Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 11:44:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Afghanistan and "Black" Globalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Afghanistan and "Black" Globalization  (Read 4304 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »

The Taliban now lives off of an economy (opium production valued at US$2-3.5 billion a year) the size of many small states and its ability to "tax" this production is estimated to be approximately 15% (strangely, this is just below the same level of taxation the US government has found to be sustainable

Txabier_Arrizotegui
Agent

Upload, download & payload. The works.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »

Now?

C'mon they been doing it for DECADES, at least ever since the Soviet forces stormed into the country. You know, the time when the Taliban were effectively "born" with the help of the CIA.

It was no secret, then. It's no revelation, now.

Opium has been Af's prime export for most of the 20th Century and continues to be so.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:02:55 AM by Txabier_Arrizotegui » Logged

Fight on principle, question everything, be just and fair. Live FREE!
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »

Unnecessary Clarification: My primitive meatbag synapses are still reeling from trying to connect this thread with 10kb.

Reapercussions
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

Unnecessary Clarification: My primitive meatbag synapses are still reeling from trying to connect this thread with 10kb.

Other then that since the Taliban are apparently Narcokleptocrats in addition to Militant Extremists and all around angry dick heads...

Um, drug trade?

I don't know, I got nothin'.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »

They're sorta a towel headed FARC.  Actually, Colombia in the 80's would make a dang fine noir setting.

One can also take the article as a dig against tax policy in the U.S. of A.  Or both, they're not mutually exclusive points.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

Well, given that one of the conceits of 10KB is that your characters were effectively on Stringer's side in The Wire and Fleiss' in Batman Begins, it doesn't hurt on a meta level to know where the drugs you're pushing on the street are coming from and why you might suddenly find yourself winging towards Cuba courtesy of the DoJ...

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

Well, given that one of the conceits of 10KB is that your characters were effectively on Stringer's side in The Wire and Fleiss' in Batman Begins, it doesn't hurt on a meta level to know where the drugs you're pushing on the street are coming from and why you might suddenly find yourself winging towards Cuba courtesy of the DoJ...

It is? I was sort of expecting something more like Serpico or Starsky and Hutch.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »

winging towards Cuba courtesy of the DoJ...
Sent to Cuba for what?  Trial for drug running?   Cheesy  If your drugs are coming through Cuba it's because you paid off the Castros and you are working with their blessing.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:44 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of the government deciding that since folks like the Taliban etc are deriving their income from drug supply, drug dealers are therefore supporters of terrorism and to be treated accordingly (not to mention that by combining the war on drugs and the war on terror, there are savings to be made that can be embezzled fed back into the war effort.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of the government deciding that since folks like the Taliban etc are deriving their income from drug supply, drug dealers are therefore supporters of terrorism and to be treated accordingly (not to mention that by combining the war on drugs and the war on terror, there are savings to be made that can be embezzled fed back into the war effort.
Touche, I had not thought of it like that.

The Taliban are backwards thugs who make their money guarding drug gangsters.  The money they earn keeping government and foreign forces from the poppies and processing is used to support their true calling.  (Murdering anyone not interested in living in the 18th Century.)  The Afghan heroin guys are not themselves terrorists.  While they would be unhappy if heroin became legal, the price would drop, their interest is strictly pecuniary, and if they found a more lucrative yet legal activity their focus would change quick, fast, and in a hurry.

FARC is (almost was, and good riddance) a Marxist revolutionary group that makes its money in refining and shipping drugs, mostly cocaine.  They also have a side business in kidnapping and have engaged in terrorist acts that the Afghan drug tribes have not.

To get sent to Gitmo you have to be captured on a foreign battlefield.  If you are a citizen Gitmo is not the right place for you.  Doubly so for something like dealing drugs, one could make an argument for the folks who meet the Colombian cocaine submarines might be deserving of trial for materiel support of a terrorist group, but still not a Gitmo type person.

The "war on drugs" was stupid from the get go and really just needs curl up in the corner and die.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

That might be true. Until you're playing a Wof/10KB fusion game...

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »

Explain further please.

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 12:45:04 AM »

Explain further please.
World on Fire setting, Ten Thousand Bullets genre.  The theory being that we all know that Pitfall can only sustain itself as long as it has steady supply of "terrorists" to hunt, and when that well runs dry, some people might expand the definition of "terrorist" to include the drug trade so as to keep the organization running (and the power that comes with it flowing.)

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »

World on Fire setting, Ten Thousand Bullets genre.  The theory being that we all know that Pitfall can only sustain itself as long as it has steady supply of "terrorists" to hunt, and when that well runs dry, some people might expand the definition of "terrorist" to include the drug trade so as to keep the organization running (and the power that comes with it flowing.)
Very true.  That terrorists greatly fund themselves through crime would expand Pitfalls area of operations.  That ending prohibition of narcotics could dramatically shrink the worldwide black market and fund a whole lot of legitimate government programs as well as saving billions and generally make life better is immaterial.  (Really, prohibition didn't work for alcohol.  Which idiots thought it would work better for anything else?)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: