Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 04:43:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Silver Screen: Movie News, Reviews & Reactions 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Silver Screen: Movie News, Reviews & Reactions 2014  (Read 7298 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »

What is this Purge of which you speak?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »

A crappy 'horror' movie based on the premise that one night a year all laws are ignored. I think there's an exception for treason or attacking politicians or something, I never watched it.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »

A so far 2-movie concept in which an otherwise Rockwell-ian near future America has as single day in which all law is suspended.
Ostensibly this is a social pressure release valve, but in practice it's about population control as the poor and desperate cull themselves down.

A good review.

Edit: Krensky pretty much nail the first movie, but apparently the second is at least tolerably better.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »

Oh, I remember now.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »

Honest Trailers: The Winter Soldier

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »

Nice...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »

Virtually none of those nitpicks occured to me at the time I must admit, but I can put most of them down to "Hydra didn't want anyoen sticking their nose in once it was too late"

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:35 AM »

Constantine Films give us possibly the worst looking Tarzan of all time

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »

This looks awful.  In about every dimension I can think of for the word "look."

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »

Interstellar Trailer 3

Noticing a bit of silence about this movie.  In fact, the only real reaction was Mister Anderson's comment of:

Unsurprising failure to show the critical success of non-Americans in leading space exploration is unsurprising.

But really, that's kind of the point.  This is a movie with a message, aimed directly at the American psyche, and at NASA in particular.  I don't believe it's mean to belittle the accomplishments of other counties, and more rant against the growing apathy that America seems to have about cutting back on it's own space program.

MovieBob's take on the subject back when the space shuttle was retired, to give an example of where this movie might be coming from.

And really, you can also see it as a counterpoint to Hollywood itself.  Off the top of your head, name the movies of the 2000s where Earth has interplanetary abilities, and that was actually a good thing?  And no, sequels to pre-2000s movies don't count, though even then outside of Star Trek you'll be hard pressed to find any.
Think about it: any time humanity is able to go to other planets in movies recently, it's either to show just how terrifying space can be, or to show how big a monster humanity can be.
And even when Earth doesn't have interplanetary abilities, just being in space hasn't been shown to be good.

Heck, just having NASA help study a friggin' SPACE CUBE brought down an ALIEN INVASION.

Like the movie says, we (as in America) once looked up and wondered about our place in the stars, now we look down and worry about our place in the dirt.

And it's probably about time someone told us to wake up.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »

Sam Mendes will begin filming the 24th James Bond film on Dec. 6.

Daniel Craig will return as the iconic British spy for his fourth Bond movie. Also reprising their roles will be Ralph Fiennes as M, Naomie Harris as Eve Moneypenny, Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner and Ben Whishaw as Q.

Mendes, who directed the last Bond pic,”Skyfall,” is helming from a script by John Logan that was rewritten by the team of Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. The three scribes collaborated on “Skyfall.”

MGM, Sony and producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli announced last summer that they had locked in release dates for the film, setting the U.K. launch for Oct. 23, 2015, and U.S. for Nov. 6, 2015.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: