Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:15:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?  (Read 16011 times)
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »

But the thing about radiation is that the accumulated rads won't go away with a failed save, I really do want the PCs worrying about how many rads they are picking up.

And that is represented by having the effects of a failed save linger.

I'd probably track the rads accrued in a temporary buffer, which clears upon failing a save or between missions. I'd keep a permanent counter of the number of failed saves to allow for the effects of failure to change with this number. Those effects would be permanent (or only removable under certain conditions, such as your Rad Away!(tm)). Come to think of it, I wouldn't track radiation damage to ability scores differently than similar damage from any other source, and Rad Away!(tm) would work to reverse some of that damage regardless of source.

You still get damage (effects, more generally speaking) accruing over the long term, and character choices that increase thresholds or resistance are made slightly better by the temporary buffer clearing between missions.

As is probably apparent, I'm comfortable making things a bit more abstract for the sake of easier game play.

Walter
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »

Have you looked at the radiation poisoning in Gama World d20 or Darwin's World?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »

Have you looked at the radiation poisoning in Gama World d20 or Darwin's World?
I know that I have Darwin's World somewhere as a PDF, but I can never remember the filename.... I also have Gamma World, DTRPG had it as a free download twice upon a time. (Once with DRM, once without.) I did not think to check that one, and I know where to find it.... I'll be right back.

Well, it doesn't nickel and dime the rad count, and seems workable, I think that I like it better than what I had at any rate. It might also be worth seeing if True20 has any applicable systems. Thank you for reminding me.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »

Dragon Star has one as well, but I don't6 think it's in the main book. Imperial Supply, maybe?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »

Currently working on The Darkened Tunnels arc. NPCs so far include ex-Paladin of the Brotherhood, and current Night Ghoul (and one of the major good guys) Ethan Sparks. He wishes to found a community in the tunnels under a certain amusement park in Orlando, which has been partially reclaimed by the swamps. The tunnels are infested with feral ghouls and mutant alligators.

In the connected and hidden hospital is the frozen corpse/ghoul Walt Disney, who may become a hero or a villain depending on the actions of the heroes.  Either way, he is a bit of a megalomaniac. (The villain Disney is likely a variant of The Brain in a Jar - still frozen, and speaking electronically - possibly to be mistaken for a computer.)

This will later tie in with The Guns of Splash Mountain - a retelling of Guns of the Navarone... with waterslides.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

Hmmm, it looks like I may need to wait a few months before starting in on the Visitors arc - one of the recently announced DLC products deals with the mothership.... More critters, more weapons, and perhaps some backstory to fill in the gaps.

Makes it hard in one sense, the Darkened Tunnels arc ties in with the Visitors in a couple of places.

Naming conventions:
Missions that deal with the aliens that have appeared (dead, for the most part) in Fallout have titles along the lines of 'Just Visiting', 'Unwelcome Visitor', and 'Visiting Relatives' (or, 'What Do You Do When Your Relatives Pop In For a Visit, and It Turns Out That They Are Not Entirely Human?' Tongue).
The plots dealing with Disney World have titles mangled from Disney movies and attractions. My favorite is the one that started me on this path - 'Walt Disney on Ice!'  Cheesy Tongue
The ones dealing with Gibsonton use circus, carnival, and especially freakshow references.

Hazards:
Feral Ghoul packs
Night Ghoul packs
Sand Lurks (Thanks to gaghiel42 for informing me of the Mole Crabs)
Crocogators - alligators bigger than a Nile Crocodile.
Doombats (name almost certain to change) humongous flying foxes with a potent sonic attack
Doodlebugs/Giant Ant Lions - trap building ambush predators.
And something very much akin to Green Slime from D&D.
Various and sundry carnivorous  plants in the Everglades.
Pirates (water traveling Raiders).
Raiders (land traveling Pirates)
Wanamingo, umm, you know, umm, those, umm, things. Tongue
Giant insects.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »

Running the first game of this next week, instead of the steam archaeological game - simply because
a. there is more of it done,
b. I am considering putting off said steam archaeological game until Fantasy Craft comes out
c. there are miniatures and terrain I want to do up for this.
d. I am again trying to codify the various changes I made to Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth for Spycraft

Somehow it bothers me that we have been merrily using a whole bunch of rules changes that never got written down, except as hastily scribbled notes in the margins. (One of those changes was the reappearance of Subdual damage when using magic - strangely enough, at the request of two of the players - the two who use magic on a regular basis.) Sometimes looking at my rules notebook is like taking a peak at a mad scientists lab notes... though at least I no longer doodle on them.

Two of the four characters submitted are from a failing Vault, one is a Scavenger, and one is from a nearby town.

As an aside - how do folks feel about a Randall Flagg type character in Fallout? (Crossed with Eibon in this case.) Rather than the group being a gestalt 'Chosen One' they will be working against a figure that is the antithesis of a 'Chosen One'. one who's mere existence heralds the End Times. Where he goes bad things start happening. Even when he does not take any active part.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 02:36:18 AM »

As a wandering resource I found a model of the 1955 Disneyland Marquee as a free download on Disney Experience.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »

A friend of mine directed my attention to The Post Apocalyptic Forge - a fair amount of information for a Fallout RPG.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

I ran the second game today - and forgot to mention last week, when I ran the first.  Embarrassed

I ran it for a bunch of the kids who would normally be in my Pathfinder game - setting them against Lepus Atrox. Last week they found the sad remains of Farmer MacGregor and his family - by the time they ran into the bunnies there was no way they weren't going to take them seriously.

Even so, the Lepus took out one of the PCs in the first round, and a second the next. Swarms are bad. Smiley

They were in better shape this time around - they used up all their Stimpacks healing up, and were very careful to approach the warren with the wind in their faces. Grenades came first - wiping out the few that they had, followed the next round with Molotov cocktails against the swarms that remained, and targeted gunfire against Mamma. It was still dicey for a round or two, but with the swarms in bad shape they folded fast. Despite the greater numbers of enemy the second time around they didn't have anyone taken out of combat. Mamma only got in a single round of teeth and claw to hand combat.

All in all it gives them a decent start - cementing relations with the local fortified settlement of Parrishfield. Unfortunately, they used up most of their resources - ammunition, is low, grenades and Stimpacks have been used up.

Next scenario introduces the gypsies, from there I plan to work in Welcome to the Freakshow.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »

Heh - the first scenario went exactly as I planned, so of course the second scenario went off the rails immediately. Tongue

They are now heading towards Disney....

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »

Contact has been made, but now that the rest of the kids are back and ready for gaming I am switching back to Pathfinder.

They almost blasted the Night Ghoul/Ex Paladin (BoS), but held their fire. They have been recruited to clear the tunnels below Disney World, and to find access to the medical facilities rumored to be hidden in those tunnels.

When next they play (whenever that may be) I am expecting a large amount of combat, mostly against feral ghouls. Most have the tried and true tactic of threat display, charge! (If you have played FO3 then you know what I am talking about.) I have also added Ghoul Stalkers - sneaky ferals who attack from ambush rather than rising up, spreading their arms, and snarling. Add a couple of Glowing ones, and we are all set. Smiley

It is also distantly possible that they can wander into one of the Enclave controlled areas, while the Guns are being put in place for Guns of Splash Mountain. (Picture two WWII era Railroad Guns, and something very much like the Mörser Karl-Gerat.) The range of the big guns is pretty everything in Florida....

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »

On the plus side - this will give me the chance to pull the Reputation rules ot of Fantasycraft and redo them for Spycraft.

The Auld Grump

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »

On the plus side - this will give me the chance to pull the Reputation rules ot of Fantasycraft and redo them for Spycraft.

The Auld Grump

I've been working on doing the same thing with a buddy so he can run a cyberpunk game.  Alot of the magic items work perfectly as cybernetics, as does contacts, holdings, and the rest of the rule set.  80% was plug and play, just had to come up with new title ideas [you could also just abstract it and say its just "reknown 8"].
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 03:04:38 AM »

In addition to being "intimidating", feral ghouls that go through their posturing before a fight may warn any other feral ghouls in the area that he has seen a threat.  Trying to sneak through a ghoul infested room?  When one of them sees you and rears up screaming, he has just communicated to every other ghoul within hearing range that he found something.

Also, I was just remembering that the creepiest experiences I had with Feral Ghouls was actually AFTER the fight when...

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: