Author Topic: Cool Non-Video Links (Quizzes, Tests, Illusions, Etc..)  (Read 157953 times)

TheAuldGrump

• Control
  • Because The Cat Told Me To...
    • View Profile
Cool Non-Video Links (Quizzes, Tests, Illusions, Etc..)
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »
Hmmm, it struck me that there is no place to put those non-inspirational, non-music, non-video links that are nonetheless interesting, if not cool.

What American Accent Do You Have?

My result ended up: Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I don't really have a regional accent, or, more accurately, I have lost the one I was raised with. (South Boston, Massachusetts.)

The Auld Grump, who is not really certain of when he lost his accent. He may have left it on a chair somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:31:53 PM by TheAuldGrump »
I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Non-Video Links (Quizzes, Tests, Illusions, Etc..)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
I also ended up with a neutral accent. Some of the questions I can't even imagine how to say some of those words other than the way I normally say them...
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »
That would be because you never learned to speak properly. ;)

I mean honestly, what turns a man neutral? Lust for power? Gold? Or is he just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Not surprisingly, I got:

Mid Atlantic: Also known as a "Philadelphia accent" but also heard in south Jersey, Baltimore, and thereabouts.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:05:37 PM by Krensky »
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Sletchman

• Control
  • Gentleman Scholar.
    • View Profile
    • The SletchWeb
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »
My Results:

Northern - You have a Northern accent.  That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Interesting, considering I'm an Aussie.

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »
Also not surprising...

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Western Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from.  So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).  If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
Neat.  They actually got it right, most folks seem to think I'm from the midwest somewhere.

My Results:

Northeastern This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same.  Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
Snap. Which is amusing given I'm from Sydney, Australia.

OverNinja

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
Direction is right. But I'm from Finland.

My Results:

Northern
You have a Northern accent.  That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.
"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
My result ended up: Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I don't really have a regional accent, or, more accurately, I have lost the one I was raised with. (South Boston, Massachusetts.)

The Auld Grump, who is not really certain of when he lost his accent. He may have left it on a chair somewhere.

I ended up Neutral, too.  I was born, raised, and still live in California.  Not sure what they use to define a western accent, but apparently I don't really have it, which is odd because "stock" and "stalk" don't really sound any different when I say them...
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

TheAuldGrump

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
Neat.  They actually got it right, most folks seem to think I'm from the midwest somewhere.

My Results:

Northeastern This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same.  Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Actually, I have met folks from Jersey City, New Jersey who do have the classic 'Joisey' accent. They were older people, which may indicate that the accent is in decline. Cindi Lauper (born in Queens, New York) has a similar accent to the classic Jersey Girl, so...?

Maine also has a very distinct accent, but for God's sake, don't expect it to sound anything like Tom Bosley on Murder She Wrote! :P

The Auld Grump

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
The Art of Penguin Science Fiction

It took me a second to remember that Penguin is a publishing company. My first thought was that the link would lead to pictures of penguins with Frickin Laser Beams and starships....
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

Nepenthe

• Control
  • High Priest of the Cult of Crafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:15 AM »

My Results:

Brits have mistaken me for "upper east coast" in the past, so I guess that's a good enough approximation. I know I don't sound "Southern Finland", which would be the natural one ;)
Reapercussions

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 06:06:12 AM »
Ron Turner cover art

Public Collections. Some interesting stuff.

Build your own crossbow

Astronomers searching for the building blocks of life in a giant dust cloud at the heart of the Milky Way have concluded that it tastes vaguely of raspberries.

UD DoE kills hydrogen car

Those who shaped Islamic Philosophy into something quite unique.

Uncomfortable plot summaries

----

Spoiler: On a related note to that last link • show

ALIEN: Curiosity eventually kills everyone except cat.
ALIENS: Multiple populations exterminated due to corporate malfesence.
ALIEN3: Prison reform leads to mass deaths.
ALIEN RESURRECTION: Failed product recall leads to massive environmental damage.
ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: Wrong person wins rite of passage, abused slave dies attempting to escape.
ALIEN VS. PREDATOR - REQUIEM: Basic quarantine failure leads to rural nuclear holocaust.
PREDATOR: American political meddling leads to WMD detonation in Latin America.
PREDATOR 2: Illegal aliens more effective on crime than cops.

DOCTOR WHO: Political dissident steals classified technology, serially abducts young women, violates borders, instigates unilateral regime change, develops God complex, responsible for countless deaths.

FARSCAPE: Boldly Going Where No Human Has Gone Before drives man insane.

FINAL FANTASY - THE SPIRITS WITHIN: Planetary ejaculation and giant phallus fuck up world.

INTERSTELLA 5555: Music industry destroys lives..

THE LAST UNICORN: Isolated nomad destroys numerous lives looking for family.

THE SECRET OF N.I.M.H: Mutant rats invade farm.

STAR WARS - THE PHANTOM MENACE: Religious militant steals child from legal guardian, enables native uprising.
STAR WARS - ATTACK OF THE CLONES: Emotionally disturbed teenager loses mother, goes to war.
STAR WARS - REVENGE OF THE SITH: Emotional cripple betrays everyone to set up future career path for offspring.
STAR WARS - A NEW HOPE: Terrorists destroy government installation, officials and loyal patriots.
STAR WARS - EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Religious indoctrination leads to family conflict.
STAR WARS - RETURN OF THE JEDI: Woman prostitutes herself to rescue lover, family discord leads to government downfall.

WAR OF THE WORLDS: Tourists fail to take vaccinations.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:24:41 AM by Mister Andersen »

TheAuldGrump

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
How to craft a shrink ray device (Found as a link off a site found when Googling 'Crafty'....)

The Auld Grump