Author Topic: [WEBSTORE] Share your opinions, earn store credit!  (Read 145 times)

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
[WEBSTORE] Share your opinions, earn store credit!
« on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
Hello Agents!

As you may have noticed, the all-new, all-different Crafty Games webstore launched last week, with a heap of new content and features:

• The entire Crafty Games catalog, together for the first time: For the first time ever, you can get every single Crafty Games product – including our entire catalog of Classic Spycraft, Shadowforce Archer, Spycraft 2.0, and Fantasy Craft PDFs, alongside exclusives and promotional items – all in one place!
  • New Checkout Options: We now accept both Paypal and credit card directly through our secure site.
  • Rewards Points!: Our new rewards program gives you 1 point for every dollar you spend at crafty-games.com Every point can be redeemed for credit on future purchases from our webstore, be it for books, PDFs, games, or even shipping!
  • Manage Downloads, Points, and Purchases with My Account: The new My Account tab lets you store and download all your PDF and digital product purchases, alongside your receipts, preorders, and rewards points, in one place.
  • Free Downloads!: Now you can get our most popular and requested support files, including character sheets and errata, along with a number of new tools such as NPC builders and gamemaster screens, all for free.

While we're thrilled to finally have this store up and running (along with a bunch of new features in the works - including vastly improved international shipping rates!), there's one thing still missing - you!

Review Crafty Products, Get Store Credit
Since our products have been scattered all over the place for the last decade, you the Crafty Faithful have had to buy them outside our site. But your insights and opinions are essential for helping the new generation learn about what you think makes our games great.

Rather than keep these here (often buried), in the forum, we'd like to ask you if you'd post your reviews - new or old - to our new product pages. If you own (or have extensively played) a Crafty product in the past, we'd love to hear what you think!

As a thank you for contributing your reviews and ratings, we're offering 5 rewards points - the equivalent reward of a $5 purchase - for every review you post! That's effectively 25 cents store credit for each review, which you can then spend for discounts on anything and everything you can buy from the new Crafty store. A current tally of your points can be found in your My Account page.

To leave a review, first create or log into your account on crafty-games.com,, go to the Crafty Games webstore, then navigate to the product page for the book or game you wish you review. Then, click the "Review" button in the Additional Information box below the product image to rate and review the product.

Please note this bounty will be offered for a limited time only, until such time as we determine we either have a sufficient number or reviews, or the end of the year, whichever comes first. So claim your credit while you can!

Thanks everyone, and stay Crafty!

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: [WEBSTORE] Share your opinions, earn store credit!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
How big can these review be?

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
I like this. Already picked up the FC GM screen that I did not have

LSpy Mastermind

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
When I try to post a review, I get this (from multiple IP addresses - home & work):

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.
Block details:
Your IP:    ***.***.***.***
URL:    www.crafty-games.com/wp-comments-post.php
Your Browser:    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Block ID:    CMB055
Block reason:    Comments and xmlrpc are being blocked on this site.
Time:    Mon Nov 13 18:50:10 2017
Server ID:    16006
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:56:29 PM by Mister Andersen 2.0 »

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Hey Mr. A,

Not sure why that's occurring - we are not running any large scale filters against Pacific nations, but your being a long ways away may be triggering something.

Out of curiosity, how long are your reviews? Do they use HTML or other code?
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:55:37 PM »
Putting up an edited version of my AC review back from when I won my copy

Spoiler: show

The Adventure Companion is the first major addition to the line's game mechanics toolkit after the release of the core rules. The book is divided into 4 chapters; the first three contain three new campaign settings while the last hosts the vast bulk of the new crunch.

Setting 1: Cloak & Dagger.

In and of itself, this is an interesting setting with a good deal of potential. The choice of an "inspired by" instead of a "based on" aesthetic helps this pseudo Greco-Roman setting carve out its own niche in territory occupied by the likes of Xena: Warrior Princess, HBO's Rome and Spartacus: Blood & Sand. Though it may suffer comparisons with these — as well as to games such as Hellas and Legend of the 5 Rings, which have more lavishly reinvented similar mythic-historical settings — Cloak & Dagger remains relatively novel.

It is, primarily, a setting based on social interaction and investigation in which meticulous fieldwork and plots of intrigue are punctuated by brief bursts of decisive, tense action. Though easily adapted to more outré tastes, the default setting is low-fantasy with humanity the only race strutting the world stage with an occasional ancient monster lurking in the wings looking for payback for the acts of genocide perpetrated against them by the armies of the 7 epic heroes who built the Golden Empire from the ruins of the previous one. Naturally that all effort went to hell and now the empire bequeathed to their descendents is just as corrupt and riven by internal strife as the one they deposed, while pagan hordes to the south, barbarians to the north and monotheist terrorists are all busy trying to bring the whole heap crashing down. Naturally the PCs are generally expected to do the "right thing" by being right unscrupulous bastards in the background just like the spies of the Cold War.

On the mechanics side of things, C&D is brief. There are a tiny number of regional talents and setting specialties, a single new feat, a pleasing smattering of new gear items and a respectable array of NPCs. Intriguingly, staples of espionage — and precursor game Spycraft — such as fake IDs and codes are treated as simple consumable items just like food or ammunition. Prizes, renown and such like are addressed and redressed for the setting.

A shout out to the art piece on pg 39. That cityscape is seriously gorgeous and my outright favourite piece from the whole book.

Setting 2: Epoch

A small number of standard fantasy races dropped into a setting based heavily on the ancient worlds of North and Latin America, flavoured with the mythology of Bronze Age Ireland and Scandinavia, overlaid with themes of classic barbarian fantasy. There's a distinct feel of the old White Wolf game Werewolf: the Apocalypse here with the overwhelmed Native American style good guys fighting for survival against massively over-the-top demon-loving Aztec style invaders. Magic-use twists both the practitioner and the land, corrupting all. It's not quite Conan versus Cthulhu, but it is definitely visceral balls-to-the-wall stuff that I think lives up to its Frazetta-inspired design goal (even though the line art can't help but lack that sense of brooding menace).

As with the first chapter, there's not a great deal of new mechanics options to be found here: a slew of NPCs, a couple of Origins that let you play both sides of the conflict, species feats that include a new chain for ogres (which have nothing setting-unique about them so could have been dropped into the final chapter), and ways to change the game economy over to barter-based exchanges while still keeping items at their "silver value". Prizes, renown and such like are again addressed and redressed for the setting.

Setting 3: Sunchaser.

This gives off a very anime-/Japanese RPG-ish vibe: humans escaping countless generations of subterranean servitude to goblins and their god have found themselves in a new world and spent the last 2 centuries in co-operation with the various indigenous races colonising a lush river-filled valley containing remnants both material and living of a long vanished culture.

While there's a scenery-chewing force of evil "out there" poised to strike, Sunchaser none the less has by far the most positive and sustainable outlook of the three settings here. Similarly, by dint of being closest to the default fantasy RPG assumptions and themes of Lord of the Rings, it has the most diverse options for playing non-humans and as such likely will have the broadest appeal of the three settings on offer.

Being the most generic, there's not a lot of tweaking required on a mechanical level. There's the usual assortment of setting specific Origins and feats (many of which are Species-based), as well as NPCs

Mechanics: A Hero's Journey.

AKA the stuff a fair number of people will be primarily buying this book for. No stand alone Talents, but there's a number of new Specialties that will interest those who like to deconstruct them to build their own Origins. There are a number of 'new' classes presented here, over half of which have been culled from the Call to Arms pdfs (but without the helpful how-tos of those documents).

In addition to the perennial favourite of previous editions that is the Martial Artist, a second new base class is introduced here in the form of the Emissary which is focused on espionage and investigation. These are accompanied by a spread of non-arcane expert classes - Bloodsworn (body guard), Deadeye (sniper), Force of Nature (elementalist), Galant (duelist), Monk (mystic martial arts) and the Monster Slayer (big game hunter). And finally we have the debut of 5-level master classes: the Dragon Lord (essentially the old D&D dragon disciple with a gamebreaker that lets drakes become humanoid and humanoids become drakes), the Regent (a social monster ultimately capable of beguiling everyone in a scene), the Spirit Singer (a love child of the Keeper and Priest classes who will make you want to take the alignment it requires) and the Wind Knight (there are Princess of Power comparisons to be made here, and the gamebreaker rewards style with chance).

There a massive number of feats from every category. Unsurprisingly, a number of them have a more "modern" feel to them that makes them useful in settings such as Cloak & Dagger, but there are also call outs to old style D&D species characteristics such as proficiency in slaying big critters. Understandably there are virtually no Spellcasting feats as they're being held over for Spellbound, but that's made up for by the daunting quantity of both Species feats and new advanced tricks that are presented here, translated from their Spycraft predecessors. Closing out the book is a small number of new campaign qualities.

The in-universe narrative style of the setting chapters may not be to everyone's taste but taken as a whole, this 144 page book is a welcome addition to the Fantasy Craft family, even if for no other reason than the volume of mechanics crunch it contains.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
Hey Mr. A - thanks for the deets. I am finally back at home from multiple weeks on the road, and have submitted your error to our firewall. I will let you know what they say.

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
Ah! It looks like our firewall was blocking comments and trackbacks. Can you please try posting again Mr. A?

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
I'll give it a crack tonight my time