Author Topic: Video Game News and Such 2016  (Read 22819 times)

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game News and Such 2016
« Reply #390 on: November 17, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
So, I've played a bit of Tyranny, and it's been fun so far. If you enjoyed Pillars of Eternity it's worth a look. Combat feels more or less similar, though the underlying system is less D&D-inspired  (f.ex. everyone can cast spells now!), the story's fun with some extremely fun 'bad-guy' moments, all in all a solid Obsidian-type game.

...Of course, it's gonna be a while until I get to play more of it, because I got Dishonored 2 as well, and oh my that game is good. I'm several missions in, and so far it's been as good (and frequently better) as the first one. I'm currently playing Corvo as a sneaky killer, but even as I'm playing it I'm contemplating the next two runs (sneaky no-kills Emily, and no-powers Corvo). It's a late entry, but also a serious contender for game of the year so far.

I binge played Dishonored 2 this last weekend. I played on PC, it's got some bad optimization issues. But, those issues aside I have to agree it is is an awesome game. I did my play through as an (attempted) stealth and (successful) no kills Emily. Stealth is much trickier this time around, which I actually liked. Guards notice that their buddies go missing, or that their sentences get cut off suddenly. Or that a door opened in front of them. With the exception of your final target, no spoilers, but I'm not sure how you can do  it without being spotted.

Bone Charm crafting is pretty cool, not a lot of depth but it was useful. I thought the Domino power was going to be insanely broken, especially when fully upgraded. While it was very useful there were plenty of situations were it only helped but didn't completely solve the problem. Far Reach is a fun power, one upgrade allows you to grab items at a distance, another one people. It's also more like a grapple than a short teleport. You can 'swing' off of certain points, it's tricky though, I went off many cliffs by accident.
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 19, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
Salvaged Early Access Trailer

A VR game where you command a group of Space Marine type characters over a command console.  Looks kind of meh, but looked like something worth bringing up.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 28, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Endless Space 2 - The United Empire

Grrrrr, that assault rifle really drives me up the wall with its stupid design.  Not that we'll get that close a look at it in a space 4x game. :P

Regardless, if you didn't know anything about Endless Space 2, you'd think these guys were heavily militaristic.  No, these guys, stat wise at least, are the industrialists faction.  Yeah, I know, right?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:12:28 AM by RusVal »

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2016, 07:18:27 PM »
Last of Us Part II Reveal Trailer

Oh no, I can already hear all the feels being felt across the gaming community.

Death Stranding

Seems the whole... oil birthing thing is a major element to the setting.  I'm thinking ecological disaster requiring desperate measures, and the heroes have the one key to fixing it.  Or something.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:00:17 PM by RusVal »

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Captain freaking Marvel. Fuck yes.
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.