Author Topic: XCOM (Reactions, stories, let's play setups, etc...)  (Read 32755 times)

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: XCOM (Reactions, stories, let's play setups, etc...)
« Reply #390 on: June 05, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
I dig.  The mag weapons may look the coolest.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2016, 12:48:29 PM »
So all of y'all who've been clamoring to play XCOM 2, but can't because you're a console gamer?  Well, fear not!  XCOM 2 is coming to consoles in September!  Brought to you by relative new studio The Workshop.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 12, 2016, 12:01:09 AM »
So, got me the X-Com 2's.

Making the toons.

Hating the tutorial. Wow, toxic forced stupidity. >:(

Persisting, of course. The Long War continues.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2016, 01:12:23 AM »
So, got me the X-Com 2's.

Making the toons.

Hating the tutorial. Wow, toxic forced stupidity. >:(

Persisting, of course. The Long War continues.

Well, the logic behind the tutorial is that you are not technically commanding, since you are being rescued from stasis at the time.  Once The Commander (you) actually command a mission you won't be railroaded.

Now, if you bought the DLC before you started, you picked a hell of a time to jump in.  Alien Rulers are murder. :P

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 12, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »
I did not get the DLC, but I intend to.

Also I am being directly addressed in the tutorial. This is not Avenger issuing commands. I understand the necessary gameplay/plot separation, but it still grates that I actually can't not make mistakes.

Any news on the mystery class?

Edit: actually I am wrong. It is the two titular twits failing at tactics. I am just the audience. Also, c'mon noobs -bring grenades. :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:38:24 AM by Valentina »

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 12, 2016, 04:28:25 AM »
Alright.

Honing edge. Polishing movement. Taking losses.

Learning.

"It's new to Val:" Flashbangs disrupt Sectoid channeling effects -Mind Control and Reanimation, for example.

Supplies are tight. Sections are understaffed. Need to find the Black Market because I'm short on warm bodies while long on cold ones.

The Commander broods again; War is upon them! >:D

Central sure talks too damn much though. Yeah, civilians are getting massacred. News flash: they die and I secure the area, or I charge in and they die last once my forces are dead.

Not a hard choice, Central.

Also why doesn't the drop ship come with some damn door guns?!

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 12, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
I did not get the DLC, but I intend to.

Be glad.  I am not ashamed to spoil (because they post this on the main website) that Alien rulers move after every action you take.  Half move to get a better shot, they move to cover.  Shoot at them, and they grab your soldier and to an updated high-damage attack that will put them in the infirmary for a week.  Reload, and they slam your whole squad with a bullshit AOE attack that KNOCKS EVERYONE UNCONSCIOUS, C'MON!! >:(

And the HP!  Firaxis admits that they had to write new code so they could fit in all the health these things have!  The only way to kill these things when you first face them is a Repeater, and lo, they hath reduced the drops of such necessary equipment!  I have literally only found one lvl 1 Repeater the entire campaign!  *Groans*

Pro-tip for when you do finally face them: Save your free actions and your status-effect abilities for 'em.  Things like Lightning Hands, Throwing Axes, Flashbangs, things that set things on fire... and grapple hooks!  I've actually reduced a great deal of damage by Spidermaning away from an upgraded Blazing Pinions.

Any news on the mystery class?

Vanilla or Shen's Gift?  Vanilla's what you'd expect: Psionics.  It's a separate class entirely now, and requires a different way to level up.  Best strategy is to just let them train all their abilities, then cackle as they unleash on the enemy.

Shen's Gift?  Rumors are it's MEC related.

Edit: actually I am wrong. It is the two titular twits failing at tactics. I am just the audience. Also, c'mon noobs -bring grenades. :P

Well, it's an XCOM tradition now to show the things you shouldn't do in the tutorial.  It also establishes just how necessary the Commander is for XCOM.

"It's new to Val:" Flashbangs disrupt Sectoid channeling effects -Mind Control and Reanimation, for example.

Oh yes, Flashbangs are useful the whole game through.  Except for one notable exception, the Disruption condition prevents organics from using any special abilities.  Yes, including the tongue.
Pro-tip: That happy glowing lady from the tutorial?  "'Bang 'er 'fore ya bang her, or you'll be gun-blocked and surrounded by angry ladies."

Supplies are tight. Sections are understaffed. Need to find the Black Market because I'm short on warm bodies while long on cold ones.

Don't forget that you can recruit from a pool of rookies.  I know at least one person did.  And get that Guerrilla Warfare Center up, and make sure everyone's trained to a class.  If you're bringing Rookies on missions, you're doing it wrong.

Central sure talks too damn much though. Yeah, civilians are getting massacred. News flash: they die and I secure the area, or I charge in and they die last once my forces are dead.

Hey, at least no one complains from the use of explosives. ;)

Also why doesn't the drop ship come with some damn door guns?!

Probably busy dodging ADVENT pursuit.  You do not have air superiority here, and that is the only ride back home your guys will have for the whole war.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:25:57 PM by RusVal »

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
Lot's of E3 news going on, and Julian Gollop's Phoenix Point is flying under the radar ATM as they hunt for a publisher.  So I am temporarily yoinking this thread temporarily to talk about it:

Rock Paper Shotgun
Gamewatcher

So Phoenix Point is actually the name of the settlement that the main characters are based in.  The year is 2046, and global warming has unleashed the Zerg virus onto the world.  Said virus started in the oceans, and has now gone airborne in the form of a mist/fog.  You're task?  What else?  Rebuild humanity, and kick some bio-terror alien bootay!

However, in addition to facing the alien menace, you will also have to deal with other human factions, each one with different ideals and goals.  Current revealed ones are basic "Use science to live with these new creatures", "Use military might to kill the new creatures", and "Cult that can become the new creatures", with other possible ones as the game develops.

And yes, you can study the alien virus to create bioaugmentations for your soldiers like in Enemy Within.  Or you can focus on human tech to get bigger guns and better armor.  But be warned, the aliens will constantly modify themselves to counter your tactics, so you will need to adapt accordingly.

Now, interestingly, the virus reacts and mutates the local wildlife depending on where in the world you are.  And you can study the virus to possibly create your own hybrids.  So I could build my own fox ladies DAMNIT BRAIN!  Forget that last question. :P

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
Your head seems to be an interesting place...
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
Your head seems to be an interesting place...

I'm actually reminded about that RPG Cthulhu Tech, which thematically is a bit similar.  One of the monsters you could face were the Horned ones, essentially classic anime Little Bit Beastly characters... who were mind controlling cannibalistic rape machines who were supposed to breed more soldiers for their dark god.  And in the example pic, which I can't find anywhere for some reason, they have bunnies, cats, even a deer.  And right in the front center, who else but... Heh.  Never played the game, and I'm sort of glad, because it's entirely likely the GM would try to use these things against me. :P