Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2014, 04:43:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  MBRPG - Hit us with your wishlists!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MBRPG - Hit us with your wishlists!  (Read 11929 times)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »

Hey folks,

Work on the Mistborn RPG is now in full swing, and I thought I'd take a quick survey of some of the trilogy's biggest fans to see what YOU are expecting/wanting/desperately hoping for out of a game like this.

Some specific questions that might help frame your thinking:

* What's your favorite part/most anticipated element of a Mistborn RPG?
* What are some character concepts you were hoping to play/see at the table?
* What parts of the game world do you most want to see done "right"?
* Are there aspects of the Mistborn setting you would like explored further, beyond what the books covered?
* Are there any particular elements that you have a tough time visualizing or would like to see an artistic treatment of?

While we've already made a number of key decisions about the game and structure of the book, the sky's the limit - just don't expect that because you asked for it, that it'll automatically be there Smiley Thanks in advance for your time and input!

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »

Though it seems an evil practice, I am very intrigued by Hemalurgy.  I also greatly want to see if there is a way to balance the seemingly overwhelming power of mistborn versus mistlings and "normals."

I may be in a minority here, but I'm most interested in adding Allomancy, Hemalurgy, and Feruchemy to a modern game.  Exploring the world after the Age of Heroes ends is intriguing, but given the setup, it almost seems that in the era of the books, focus should be more on the outlying areas of the Empire, where the Lord Ruler has less sway.  Unless you want to be having court intrigue games.

I can see this being an SC 2.0 sized tome.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »

I want to be able to play a kandra. Thrid-gen, full able to mix-n-match kandra like TenSoon.  I don't care if I have to take 3 feats and a master class to get there, it should be possible damnit. That includes rules for all four blessings, including the rare case where a Kandra ends up taking another Kandra's blessings for himself.

Feruchemists. In addition to the "do everything" Feruchemists we see in the book, Brandon hinted on his forums that the Feruchemical equivilent to mistings would show up if he ever does a sequil trilogy. Dear god would that rock.

Rules for all the metals, in Feruchemy, Hemalurgy, and Allomancy. And I don't mean "all the ones seen in the book" I mean all the metals. Brandon's left hints on his forums (and the poster), but I'm sure he'll give you guys a more in depth view if you ask (after all, you are making a game for him).

Allomantic savants, as hinted at in the third book (and shown in the case of Spook). Feat chain? Something like that. Spook rocked.

Hemalurgy. Nuff said.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »

One thing I would like to see is that since this sort of game could easily be very story driven, political and less combat heavy than Fantasy products like DnD, a way for people to get experience that doesn't require fighting.

I'm thinking something akin to the storyteller system where people are given exp at the end of each game session based on playing a character well and not necessarily for what they physically did during the session.

I would love to see it as an expansion to already existing product because that would make it a much more usable game at my tables.  So far, I'm the only one in my group of friends who has read it, and trying to get them to play another fantasy game based in a world they know nothing about is tough.  Especially when we're gonna have Fantasy Craft by then, so we'll have plenty of our own stuff to work with.

Also, if we use it as a FC/2.0 system, I think that push/pull battles with metal should be a dramatic conflict instead of magic-like abilities or ranged weapons/opposed disarms whatever.  I definitely get the feel of a predator/prey situation when I read about those fights.  (Although typically normal people cant do all that much about it)  When two Allomancers go after eachother in this way, it shouldn't be about who's got more HP, but a drawn out dramatic conflict until someone runs out of metal or gets overpowered, etc.

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »

The more I've read (and I'm still waiting for Book 3 to arrive) the more I'm convinced that the d20 system and its derivatives have no place in the world of the Final Empire any more than they had a place in the worlds of Theah or Rokugan.  Something like AEG's old roll-and-keep or WW's storyteller system feel far more suited to a property like Mistborn than the d20 engine.

As to what I want to see, I want to see Vin's powerset broken up into lots of discrete abilities. 

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »

Rules for all the metals, in Feruchemy, Hemalurgy, and Allomancy. And I don't mean "all the ones seen in the book" I mean all the metals. Brandon's left hints on his forums (and the poster), but I'm sure he'll give you guys a more in depth view if you ask (after all, you are making a game for him).

While I agree that they'd be nice to see, such rules as "metals we didn't see in the books but still do stuff" are things I'd rather see appear in a GM-specific area of the book, rather the same way the old 7th Sea books presented NPCs, but saved their dark secrets for the GM chapter.  That way a GM can add them, not add then, let his players discover them, or alter them without (theoretically) his players knowing what's coming.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

On those who want to see stats for the 'story characters':  Live with it, none of us is going to make a Mistborn as awesome as Vin.  The characters in most fantasy stories are over the top and unbalanced, making poor PCs.  It's not just that Vin is an epic (level 21+) character, as much as that she STARTS the book just a few month's training from a fairly unacheivable character.

[Example:  My favorite RIFTS character was Python the Demigod.  Not because he had awesome power, or because the earth shook when he walked, because neither of these were true.  He lived in terror of Dogboy packs, and the way the Psi Stalkers looked at him like a snack.  No, the reason I liked Python was because of scenes like where he was trying to learn to use chopsticks.  Hint: Just don't even ask.  I got GREAT mental affinity - most people got beyond the fact I was a walking snake-man; dexterity... eh, you always have that one stat that makes you wince in RIFTS.  On the plus side, I held onto my chopsticks and neither of them ended up in my nose.  My POINT is that while awesomeness is fine, we also define ourselves by the LIMITATIONS of our characters.]

I'm not sure that MISTBORN meshes well with Gamecraft; it seems that Vin always has that 'spare vial of metals' with her.  To some extent, YES, if I'm an Allomancer I'm going to have metal dust as available as I can make it.  But Pewter and Tin are the only metals with KNOWN drawbacks to over-use.  Balancing metal-users and mundanes is going to be the primary challenge of this RPG, and I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Feruchemy worries me... 'You spent two weeks in town-' immediately the Terris character is going to tell you that they spent all two weeks in a nearly comatose state, stockpiling the attributes they'll squander later.  Seriously, it begs for the Order of the Broken Ring, a grandmother's union that putters about town, poking sleeping people with dangerously sharp butter knives. 

BUT what I'd most like to see is - diversity among the Skaa.  The books stress how different the Allomancers are, how their abilities alter their perceptions.  With the exception of the barely mentioned Skaa merchants, the Skaa are just -red shirts.  Sure, you'll have some Skaa around if someone uses a resource pick, but you'd never want to PLAY one - like groks in Ars Magica.  For all that the idealists talk about Skaa equality, most of their appearances in the novel make them look pathetic rather than dangerous.  I'd like to see Skaa as something that has a place in the world rather than 'those people who are like unto the muck we walk upon'.

[edit]
Oh, and take a look at General Demois - starting as a red shirt, but becoming someone you'd almost be proud to call your PC.  I'd like to see a formal system for (gradually) augmenting NPCs.  Maybe unspent Action Dice during the Debriefing Phase, combined with unclaimed XP?  I've got my own system for this, but most PCs aren't willing to invest either, let alone both, on something they themselves don't control.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:14:37 PM by Rhishisikk » Logged

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
ancientcampus
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »

Book three spoiler:
(click to show/hide)
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

On those who want to see stats for the 'story characters':  Live with it, none of us is going to make a Mistborn as awesome as Vin.  The characters in most fantasy stories are over the top and unbalanced, making poor PCs.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment.  Nothing turns me off to a game more than the concept of NPCs that are always more powerful than PCs can possibly become.  I detest these types of characters in Forgotten Realms and I can't even begin to consider playing anything put out by White Wolf for much the same reason*.  It is, frankly, a shitty methodolgy for world design that has ruined more than one game, both for me and many of my friends.  It's an approach that I can guarantee would cost customers, I know of at least 3 off-hand, but whether or not this way of thinking is prevalent enough to warrant consideration in Crafty businesss decisions is really beyond my data.

(click to show/hide)

So, no, I don't see Vin as "over the top and unbalanced" or as a "poor PC".  The poor PCs would be the ones that basically spend their time on the sidelines cheering on the heroes of the story.

Bill Whitmore, thanking the gods he never had to wear pom-poms to cheer on Elminster and Blackstaff in a game, especially since his character can now take them on, and also wants to apologize to Auld Grump for stealing his schtick.

*Though this is not the only problem I have with their games, it is a big one.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Gentry