Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 03:46:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?  (Read 14474 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »

Plus the whole area around the warren is radioactive from the leaking cannisters of F.E.V.. Unless the PCs find a way to get rid of the cannisters (noticing them isn't that hard - the freakin' things glow in the dark!) the whole problem will start over again - and do you want to picture what might happen with weasels or badgers if the FEV could do this to cute li'l fluffy bunnies? Tongue

Traditionally F.E.V. isn't radioactive.  Also with the +200% intelligence most animals gain from FEV treatment it maybe possible to reason with the rabbit swarm, if a method of communication is found.  You could have it that there is both FEV and radioative waste seepage, the FEV responsible for the massive increase in size, and muscle mass, and the radioactive waste responsible for brain degredation, turning the bunnies feral [irridated humans became the stupid mutants in the original fallout, with 'pure' humans retaining their intelligence]?

Of course it could be another vault experiment [like 87's], using altered FEV...
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »

Plus the whole area around the warren is radioactive from the leaking cannisters of F.E.V.. Unless the PCs find a way to get rid of the cannisters (noticing them isn't that hard - the freakin' things glow in the dark!) the whole problem will start over again - and do you want to picture what might happen with weasels or badgers if the FEV could do this to cute li'l fluffy bunnies? Tongue

Traditionally F.E.V. isn't radioactive.  Also with the +200% intelligence most animals gain from FEV treatment it maybe possible to reason with the rabbit swarm, if a method of communication is found.  You could have it that there is both FEV and radioactive waste seepage, the FEV responsible for the massive increase in size, and muscle mass, and the radioactive waste responsible for brain degredation, turning the bunnies feral [irridated humans became the stupid mutants in the original fallout, with 'pure' humans retaining their intelligence]?

Of course it could be another vault experiment [like 87's], using altered FEV...
I am actually assuming that it is a deliberate (or actually semi-deliberate) occurrence. A stockpile that was intended for use that instead was hastily disposed of rather than destroyed, possibly with a one time goal of recovery that was neglected in the years following the last war.

The tactics that I have planned out for the bunnies are fairly brutal - all the bunnies aside from mama go after a single character - either one on the edge of the group of PCs or one that is somehow separate from the main group. Surrounding that single character and attacking as a swarm.

The name that I am running with for the species is Lepus Atrox, with mama named Lepus Atrox Major. While confirming the Latinate name for the critter I ran across this -  The Night of the Lepus! I may need to seek it out. Tongue

I am afraid. Very, very, afraid. Tongue

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:37:52 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »

The tactics that I have planned out for the bunnies are fairly brutal - all the bunnies aside from mama go after a single character - either one on the edge of the group of PCs or one that is somehow separate from the main group. Surrounding that single character and attacking as a swarm.

The name that I am running with for the species is Lepus Atrox, with mama named Lepus Atrox Major. While confirming the Latinate name for the critter I ran across this -  The Night of the Lepus! I may need to seek it out. Tongue

I am afraid. Very, very, afraid. Tongue

The Auld Grump

Last week I had a group of feral vampires attack the PC's and give them the swarm template while in a group of 4 or more [I remembered reading something similiar to that as an origin option].  I can tell you from experiance that swarms of stuff that bites is absolutely brutal.  They ripped though the party's Centaur [who was by far the toughest party member] in about 2 rounds, before the Channeller fireballed half of them into dust.

Edit: That night of Lepus looks to be something else, I'm definately gonna seek that out.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 11:02:47 PM »

The current versions of the Doom Bunnies of Doom!

Lepus Atrox (Animal 41 XP): Init VII; Atk V; Def III; Resilience II; Damage Save: II; SZ T; Spd 40 ft; Qualities: burrow, fearless (+4), fearsome, feral, fleet (+10ft), horde, inferior attribute (Str 6), minion, natural attack (bite II), swarm, treacherous, undersized (Tiny).

Lepus Atrox Major (Special NPC 52 XP): Init V; Atk V; Def III; Resilience IV; v/wp: III; Competence: II; Skills: Acrobatics III, Athletics III, Intimidate III, Sneak III, Survival III; SZ S; Spd 40 ft; Wealth: None; Weapons: None; Gear: None; Vehicle: None; Qualities: beast, burrow, fearless (+4), fearsome, feral, fleet (+10ft), henchman, natural attack (bite III), undersized (Small).

Mama is treated as a Henchman, though she is actually a lone menace, aside from her get. As she is a Special NPC I gave her the Beast quality, while mute she has the equivalent of a 10 Int.

Again, thanks to Meadicus for the excellent NPC builder.

The Auld Grump

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 02:23:23 AM »

The current versions of the Doom Bunnies of Doom!

Lepus Atrox (Animal 41 XP): Init VII; Atk V; Def III; Resilience II; Damage Save: II; SZ T; Spd 40 ft; Qualities: burrow, fearless (+4), fearsome, feral, fleet (+10ft), horde, inferior attribute (Str 6), minion, natural attack (bite II), swarm, treacherous, undersized (Tiny).

Lepus Atrox Major (Special NPC 52 XP): Init V; Atk V; Def III; Resilience IV; v/wp: III; Competence: II; Skills: Acrobatics III, Athletics III, Intimidate III, Sneak III, Survival III; SZ S; Spd 40 ft; Wealth: None; Weapons: None; Gear: None; Vehicle: None; Qualities: beast, burrow, fearless (+4), fearsome, feral, fleet (+10ft), henchman, natural attack (bite III), undersized (Small).

Mama is treated as a Henchman, though she is actually a lone menace, aside from her get. As she is a Special NPC I gave her the Beast quality, while mute she has the equivalent of a 10 Int.

Again, thanks to Meadicus for the excellent NPC builder.

The Auld Grump

Nice.  Isn't tiny a bit well, tiny?  I've seen pet rabbits who were bigger then tiny, not to mention the size increase that comes with FEV.  Of course it might be too horror inducing to describe the scene as "A dozen cute, fluffy little bunnies, each the size of a german shepard, looks at your group...hungrily."
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »

More that the OGL terms are a tad misleading - a Great Dane for example is considered 'small', while a pony is medium. A small dog would also be considered tiny - dachshund, terrier, and so would Maine Coon cats, lynxes, and wildcats.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »

As for big bunnies - meet Herman:

Three feet of fighting mad rabbit! Well... three feet of rabbit anyway. Tongue

The Auld Grump

gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »

They had one of those rabbits at the zoo I used to work at.  It's back claws could mess you up.  But, it was adorably soft if you could catch the darn thing..

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 11:40:52 PM »

As for big bunnies - meet Herman:
* cut the picture to save space *

Three feet of fighting mad rabbit! Well... three feet of rabbit anyway. Tongue

The Auld Grump

That is a very big bunny!  Shocked

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 01:16:18 AM »

That is a bunny with one helping of the hulking quality. Tongue

The Auld Grump

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »

More that the OGL terms are a tad misleading - a Great Dane for example is considered 'small', while a pony is medium. A small dog would also be considered tiny - dachshund, terrier, and so would Maine Coon cats, lynxes, and wildcats.

The Auld Grump

It probalby doesn't help that I'm picturing bunnies the size of a good sized dog [rottweiller, german shepard, great dane], rather then terriers and wildcats.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »

Ayuh, Herman up there is about as big as a bunny gets in this world - a breed called German Giant. That is about where the low end of Small kicks in, I think. Tiny might be between one foot and two feet long.

A better way to picture it is base size - two Hermans could fit easily in a single 5' square, so he is small.

I am likely to revise the size of the bunnies if it turns out the minis are bigger - if I can fit 4 bunnies on a square then they are tiny, if I can only fit two then they are small. If mama fills a base on her own then she is medium, etc.. I will adjust other attributes accordingly - the bigger the bunny the higher the Str.

As for Daddy bunny, and how big he is... look up angler fish. Tongue (A bit of trivia that I have been stuck with for years....)

The scenario name is The Awful Things That Rabbits Do.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »

I really need to hammer out some radiation rules - I came up with some that really, really made me hate them even before trying them out. (A Fort save every round of exposure, a successful save halving the doses for the round, with ability damage being inflicted at 200, 400, 600, and 800 rads - automatic death at 1000 rads. The real number crunching fun coming in when rad resistance (Rad-X, feats, etc) removing a percentage before the save... 'Let's see, six rads per round, a 20% resistance, call it four rads, make a save - oh look, you gained 2 rads, only 198 rads to go before it starts having an effect....) Blaaaaarrrrgggghhh!  Angry The kind of thing a computer excels at, but that sucks at the table.

I am now considering a threshold system, with rad resistance increasing the threshold, and a save delaying the effects of crossing the threshold. So, accumulate rads until 200, or 240 if you have a 20% rad resistance, then a save has to be made every ten minutes and each time you accumulate more rads.

Accumulating rads is important, because even eating and drinking in the Wastes adds to your radiation.

Going with the numbers from Fallout radiation damage, modified for Spycraft, and made a trifle nastier:
200 Rads: -1 Con
400 Rads: -1 Str, - 1 Con
600 Rads: -1 Dex, -1 Str, -1 Con (Permanent.)
800 Rads: -1 Wis, -1 Dex, -1 Str, -1 Con (Permanent.)
1,000 Rads: You probably welcome death by now....

Saves must be made every 10 minutes, and can continue doing damage unless the rad level is dropped - so at 400 rads every 10 minutes you risk losing another 1 Str and 1 Con with a failed save.

Rad resistance may be paired with a feat that can lead to ghoulification, and will definitely be in a background that can do so. If you reach 1,000 rads, or remain at 400+ rads for long enough then you.

The system still needs to be beaten on with a hammer.

The Auld Grump - this is not trying for a realistic system, but rather trying to replicate some of the feel of radiation in Fallout 3.

*EDIT* Just food and drink probably adds another 5-10 rads every day.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:48:17 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »

Why not emulate stress/subdual damage, or similar? You've got a threshold concept right there, and by following those rules you would reduce the learning/using curve (I'm always a big fan of re-using or tiering from existing mechanics). You are also able to emulate the natural variation in resistance exhibited in real life. Rad-X feats could add to the effective ability score upon which the thresholds are based.

Walter
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

I have considered something like that, and may yet go back to it.

But the thing about radiation is that the accumulated rads won't go away with a failed save, I really do want the PCs worrying about how many rads they are picking up. The problem is the nickel and dime way they build up, six here, twelve there, and eight more for my brahmin steak and a pint of bitters.

On the plus side, that nickel and dime accumulation means that it won't be crippling for a low level group, where a higher level group is likely to be getting rads in sudden large doses. (*BAMPH!* Okay, take 20 points of fire damage, and 126 rads as the Glowing One flashes you.)

I also want to keep the idea of radiation continuing damage until the total dose is somehow lowered. (A wee drop of Rad Away!(tm) and watch the dosimeter plummet!) Though I might find a way of rounding to the closest 10.

I still need to think out the system.... Somewhere I think that I have a PDF of Darwin's World - I think I need to see what they do with radiation....

The Auld Grump, Darwin's World is pretty freakin' grim, even when compared to Fallout....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: