Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 06:06:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Cybermancer (Shadowrun inspired Expert Class)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cybermancer (Shadowrun inspired Expert Class)  (Read 2537 times)
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »

I'm working my way through a campaign idea which the players thought would be fun a mash-up of Shadowrun & Stargate.

I'm trying to create a Cybermancer Expert Class and I've hit a block.

The class is very much meant to be a person which has taken so much cyberware that they are only on the brink of living and have almost been awakened to the magical energy of the world. This is heavily based on the Cybermancer from Shadowrun in the Man & Machine sourcebook.
I am also using the Cybernetics notes from J Traub.

Cybermancer
Pre-req: Upgraded, Con 13+, Wis 13+

BAB: Fast
Fort: Medium
Ref: Medium
Will:Slow
Init: Medium
Def: Slow
Wealth: Fast
Gear: Medium (GWS)

d12 HD, 4+Int Skill points
Class Skills: Athletics, Computers, Drive, Electronics, Mechanics, Medicine, Notice, Profession & Resolve

Core Ability:
Machine Driven:
Your maximum Chrome rating is set to 10 plus your Starting Action Dice.

Body of Steel At Level 1, you may add your Cybermancer Level to your Cyber Threshold.
Chromed: At Level 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 you may increase your Chrome rating by one or gain a bonus Gear Feat.
Less than Zero: As you become more machine than man, you start to lose yourself within the machine.
At Level 2 you become immune to Constituion damage and the Bleeding Quality, you gain Damage Resistance 4 versus Subdual, Stress and Contagions. Also your Cyber Threshold increases by your Cybermancer Level. Further your Vitality increases by the number of Cyber Implants you posses. Finally you gain the Burden of Ages NPC Quality and no longer heal naturally.
At Level 7 you become immune to Sickened, Stunned and Paralzyed conditions. Further your Damage Resistance versus Subdual, Stress & Contagions increases to 8. Finally, your Wounds increase by your Chrome Rating.
Magically Aware: At Level 4, you gain Spell Resistance equal to your Chrome Rating + Con Mod. Further, you become Astrally aware and able to perceive things on the Astral Plane.
More than Machine At Level 4 you gain this Feat.
Pumped At level 6 your constitution score increases by 2.
Tin Man At Level 8 your Wounds increase by your Chrome Rating.
Full Borg Conversion At Level 8 you gain this Feat.
Ghost in the Shell: At Level 10 you gain this feat. Also you no longer have a Cyber Threshold.

Any thoughts?

Changes in Red

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:55:13 PM by Medwyn » Logged
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »

Well, your table is to high, it's at 9 and should be 7 or 8.  I think Chromed needs to start at level 3 instead of 1. Right now the class gets 8 bonus feats. Start Chromed at 3 and drop the level 4, 8, and 10 bonus feats. Or remove the feats from Chromed and keep the level 4 and 8 feats. Either way Chromed is really powerful, maybe too powerful. Class skills look good. SR = Chrome+Con a bit much, it's a primary combat stat and it gets a boost at level 6, along with the core ability. Less than Zero grants to many immunities, bonuses, and resistances, 7 of them at level 2. Gaining extra wound points equal to your chrome rating at level 7 is jaw dropping.

The class is just too powerful, a common thing when making classes. Look at what you can remove from the class, look at what can be weakened (like save bonus instead of immunities).

Increased Wealth cap
5 boosts to wealth or bonus feats
Immunity to Con damage, Bleeding, Sickened, Stunned, and Paralyzed.
DR 8 Subdual, Stress, and Contagion.
Increased/Removed Cyber threshold
NPC Quality
Increase Vitality
Increase Wounds.
Spell Resistance
Astrally Aware/Astrally Preceptive
3 Feats
Con boost

Compare these abilities to what other classes get in the book. Consider how they would work side by side and you'll see that this class will have a serious edge. But all and all, I say it has a good feel.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »

I fixed the points for the table I so it is now adds to 8.

The whole point of the class is the uber about of cyberware that it has. Chrome is not that powerful, all it does is make sure that the class will have a rather high chrome stat. But it would be nice to have a different ability to put in at Level one. Any ideas on what it can be?

Less than Zero, was going to be, you gain the Undead NPC Quality, instead I broke the quality into two maybe I should remove the Vp bonus from Level 2? Burden of Ages makes healing less effective shoudl I add a bigger drawback to help balance?

For Spell Resistance I could drop the Con mod to it to help balance it out.

I'll make some changes and see what everyone thinks Smiley

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »

Just some suggested edits and clean up. I like tin man a lot, but I think it lacked a little bit of punch for an 8th level ability. The class requirements were also a little low. I'm not sure the core ability actually works in its current form unless the version of cyberware you are working with allows a Chrome higher than 10 (it's a table that stops at ten for the version I'm used to). The Spell Defense was too low to make a difference in its previous form.

