Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 01:08:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Bounties
| | |-+  Pat's Call for Research Assistants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pat's Call for Research Assistants  (Read 25110 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm gonna be working on a number of research-heavy projects across a wide variety of topics over the next while and I'm gonna need help. If any of you feel qualified to speak with authority on anything - specific periods of history, certain agencies in government, economics, space exploration, the chemical content of 1960s toothpaste - post to this thread. No topic is too niche, too bizarre, or too obscure.

Mostly I'll be keeping this as a record of my research options here on the boards but I'll periodically put out a call to see if anyone can help with something specific. In those cases the timing will be tight so respond promptly if you want to get involved.

Anyone I contact to help me with a project will receive credit and a copy of the product.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:11:25 PM by Crafty_Pat » Logged

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »

1) I am a Dept of Army civilian. My actual work focuses on environmental planning, but that means I touch a bunch of different topics (e.g. training doctrine, vehicle capabilities). Some of the information I touch is classified or has a public release caveat (i.e. isn't technically classified, but cannot be released except for official use or through a FOIA request), but most of the unformation is available for public release. That means I could probably supply information on:
  • Environmental laws/regs (federal, or somewhat dated California-specific)
  • Environmental impact analysis
  • Specific technical answers RE: certain environmental fields (e.g. archaeology, biology, air quality, water quality)
  • Limited .mil subjects

2) I am just recently becoming active in the Society for Creative Anachronism (largely because that allows me to spend hobby time with my family). As a result, I am delving into late-16th century Spanish history, especially related to colonization of the Philippines. While I am still narrowing down my specific areas of interest, my research will likely include:
  • A general overview of 15th-16th century Spanish history (to provide context)
  • A general overview of Spain's late-16th century international relations
  • Period-specific Spanish names
  • Period-specific Spanish clothing (middle- and upper-class)
  • Period-specific Spanish armor and personal weapons
  • Early history of Spanish colonization of the Philippines
  • Influence of Spanish colonization on native food of the Philippines (or vice-versa)
  • Period-specific Spanish views on inter-cultural families
  • Heraldic devices

3) I am currently in a Masters of Public Administration program (basically, an MBA for government). I am also Vice-Chair on a Board of Directors for a non-profit. I could probably provide limited information related to generic governance issues (e.g. budgeting).

Walter
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »

I guess what I could offer would be information about Norway, and somewhat the rest of Scandinavia. Language, history, geography, etc. Not an expert by any means, but being a local research would be in most cases trivial.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »

I was a Joe, spent almost three years in ADA, and six more as an infantryman in the National Guard.  I did one o' them thar combat deployments to Iraq.  Outside that I grew up in NYC earned my Eagle and was in my local Civil Air Patrol squadron, did a bit of travel about the western hemisphere and really like beer and weapon systems.  The girl takes me to the Ren Faire, so I've got my kilt and can tell you a decent amount about its history.  These days I'm a ship agent in the port of New York.

Alright, let's see about bulleting this:
  • US Army weapons
  • Scots stuff
  • Beer
  • Scotch
  • Firearms in general
  • Low tech search and rescue
  • International Shipping
  • General Logistics
  • Amateur Philosopher
  • Font of Wisdom (Geeze I need new friends when I'm the voice of reason.)
  • The Irish Regiment
  • New York City

That seems to have worked, even if I forgot something.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »

I guess what I could offer would be information about Norway, and somewhat the rest of Scandinavia. Language, history, geography, etc. Not an expert by any means, but being a local research would be in most cases trivial.

How many Kroner is a pint of the good local brew?  (Or did you guys go Euro?)  What is said local brew?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

Same here, this case about Spain...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »

I was an enlisted submariner in the US Navy, and now work as a programmer on US Navy projects related to cruisers and carriers.

I am also a hobby astronomer

I could speak intelligebly about:

- US Navy submarines, surface ships, and aircraft
- Nuclear Power
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Computer Science

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »

How many Kroner is a pint of the good local brew?  (Or did you guys go Euro?)  What is said local brew?

Prices vary quite a bit, but I'd say 50-55 kroner is a good average. 'course, most places don't serve pints anymore, they've shrunk it down to about 3/4 of a pint... bloody thieves, the lot of 'em... Still keeping our own coinage, no plans of changing in the near future. There are several small breweries in or around the area, I'd say Munkholmen is the biggest/most famous local brewery.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Gentry