Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 06:41:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Cool Non-Video Links (Quizzes, Tests, Illusions, Etc..)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool Non-Video Links (Quizzes, Tests, Illusions, Etc..)  (Read 80545 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »

Hmmm, it struck me that there is no place to put those non-inspirational, non-music, non-video links that are nonetheless interesting, if not cool.

What American Accent Do You Have?

My result ended up: Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I don't really have a regional accent, or, more accurately, I have lost the one I was raised with. (South Boston, Massachusetts.)

The Auld Grump, who is not really certain of when he lost his accent. He may have left it on a chair somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:31:53 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

I also ended up with a neutral accent. Some of the questions I can't even imagine how to say some of those words other than the way I normally say them...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »

That would be because you never learned to speak properly. Wink

I mean honestly, what turns a man neutral? Lust for power? Gold? Or is he just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Not surprisingly, I got:

Mid Atlantic: Also known as a "Philadelphia accent" but also heard in south Jersey, Baltimore, and thereabouts.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:05:37 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »

My Results:

Northern - You have a Northern accent.  That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Interesting, considering I'm an Aussie.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »

Also not surprising...

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Western Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from.  So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).  If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 12:25:03 AM »

Neat.  They actually got it right, most folks seem to think I'm from the midwest somewhere.

My Results:

Northeastern This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same.  Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:11:51 AM »

Snap. Which is amusing given I'm from Sydney, Australia.

OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 04:16:45 AM »

Direction is right. But I'm from Finland.

My Results:

Northern
You have a Northern accent.  That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »

My result ended up: Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I don't really have a regional accent, or, more accurately, I have lost the one I was raised with. (South Boston, Massachusetts.)

The Auld Grump, who is not really certain of when he lost his accent. He may have left it on a chair somewhere.

I ended up Neutral, too.  I was born, raised, and still live in California.  Not sure what they use to define a western accent, but apparently I don't really have it, which is odd because "stock" and "stalk" don't really sound any different when I say them...

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

Neat.  They actually got it right, most folks seem to think I'm from the midwest somewhere.

My Results:

Northeastern This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same.  Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Actually, I have met folks from Jersey City, New Jersey who do have the classic 'Joisey' accent. They were older people, which may indicate that the accent is in decline. Cindi Lauper (born in Queens, New York) has a similar accent to the classic Jersey Girl, so...?

Maine also has a very distinct accent, but for God's sake, don't expect it to sound anything like Tom Bosley on Murder She Wrote! Tongue

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »

The Art of Penguin Science Fiction

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »

It took me a second to remember that Penguin is a publishing company. My first thought was that the link would lead to pictures of penguins with Frickin Laser Beams and starships....

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 05:18:15 AM »

My Results:

Brits have mistaken me for "upper east coast" in the past, so I guess that's a good enough approximation. I know I don't sound "Southern Finland", which would be the natural one Wink

Reapercussions
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Ron Turner cover art

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »

Public Collections. Some interesting stuff.

Build your own crossbow

Astronomers searching for the building blocks of life in a giant dust cloud at the heart of the Milky Way have concluded that it tastes vaguely of raspberries.

UD DoE kills hydrogen car

Those who shaped Islamic Philosophy into something quite unique.

Uncomfortable plot summaries

----

(click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: