Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 01:00:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  [Archived] Old Just 'cause Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Archived] Old Just 'cause Thread  (Read 12029 times)
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »

Hey everyone,

since I thought the discussion in the old thread was interesting, I saved it. Here's the whole shebang for your edification.

Originally posted by Gatac:

It has begun.

A "man & woman" HA/LO drop that doesn't lead to sex! More throwing in real tech with fictional doodads! And, of course, liberal pilfering from every movie made about South America, ever.

http://lessdramamorebullets.blogspot.com/2007/01/just-cause-chapter-1.html

And, of course, tag view - automatically gives you all the chapters as they're posted.

http://lessdramamorebullets.blogspot.com/search/label/justcause
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »

Originally posted by Potantsuem

Awesome mate. One of your best. This is the kind of reading I enjoy. Looking forword to chapter 2. Wish my writing was like this.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »

Originally posted by Gatac

Thanks! Without giving away too many of my secrets, I find that there are a few tricks to writing "my" way - first off, experience. The important thing is the experience. It's a delicate balancing act, but describing how your characters feel, what they see and hear and think - as opposed to what is really happening - is important. I also add grit whereever I can - yes, technology is amazing, I'm a big gunbunny and war nerd, but it's important to emphasize the human side of things, the limitations, the flaws. For example, I don't recall off-hand any mention of just how sick you can get flying in the back of a military cargo aircraft if you're not used to it - that was something that I feel is missing from a lot of stuff, where everything just works.

Personal anecdote: as German citizen, I was a draftee in the German Airforce for 9 months. After graduation from Basic (in itself worthy of more stories, but I disgress), I was transferred to my final destination (so to speak), a big airbase. There, the new recruits of the quarter got the big tour of the place, which included a short flight in the back of a C-160 Transall. They were doing this in groups (they get lots of draftees), so when we were ferried onto the airfield, we saw the prior group stumbling out of the cargo bay of the recently landed aircraft - and an ambulance! Turns out one of these guys had fainted on the flight...and several others were losing their lunch onto the tarmac. For the record, the flight was very bumpy (I got the impression they were having a little fun with the newbies), but we all managed to hold on to our stomach contents.

Did I mention I don't ride rollercoasters, either? Cheesy

I also try to get real-world details right whenever I can, consulting city maps, technical data and my collection of gun books. If I need something for a special ability, I'm liable to make it up and including it without inventing a name - if you see something with a proper name or number designation, it's real. I know, I still mess up a lot - I'm not a world-travelling, "perfect killer" secret agent -, but I try to keep from just throwing my arms up and going "Who cares? Just make something blow up."

Which would be my next point: Blow stuff up occasionally. Make sure it's not regular (Some action heroes seem to have explosions around them ALL THE TIME) so that it gets noticed when you do. Make your characters take notice.

Also, re: characters - treat them with dignity, most of the time. Slapstick is funny when it targets dignified, smart people. Use it in moderation and you'll go far. Also, your characters are competent. They know stuff. They can do stuff. They may fail because the stakes are high, but they're not bumbling fools who are physically painful to watch. Keep the angst down, too. I often fight myself on this, but in the end, it's much more interesting to watch the characters stop moping and get to solving their problems - they have the drive, the skills and the connections to do that.

They will win the war, even if they lose the fight. Make them earn their happy end. Note that happy end doesn't always mean "Retired, settled down and rich" - it can also mean a desperate last stand, but it becomes a happy end if it matters - make it important, make it a vital fight. Nothing annoys me more than senseless deaths of main characters just to be "edgy".

So, in conclusion: You get what you pay for. Make the characters work, but don't short-change them.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:22:27 AM »

Sounds good. And on a side note. "Ah Germany, the land of my youth, and the home of my heart." heh. Was raised in Illesheim, Germany near Rottenburg. Father was U.S. Army.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:22:55 AM »

Chapter Two is here. A plot twist! (Collect all 100 for a special prize.) An aircraft I could stop myself from naming the model for! And a big damn Checkov's Gun.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:23:20 AM »

Another great job Gatac. Look forward to next chapter.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 01:23:47 AM »

Chapter 3!

Krueger sieht alles, we address base bodily needs with the requisite amount of not showing the fun parts, and there's waaaaaaaay too much gunfondling (Can you tell who Peter is modelled on?).
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:24:57 AM »

*Quickly runs off to read the third chapter*
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »

Chapter 4.

Aaaaawww.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:25:49 AM »

Originally posted by Mister Anderson

Songficcer!
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »

What can I say? I'm a very music-conscious writer.

I'm reasonably sure that this will be the one and only time I use a Chris de Burgh song, but I'm really a big softie at heart and I feel strangely drawn towards inserting some romance into the universe.

Rest assured, explosions will resume shortly...
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »

Heh. Hey you can't be a spy without some romance. If you get bored read my short story "Unseen Scars" dealing with a major part of my character. Let me know what ya think.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 01:27:36 AM »

Chapter Five.

John Done is a big softie. Don't tell him I said that.

Don't doubt for a second that Mark would've shot up the arms fair to get Gray. He's a rageoholic.

And Rowena gets her "I'm rich, biatch!" moment.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 01:28:14 AM »

Chapter Six.

Trinity does her best Swiss Miss impression. She should get together with Molly and talk about hot cocoa.

Gray continues to be a pain in the rear.

Peter makes money.

Our heroes...lose?
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 01:28:42 AM »

Chapter 7 is up.

Done considers his options.

Gray admits defeat.

Mark has a moment of healthy appreciation.

Krueger and Rowena discuss tobacco.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: