't get nearly as strong a foundation in conversational. I was probably about 3 months of study from full fluency when I graduated...then I didn't use it for 10 years :( Still, I can read or hear Russian and give you about a 75% translation on the spot. Not great, but not too shabby considering.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Forcegypsy

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:48:33 AM »
hehe. Obviously they aren't even trying to be accurate. The joke is about the stiffness of eastern european pop-culture (there isn't any, haha).

I'm bilingual French/English. Familiar with Spanish, but not comfortable, only took a couple classes and didn't really get to use it outside of those classes.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dýoladh.

VisualStatic

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
.. I speak two languages, English and bad English....

sorry, couldn't help myself...
--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
I took three years of French in high school. I remember bits here and there, but for the most part:
Je parle franšais come une vache espangnol.

<<I speak French like a Spanish cow>>
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

Txabier_Arrizotegui

• Agent
  • Upload, download & payload. The works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
I hate you. I hate everyone who is bilingual. [snippety snip]. Bilingual people make me feel stupid

Well, I guess I could end up making you feel like an amoeba, then.

Franšais, Portuguese, Italiano, Espa˝ol, English and Deutch, all with variable read-write-listening capacities, but well into the "translator" territory as most of the I only need to write what I read... Still, as past and recent experiences have demostrated, I'm fully conversational when getting just shout of drunk, though... but it is most likely I'm polilingual by then. ;D

I'm starting with Svenska (Swedish) because I want to go live there (for a while, at least).
Fight on principle, question everything, be just and fair. Live FREE!