Cybermancer
You thrive out past the edge where metal meets flesh.

Requirements: Con 13+, Wis 15+, Upgraded
Class Skills: Athletics, Computers, Drive, Electronics, Mechanics, Medicine, Notice, Profession, & Resolve
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier
Vitality: 1d12 + Con modifier

Core Ability
Machine Driven: Your maximum Chrome rating is set to 10 plus your Starting Action Dice.

Class Abilities
Body of Steel: At Level 1, you gain +1 Chrome. You also add your Class Level to your Cyber Threshold.
Less than Zero I: As you become more machine than man, you start to lose yourself within the machine. At Level 2, you gain Contagion, Stress, and Subdual Resistance 4. You are immune to Constitution damage and the bleeding condition. However, you gain the Burden of Ages NPC Quality
Less than Zero II: At Level 7, your Contagion, Stress, and Subdual Resistance increases to 8. You are immune to the sickened, stunned and paralyzed conditions. However, you no longer heal naturally.
Metal Diver: At Level 3, 5, 7 and 9, you gain +1 Chrome or an additional Gear Feat.
More than Machine: At Level 4 you gain the More than Machine feat.
Outside Yourself: At Level 4, you gain Spell Defense equal to your Constitution score + Chrome. Further, you gain the astral awareness NPC quality.
Rugged: At Level 6 your constitution score increases by 2.
Full Borg Conversion: At Level 8 you gain the Full Borg Conversion feat.
Tin Man: At Level 8, add you Chrome to your maximum Wounds and Vitality.
Ghost in the Shell: At Level 10 you gain the Ghost in the Shell feat and no longer have a Cyber Threshold.

BAB: Fast
Fort: Medium
Ref: Medium
Will: Slow
Init: Medium
Def: Slow
Wealth: Fast
Gear: Medium (GWS)

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »

Thanks Morg, not only did you make it look pretty but you've clearly got the flow of the class going.

Now, I have to workout my Matrix Hacker guru Smiley
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

I just dressed up the parts Smiley. I don't know the source or the specific feats well enough to know it it delivered on your premise.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:01 AM »

An answer to ramping up Chrome would be:

Machine Driven: You gain a second Chrome weath stat with a starting value of 1. Should your first Chrome stat exceed 10, then and only then you may place points in your second Chrome stat, to a value equal to your starting action dice.

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »

An answer to ramping up Chrome would be:

Machine Driven: You gain a second Chrome weath stat with a starting value of 1. Should your first Chrome stat exceed 10, then and only then you may place points in your second Chrome stat, to a value equal to your starting action dice.

That seems unneccessarily complicated. Why not just have the class core ability break the rules? Everyone else caps out at 10 Chrome, but you have learned techniques (or whatever) that allow you to push the envelope.

Walter
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »

Because Chrome generally uses the same progression as Wealth and as a weath stat is capped at 10. Making it go higherr requires you to work out a table showing the progression to level, oh let' say 20, the end result of which is the PC running around with multiple Cal V picks when -- campaign qualitie aside -- everyone else is capped at a single Cal IV item.

Far simpler and more balanced to simply say the character gets a second chrome stat to play with when the firstone fills up. It also actually gives the character something tangiable from their core ability at 1st level instead of the frankly weak "well, you now have potential to raise a score above a threshold you may be nowhere near in any event".

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »

Mr A has a very simple solution to the progression and I may just run with it.

I was just thinking of using the progression fro Possessions from Big Score.

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »

I dont know... IMHO it makes more sense to find another effect for the core ability that add something new to the system... I would find strange and confusing if one Class added an extra lifestyle, possesion or spendig cash score... it just feels ...weird...

on the other hand, the corebook says that the GC may place additional starting limits...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »

I dont know... IMHO it makes more sense to find another effect for the core ability that add something new to the system... I would find strange and confusing if one Class added an extra lifestyle, possesion or spendig cash score... it just feels ...weird...

on the other hand, the corebook says that the GC may place additional starting limits...

The class doesn't add a new Wealth Stat. You need a Feat/Origin/Game Option to have the extra Wealth Stat.

The Core Ability extends the range for the Wealth stat making it go beyond normal limits.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »

Might skip the middleman, and have the core ability give you X tier I or Y tier II pieces of cyberware OUTSIDE of Chrome. probably not a lot either (like 2). Maybe a single tier IV.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »

Might skip the middleman, and have the core ability give you X tier I or Y tier II pieces of cyberware OUTSIDE of Chrome. probably not a lot either (like 2). Maybe a single tier IV.

Machine Driven: You gain an additional 2 Cal II pieces of Cyberware. Further your Chrome stat is considered to be 2 higher for any ability using your Chrome Stat (max 12).

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »

Alternatively it could apply the Big Budget quality to your chrome stat...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: