Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 08:31:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  (Ultimates) Two Guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Ultimates) Two Guns  (Read 16308 times)
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:05:25 AM »

Ultimates is straight fiction. It sprung out of a thread on the old AEG boards where a couple of people built 20th-level characters, back with 1.0. Equinox started writing a story around it, based on the "20th level challenge" left unsolved in the Shadowforce Archer books: defeat Villain X. Then there was the sequel, Present Past, which was based on the other big challenge left unsolved: rescue Fade. (That's also where Mark came in, if you're counting.) Needless to say, we managed both, which put the Ultimates team in direct opposition to the Shop. We've firmly remained there since.

As for Mark, there's a few stories you'll need to catch up on as soon as they're back on the Wiki: first off, The Gray Wolf and Otherside, detailing Mark's recruitment and his first big mission after Present Past, respectively. Then the Assassin Trilogy (Die or Get Rich Tryin', Hitman Down Under and Rising Son), in which Mark ends up shooting his way through Russia, Australia and Japan respectively.

After that come the stories I have posted to the blogs: Childhood's End (Rowena's training with Mark), Just 'cause (Rumble in the jungle) and Two Guns, the way way flashbacked story of Mark's great love and how it all went to shit.

Frankly, my bibliography is the most involved of the Ultimates writers, simply because something is wrong with me - I have to shove one of those chapters out there roughly every week. I'm as giddy as my readers to see where it all goes. Maybe even more.

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:33 AM »

Chapter 11 is in progress. Sorry for the delay. I hope I can knock it out over the weekend.

Gatac
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »

Two thumbs up for what I've read so far.

Umbrella * Fixer * Unique

React Charisma X: After an action targets Equinox: Wound the acting agent. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 01:09:58 AM »

You're alive!

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

Chapter 11 is here. This one is titled after Sting's song "Russians".

How can I save my little boy
From Oppenheimer's deadly toy?
There is no monopoly in common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the russians love their children too

This took a bit to write, obviously. Sorry again.

Sometimes, things get bigger than you. Watch out that you don't get crushed.

There are "white" Merlot wines, but they're more rosť than really white. The standard-issue Merlot is definately red, though.

…ire is Ye Olde name for Ireland.

The PB is a modified Makarov with an integral silencer. Truly an assassin's weapon.

I have no idea if the 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 came in dark blue. Given the age of such a car in the 80s, it's obviously been repaired, refurbished and repainted, though, so who cares what it looked like when it was stock?

I'd like to reaffirm that Mark does not pick up on Nicolai's gambit just because of the wine. It's what pushes him past the point of casual mistrust into defensive mode.

Yes, cliffhangers are evil. It just seemed like the best point to break off this chapter.

Comments!

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

Chapter 12 is here, finally. Throw down with Mike and the Mechanics - it's Silent Running.

Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Dont believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command

Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?

More delays. I think we're gonna have to get used to a longer writing cycle. My bad, I'm pretty busy at the moment.

Clearly, requesting that you hand over your weapons doesn't do a bit of good when you don't actually search people. Pay heed, children: Even the best rules are useless when people refuse to play by them.

There's actually a Krav Maga move designed to deflect a pistol aimed at your head and disarm the attacker, but I kinda wrote this to point out two problems: 1) That requires someone stupid or desperate enough to have his gun right up to your head, and 2) that guy's liable to try and shoot you as soon as you flinch, particularly if he's expecting the move but still unwilling to just shoot you right there - he'll be watching for this.

Don't get shot by AKs. Or rifles, in general. Really bad idea. Then again, getting shot in general is a bad idea.

A Canadian mercenary? Yes, I'm trying to work in previous throwaway details again. (And I really hope I'm not screwing up John Done's timeline here.)

Lots of cusswords here. I tried to work in some Italian phrases for Vince. It's part of an experiment in writing, so to speak - I always feel like I can't get character voices right and tend to default to either "stuffy" or "sassy" dialogue instead. Work in progress, as always...

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

Chapter 13. I'm Rick James, bi-atch! *cough* No, not that one. The one that made actual songs. Like Mr. Policeman. Sorry, no music video for this one that I could find.

Hey Mr. Policeman
I've seen you in my neighbourhood
You look to me a do-no-good
I've seen you with a gun in your hand
Hey Mr. Policeman
I saw you shoot my good friend down
He was just havin' fun
Checkin' on a one & one

It's a shame
It's a disgrace
But every time you show your face
Somebody dies!

Guards should be where you left them. Anything else is bad.

Your body comes with the recommended amount of holes. Adding any is bad, too.

Antagonizing cops? That's bad, too.

And for God's sake, don't shoot Russians in the face. That's just dark, dark karma.

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

It's Chapter 14, ably acoustically accompanied by R.E.M. and "Losing My Religion".

Things continue to twist and turn upside down.

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, I'm
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

As if this wasn't talky enough already, I cut out a discussion between Sharon and Kyla. It might show up later, though.

This is the danger of giving people a break from the asplosions and gunfights: when they have time to concentrate, they'll start asking questions.

As previously mentioned, I hope I'm not screwing up Done's timeline here. For reference, I imagine that he's fresh on the merc trail or maybe even undercover, but I'll try not to dig too deep here. But we have nose damage to set up here, people! We endanger continuity for the sake of continuity! That's how we roll.

Done's gravely voice is an attempt to couple his abysmal Charisma with badass cred. Also, it's Deadpool-ish, which I figure is just the right thing to do where John Done is concerned.

Don't put teenagers in command. One way or another, it's gonna bite you in the ass.

Hey, whaddaya know, this Captain won't have your badge, you loose cannon, you. He's completely on your side. Which is great now, but given Sharon's doubts as to whether she's on the right side to begin with, this might be less than good when the fortunes turn once more.

It's not just a file folder - it's a mystery file folder! Ooh! *makes ominous sounds* Ahem. I'll try to get the next chapter done sooner, really.

Gatac
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:52:35 PM by Gatac » Logged
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

Chapter 15 is here. I know, so much for getting it to you sooner. I bet you were hungry. Hungry - like the Wolf.

Videos! (Yes, multiple ones.) Here's the original, here's my favorite Anime Music Video, and here's Bruce Campbell.

In touch with the ground
I'm on the hunt, I'm after you
Smell like I sound, I'm lost in a crowd
And I'm hungry like the wolf
Straddle the line, in discord and rhyme
I'm on the hunt, I'm after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf

There's a reason Sharon has so many guns, she's been picking them up at Mark's pace, but unlike him, she doesn't ditch them.

Now that we've shown that Sharon gets annoying phonecalls from work, let's never bother with that again. Screw you, realism, we're telling a story here.

Sharon and Mark don't really know each other all that well - they know who they are, but they're missing so many details. It's high time they got around to fixing that problem.

That's some pretty fancy wine there. In a pretty fancy restaurant, to boot.

Said terrible movie is Remo Williams:The Adventure Begins. Featuring Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway) as female lead! (Not that she's got a lot to do, but still.) It's actually not half bad.

They fished a corpse out of the Hudson (Whitton had the first report on his desk last time), and now the ID is in - it's Berkovitz. Yeah, I know. What the hell?

And now, with my trademark cruelty, I decree that I'm taking a break over Christmas. New adventures in the new year.

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 07:10:57 AM »

Not Two Guns-related, but the old stories are now up on the wiki. Read up on The Gray Wolf, Otherside and the Assassin Trilogy here.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »

Blogspot
LiveJournal

Happy new year! I'm certainly tired. Here's hoping for some Sweet Dreams.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

If you can think past MTV Cops, you'll recognise that being in a Vice unit is not a good way to strengthen your faith in humanity.

Not much else to say here, really. Things should explain themselves.

Oh, the usual begging for comments. I do love me some validation.

Gatac
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »

Sutibly and subtly complex, thoroughly engaging and enough cameos to keep things interesting. I'll be interested to see what leads to the lovebirds' fallout.

Umbrella * Fixer * Unique

React Charisma X: After an action targets Equinox: Wound the acting agent. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »

Speaking of stories we'd like to see...

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »

I'm not dead!

Hey guys, just wanted to give you notice that I recently moved to California for an exchange semester at San Diego State University. Still don't have Inet at the dorms, so I can't post the next chapter, but it's done and will go up as soon as I sort this out. Thanks for your patience!

Gatac
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

Glad to see you on the boards again Gatac. Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »