Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 05:14:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Bounties
| | |-+  Pat's Call for Research Assistants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pat's Call for Research Assistants  (Read 24327 times)
waterdhavian
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »

Anthropology: mainly cultural, but some biological/physical, with a dash of archaeology
Museum studies:  processing, conservation of artifacts and specimens
Media Studies: Theory and hands on experience with cameras and editing equipment

Chicago to Chicagoland: history, politics, Hot Dog Stands

You're now realizing Fantasy Craft's rules makes it easy to play a gelatinous cube with levels in assassin.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »

Not sure how it'll come up for research topics for the games, but restaurants and food are my area of knowledgeable expertisery. Preparing, cooking, history of food and its effect on different cultures (the potato originated around Peru and Chile and wasn't brought over to Europe until mid 1500's), along with a first hand reckoning of the restaurant culture and the people it attracts. I've always thought that Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential was exaggerated, but the longer I work in this field, the more I believe that book.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »

I can help with:

English History
Teaching in the UK
Marine and Freshwater Biology (my undergraduate degree)
All Sciences up to college level

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »

I hate to call myself an expert on anything, but I can talk intelligently and knowledgeably about:

Science Fiction (in the academic and the fan sense)
Anime and manga as art and tropes
East Asian culture, primarily Japanese and Chinese (more then the typical anime/wuxia fan, less then a native, resident, or formal student of it)
Buddhism (the Zen school of the Mahāyāna tradition, specifically)
Astronomy
Computers
Literary analysis
Information Technology as a field and a profession
Philadelphia and surrounding area
United States political theory, history and practice.
Lots and lots of 'useless' knowledge and factoids. (The longest golf hole in the world is the seventh hole  at Satsuki Golf Club in Sano, Japan; a 964 yard par 7. I don't play, follow, or enjoy golf. I have never been able to determine how or why I know stuff like this.)

I also have access to people who are highly knowledgeable in automotive racing (primarily F1), trains (US with some of the rest of North America), and the geopolitical and psychological history of the post WWII and Cold War eras.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:21:22 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »

Journalism/Speech Communication (majors in college)
Criminal empires (cartels, family groups) in the U.S. (from mid 1700s to present day), Italy (focusing on the rise of the Sicilian Mafia), South and Central America (Drug Cartels), Japan (Yakuza) and China (Triads and other groups)
Comparative religious studies (Mainly Western Religions) and I consider myself a self-taught minor theolgian.
(Tornado-Ape is a classicaly trained theolgian. He also has a great deal of knowledge about being a costumed character).
The expansion of the American West (Old West stuff)
Sports (from the physical development of athletes, competition, and even into the pro levels in the U.S. even the front office type procedures, etc.)
I also have access to people who know a great deal about stock car racing and custom engine rebuilding for personal use cars (and trucks), street racers and stock cars for local tracks.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
brazen_saint
Powered By Publisher
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »

I could help out with some of the following stuff:

• Computers, especially networking (computer network technician)
  • Hospitals (work in a small hospital)
  • Autism (son is severely autistic)
  • 'The western occult tradition'
  • Wuxia films
  • Plenty of other lesser, random stuff.

"We are men, and it is our lot to learn and to be hurled into inconceivable new worlds."  -- Carlos Castaneda quoting Don Juan.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »

Academic stuff:
  • Chemistry
  • Mathematics
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Catholic Theology

Slightly less academic stuff:
  • Natural Family Planning
  • Homeschooling

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

Natural Family Planning

Oh yeah, I could talk about NFP until I was blue in the... face.

Walter
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »

Natural Family Planning

Oh yeah, I could talk about NFP until I was blue in the... face.

Walter

Someone get the hose.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Minion
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »

Got a sneaking suspicion that astronomy is already pretty well covered (who doesn't love astronomy!), but if it's any help, I'm an astrophysicist. Gravitational lensing, quasars, galaxy structure and formation, cosmology, that sort of stuff. I work in a building full of physicists, too, so I've no doubt I could find someone to help out on most any physics queries. I can do your maths homework too!  Wink

Other than that, I'm an Australian, so I can back Mister Andersen up there. I can't promise I'll be able to keep my filthy left-wing tendencies out of any responses to questions on Australian political history, though!

Ask me about cricket. Please?
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »

Ask me about cricket. Please?

That's one game I don't understand.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Salsa
Agent

Why? Just Cause...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »

Basically the following:

• Brazilian Customs and Culture
  • Brazilian History
  • Brazilian organized crime
  • Cinema Arts (editing, photography, sound, screenwriting)
  • Conspiracies. I know the Question says it's singular.
  • Rio de Janeiro

"Colonel: Why not? This is a type of role-playing game. The point is that you play out your part -- and I expect you to turn in a perfect performance!"
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
Gentry