Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 07:03:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Powered by Products
| | |-+  Announcing Shooter's Guide I: Pistol-Caliber Carbines
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Announcing Shooter's Guide I: Pistol-Caliber Carbines  (Read 7753 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »

I'll just wait for the Crafty bunch to figure out what to do with the title "Riddle of Steel" I don't think you can go wrong with it.  Or I definitely had been jonesing for info on the Cx4 (my favorite gun aside from the minigun).

I was going to grip that the Cx4 Storm doesn't come in .45ACP, but it does.  Now I just can gripe that it doesn't take my 1911 magazines, but let me check.  Nope.  But my gripes are pretty minor, and it seems that with hollowpoints this is a damn fine home defense weapon.  (In .45ACP, 9mm is still junk.)

I almost think it should have a shorter barrel and a removable stock and be sold as a pistol.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

(In .45ACP, 9mm is still junk.)

This is the wrong forum to continue the eternal 9/45 debate, but I will point out a few things in defense of the 9mm:

1) I only use ball ammo for plinking; I load Federal HydraShok for any other use. I am, frankly, more concerned about the ability of the operator (me) than of the ammunition, should use of the pistol ever become necessary.
2) I get more ammunition per magazine that I would with the .45ACP.
3) I pay less per round (9mm is about 2/3 the cost of .45ACP), which theoretically translates to more practice (only in theory, alas, as time has become the limiting factor).
4) My wife, who has small hands, is often better able to manage the grip on a pistol chambered for 9mm than .45ACP (double stack mags, anyway).

You're welcome to your .45ACP, which I think is a fine chambering for any pistol caliber firearm. But don't pee in my 9mm cheerios. Tongue

Walter
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »

Quote from: MilitiaJim
I almost think it should have a shorter barrel and a removable stock and be sold as a pistol.

So that would be the Storm Rx4 you'd be after then?

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »

So that would be the Storm Rx4 you'd be after then?
No.  The Storm Rx4 is sized and sold as a rifle, and comes in .223 Remington Magnum.  Not a round I would pick to use on people.  But now we're heading into arguments revolving around gun bunny bigotries.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Tegyrius
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Agent

Somebody Else's Problem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 05:52:46 PM »

I was going to grip that the Cx4 Storm doesn't come in .45ACP, but it does.

Yep.  And figuring out how to accurately and concisely convey all the different magazine configurations in meaningful game terms was a minor headache.

Now I just can gripe that it doesn't take my 1911 magazines, but let me check.  Nope.  But my gripes are pretty minor, and it seems that with hollowpoints this is a damn fine home defense weapon.  (In .45ACP, 9mm is still junk.)

Yeah, about the only readily-available option for a 1911-compatible PCC these days is a Marlin Camp 45 (currently five of 'em on GunBroker).

This is the wrong forum to continue the eternal 9/45 debate...

Yeah, let's just not go there.  Please.

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver Writer of Fortune

And in this moment/I will not run, it is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope/Within our bloodied hands

- The Cruxshadows, Winter Born
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

No.  The Storm Rx4 is sized and sold as a rifle, and comes in .223 Remington Magnum.  Not a round I would pick to use on people.  But now we're heading into arguments revolving around gun bunny bigotries.

I actually meant to type Px4 there. There was lack of sleep involved.

VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »

I like my Px4 (Mod G) in 9MM..... its a bit easier for me to control compared to my Sig P226 (.40 S&W).

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »

Yeah, about the only readily-available option for a 1911-compatible PCC these days is a Marlin Camp 45 (currently five of 'em on GunBroker).

The Marlin Camp 45 was on the short list.

On a separate note, I just ran across two interesting (to me) bits o' fluff on the internet that are directly related to this Shooter's Guide:

1) Uppers and lowers are available in the AR-15 platform that accept .45 ACP.
2) Bushmaster makes a 5.56 NATO caliber pistol (Bushmaster Carbon-15 Pistol, 7.25 Barrel, 30rd Mag).

Walter
Tegyrius
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Agent

Somebody Else's Problem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »

The Marlin Camp 45 was on the short list.

If you wind up getting one, I want a range report.   Cool

On a separate note, I just ran across two interesting (to me) bits o' fluff on the internet that are directly related to this Shooter's Guide:

1) Uppers and lowers are available in the AR-15 platform that accept .45 ACP.
2) Bushmaster makes a 5.56 NATO caliber pistol (Bushmaster Carbon-15 Pistol, 7.25 Barrel, 30rd Mag).

Yeah, one of my playtesters made the point about the various AR configurations when he was reviewing this, but I didn't want to bog down with six different civilian AR variants.  And Keith loves the AR pistols, so I'm gonna have to do something about those - at least for Reflex, if not for SC2 - at some point in the future...

- C.

Clayton A. Oliver Writer of Fortune

And in this moment/I will not run, it is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope/Within our bloodied hands

- The Cruxshadows, Winter Born
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

If you wind up getting one, I want a range report.   Cool

If I get one, I'll supply that report. The only real concerns about the Marlin Camp 45 seem to be failure of the recoil buffer block (easily replaced, along with the recoil spring, by aftermarket parts) and the plastic trigger housing (which I have no doubt I will dissolve with the wrong cleaner or crack during use; I am painfully hard on my gear).

Yeah, one of my playtesters made the point about the various AR configurations when he was reviewing this, but I didn't want to bog down with six different civilian AR variants.

The differences between the AR-15 variants (other than chambering) just aren't significant from a game mechanic POV. Existing weapon upgrades should be able to account for most/all of the real differences between similarly chambered AR-15s. Everything else is (frighteningly rabid AR-15 fan club aside) insignificant at the level of detail SC2.0 models.

Walter
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »

Yeah, one of my playtesters made the point about the various AR configurations when he was reviewing this, but I didn't want to bog down with six different civilian AR variants.  And Keith loves the AR pistols, so I'm gonna have to do something about those - at least for Reflex, if not for SC2 - at some point in the future...

- C.

An AR pistol shouldn't be too hard, knock the range increment down to @50', and drop the average damage by a couple points, maybe to 2d6+2.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »

There should be stats for one, if not both, of the comercial 5.56 NATO pistols in the new guns thread.

Edit: Yep. Kel-Tec PLR-16 and Bushmaster Carbon 15. Don't forget the LMF quality that both 5.56mm pistols should have.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:43:40 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
smokewolf