Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 07:13:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 718 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »

Typical. I finally learn to drive and now self-driving cars are becoming a thing. Gah.
I would like to be the first, and probably the last, to thank you for the sacrifice of your time.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »

Police Officer shot in Fergunson.
Non-lethally, 2 suspects sought.

Human Net Worth Index.
The idea that the USA is a wealthy nation is somewhat commonly evoked; here's a little data on what that actually means.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »

McDonald's Monopoly promotion: the odds of what you'll win.

Quote from: article
As we mentioned earlier, the odds you win any prize is approximately 1 in 4, a probability of 25%.

So what does this mean? Well, comparing the two probabilities, 89.9% of the prizes will be food prizes. Hope you're hungry.

In fact, 4 out of every 11 prizes allocated will be a medium fries.

Medium fries, for sure.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »

McDonald's Monopoly promotion: the odds of what you'll win.

Quote from: article
As we mentioned earlier, the odds you win any prize is approximately 1 in 4, a probability of 25%.

So what does this mean? Well, comparing the two probabilities, 89.9% of the prizes will be food prizes. Hope you're hungry.

In fact, 4 out of every 11 prizes allocated will be a medium fries.

Medium fries, for sure.

Mmmmmmm.  Fries.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »

...I think I found the problem with US Education.  Colleges can afford Pro-Sports Stadiums.
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

The "University of Phoenix" is a for-profit college who bought the naming rights to the NFL's Cardinal Stadium. There is no University of Phoenix athletics program.

Cardinal Stadium's pretty neat. The playing field is natural grass over a pretty well-engineered drainage system, and the entire field can be rolled out of the stadium, as seen in the posted photo.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »

...I think I found the problem with US Education.  Colleges can afford Pro-Sports Stadiums.
I wouldn't call it the problem, but it certainly is a significant one.

(FWIW I think one huge problem is the proliferation of "education" employees who don't teach.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »

The "University of Phoenix" is a for-profit college who bought the naming rights to the NFL's Cardinal Stadium. There is no University of Phoenix athletics program.

Cardinal Stadium's pretty neat. The playing field is natural grass over a pretty well-engineered drainage system, and the entire field can be rolled out of the stadium, as seen in the posted photo.

Pardon my lack of #sarcasm annotations.  But yes, you are correct.  That said, for a college to afford "naming rights" on a Pro-Stadium is a little insane.  That's like my local Middle School buying the naming rights of a 4 lane bridge.  "But it's great for advertisement!"  *insert losing game show music*

I wouldn't call it the problem, but it certainly is a significant one.

(FWIW I think one huge problem is the proliferation of "education" employees who don't teach.)

"Assistive", "Professional" and "Administrative" staff?  Yea.  I think that's on the list too.
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »

Pardon my lack of #sarcasm annotations.

Why would they be needed? The sarcasm was obvious.

That said, for a college to afford "naming rights" on a Pro-Stadium is a little insane.  That's like my local Middle School buying the naming rights of a 4 lane bridge.

If said middle school was a wholly-owned subsidiary of a for-profit corporation, sure. UoPX is more concerned with its standing with the Securities and Exchange Commission than the Higher Learning Commission.

Look, you've got a legit point - athletics money has a huge influence on colleges and universities. My own university's football and basketball teams play in facilities with the names of a mediocre pizza company and a Fortune 500 fast-food company, respectively. However, the truckloads of money that ESPN has dumped in the university's coffers has helped pay for a lot of improvements - improved student housing, some terrific research and classroom facilities, campus expansion, two overseas campuses, and the new undergrad program that I'm now part of. It may be something of a devil's bargain, but it's meant a net improvement in the campus and its educational offerings.

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »

LOL.  Oh!  Sorry Tracker.  I'm literally working on 80+ hour work weeks.  My brain is processing info about as fast as a Koala can run the Scouting Combine 40 yard dash.  I thought.. yea.. I get what you were saying now.  My point is your's, but in reverse.  If a corporation wants to sponsor a school, fine.  If Pfizer wants to have the "Pfizer Wing of Chemistry" at NorthEastern, go for it.  But said school, vice versa, shouldn't be able to brand itself on a Pro Stadium.  It seems like a drastic misuse of college funds. 

And that's ignoring the concept of for-profit schools.  I view those like for-profit medical insurance.  Who came up with that idea and can we return it?
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

All good, man.

And that's ignoring the concept of for-profit schools.  I view those like for-profit medical insurance.  Who came up with that idea and can we return it?

They're both pretty awful.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: