Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 09:21:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Request] Florida Based Fallout Campaign?  (Read 16134 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »

I am inclined to handwave it as well, except that battles over salvaged resources are part of the setting.

Perhaps a hybrid - a Survival roll determining if ammo is found, weapons as loot. The Survival roll taking place during down time. The better the survival roll the more ammo available for the next mission, perhaps allowing characters to scout for specific ammo at a higher DC.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »

In theory you could keep track of every round that every bad guy has, but that's a horrid pain in the arse.  Maybe something that you roll to see how much ammo bad guys have at the start of the encounter?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »

Yeah. I am leaning towards a deck system for encounters with Raiders, Wastelanders, etc.. Rather than rolling just grab a few cards out of the deck, and that's what they got. I will mean that some bunches will have an odd mix of weapons, but that seems to fit with the setting.

Enclave, Brotherhood, and Outcasts will have standard sets of equipment, possibly excepting the heavy weapons guy. (Sometimes a mini gun, sometimes a flamer, sometimes a etc.)

Goodness knows, I have never seen NPCs run out off ammo in the game, except grenades. So the random part will be how much they have remaining on their corpses, rather than how many shots they get.

But mostly, I think I will be dropping ammo in as full magazines for convenience. (Mine and the players....)

But it seems like the salvage system is going to be the sticking point in my mind.

The Auld Grump

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »

One of my gripes is how the bad guys always seem to have the same amount of ammo on their corpses.  Shoot him in the head, eight rounds.  Protracted firefight, he still has eight bullets left at the end.  Grrr.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »

One of my gripes is how the bad guys always seem to have the same amount of ammo on their corpses.  Shoot him in the head, eight rounds.  Protracted firefight, he still has eight bullets left at the end.  Grrr.
Most likely to prevent players from exploiting the situation - teasing the NPC into expending ammo. (A viable tactic, but...) yet still limiting the amount of ammo that they can scavenge. (If you give the NPC a hundred rounds then you are letting the PC get those hundred rounds.

So, I am going to emulate this to a certain extent - if the NPC runs out of ammo then he has run out of ammo, but if the PCs get to loot the corpse it will have a random number of rounds.

Missile launchers are a different story - most missile launcher dudes and dudettes will be carrying a limited number, and a pistol for when the missiles run out. Missiles ought to be heavy. (Not to mention mini-nukes....) I think that instead of mini nukes as funky missiles I will put in mortars with mini nukes as one of several rounds available. (And more intended for cracking buildings and heavy vehicles than personal armor,)

Grenade launchers were also sadly overlooked.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:29:42 AM »

I have fleshed out my plans for Gibsonton, scenario tentatively titled 'Welcome to the Freakshow'.

Given the town's background as a wintering place for circus freaks there is an abundance of the odd - including some ghouls, four super mutants and a behemoth.

There is a small, but permanent, carnival on the main approach to town, including rickety but functional rides. Preparations are under way for a traveling circus, including a pack big enough to hold a big top - to be worn by the behemoth.

Folks seem friendly but reserved, with a tendency to stare blankly for a moment when something that might bear thought comes up. In particular the super mutants and behemoth tend to get that blank look when something occurs that angers them - a tightening of fists, a baring of teeth, then a blank look and a resumption of calm.... The ghouls do not seem to have these same lapses, but do seem to be enjoying a secret.

Ties include the gypsies, some of whom retire here when the Wasteland Road becomes too much to bear. Like the ghouls they seem to share a secret, or perhaps many. And indeed, one such retired gypsy is mayor, and apparent leader of the town. He affects the dress and manner of a ringmaster.

I suspect that just the fact that there is a carnival will be enough to trigger alarm bells for the players - it seems to me  that circuses have bad reputations in regards to RPGs.  Grin Another bell might be rung if they notice that feral ghouls will chase the group only so far towards town, then turn and run when they get closer to the town.

The Auld Grump - super mutants in whiteface anyone?

*EDIT* And for those who might wonder, the super mutants are named after four of the five founding Ringling Brothers. There may, or may not, be communication between Gibsonton and Baraboo.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:39:09 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 12:24:04 AM »

Continuing on Gibsonton....

I am considering a quality for Super Mutants called, tentatively, Thinking Hurts. All Int based skill checks inflict 10- [skill check total] Subdual Damage. (So a successful skill check with a low enough difficulty can still cause damage.) Thoughts as to what that might balance out as for points?

A feat might prevent such damage.

The Auld Grump

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »

I am considering a quality for Super Mutants called, tentatively, Thinking Hurts. All Int based skill checks inflict 10- [skill check total] Subdual Damage. (So a successful skill check with a low enough difficulty can still cause damage.) Thoughts as to what that might balance out as for points?

A feat might prevent such damage.

To give yourself flexibility I'd either drop the damage amount to 5-n and allow stacking (i.e. applying the quality multiple times), or offer multiple tiers (e.g. Thinking Hurts I @ 10-n; Thinking Hurts II @ 15-n). I personally prefer the first option.

How about rather than eliminating all damage all the time, the feat only applies the damage when the check fails (or, even more amusingly, only when it succeeds Tongue).

I don't have a recommendation for point value.

Walter
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »

For that matter, what would be the value for a quality that drops the Thinking Hurts subdual damage of creatures within a radius around you? (For something akin to the Master from Fallout 2.)

I rather like using tiers. Thinking Hurts I being 5, Thinking Hurts II being 10, Thinking Hurts III being 15,etc.. So a Behemoth would have Thinking Hurts III, or even IV - there's a reason those critters are so pissy. (And why taking one on a road trip, carrying a circus tent on its back, might be a bad idea. Tongue)

Thinking Hurts is based off of some of the things that Super Mutants  in Fallout 2 and 3 have to say - and the fact that there are at least three Super Mutants have gotten past that. (Marcus from FO 2 and both Uncle Leo and Faulks from FO 3.)

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »

Hmm, doing some work on the Visitors arc - how do the Enclave and the aliens interact?

My thoughts right now lean towards them having been allies in the past, tying Enclave in with MJ12. Whether they are still allies...? I lean towards the PCs getting hold of information that the Visitors sabotaged the spacecraft that the predecessors to the Enclave were planning to use for colonizing a new world, abandoning Earth to its fate. (Taken from The Vault a Fallout Wiki.

Thoughts?

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

The introductory adventure has been statted out, and I have made it portable - the location is a farming community, and the first clue that the PCs have is when they find an open barn with the following scribbled on the wall in charcoal:
The rabbit has a pleasant face,
 His private life is a disgrace
 I really could not tell to you
 The awful things that rabbits do.

The text is partially obscured by a welter of blood, almost certainly from the corpse lying on the floor beneath the poem. The body has been nearly stripped of flesh, but aside from the fountain that struck the wall there is no great abundance of blood.

You know, a cannister of F.E.V. leaking slowly into a large rabbit warren might have some effects....

The Auld Grump, it's bad when the rabbits start eating the crops, but when they start eating the farmers....

*EDIT* Did some digging, found these from Mega Miniatures -

Mama FEV Bunny and the li'l uns. Tongue
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:28:29 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »

Incidentally - the 'Bunny Plot' is modified from the starter scenario of the Fallout before there was Fallout CRPG 'Wastelands'. Part One came out in the late eighties, then months turned into years, and then to a decade with no sign of Part Two. So some good folks decided to heck with it, and wrote Fallout. Smiley

The proper title of the scenario is 'The Awful Things That Rabbits Do'. While still a bit of a Wumpus hunt there are some nasty surprises in store. The bunnies are treated as a Swarm of tiny animals, while the Bunny Queen is Small or Medium, depending on how big the mini turns out to be.

Next to be fleshed out will probably be either Welcome to the Freak Show, involving Gibsonton, or 'The Darkened Tunnels' and 'Walt Disney on Ice!' both involving Disney World.

The Auld Grump

VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 03:04:39 AM »

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.'

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 04:34:58 AM »

Holy Hand Grenade

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »

Heh, I will admit that Monty Python was one of the inspirations for this -  as was footage of piranha doing their thing.  Grin Combine the two and you can end up with a bloodbath.

Then I found the Mega Mini Rabbit Swarm, and it all slipped into place.... As for the big bunny, she just keeps going, and going, and going.... My first mental image was just a swarm of vorpal bunnies, but the mamma makes it more interesting.

Plus the whole area around the warren is radioactive from the leaking cannisters of F.E.V.. Unless the PCs find a way to get rid of the cannisters (noticing them isn't that hard - the freakin' things glow in the dark!) the whole problem will start over again - and do you want to picture what might happen with weasels or badgers if the FEV could do this to cute li'l fluffy bunnies? Tongue

The Auld Grump

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: