Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 03:23:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  (Ultimates) Two Guns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Ultimates) Two Guns  (Read 16263 times)
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:57:49 PM »

It begins here!

http://lessdramamorebullets.blogspot.com/search/label/twoguns

Named, of course, for the Paul McCartney song.

When you were young, and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did!)
But if this ever changing world in which we're livin'
Makes you give in and cry
Say live and let die!

It's a bit dialogue-heavy this time as I try to establish things. The action is somewhat grittier than previously - there's one quick move and it's all over. The consequences are much more interesting, though, and this is just the tip of the iceberg - those 6 shots are the beginning of a small avalanche that'll come down on the Big Apple soon.

My aim is not to depict a thoroughly corrupt NYPD here - what I am trying to show is a mutually beneficial arrangement you'll see in more detail as the story expands. For the moment, suffice to say that Mark doesn't run around shooting people every day - he covers his back, and he covers his employer's back. Everything's kept quiet that way.

Cocaine is the 80s drug of choice. You may be asking yourself what a Cartel does when it's apparently against the rules to deal in drugs. Again, all shall be made clear shortly.

And there's Sharon again! You all remember her from Just 'cause Chapter 17, don't you? This is where it all goes pear-shaped for her, though of course it'll take a while before it really does her in. The road to hell, though? That's this story.

(And Daddy still wants comments!)

Gatac
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13:31 PM »

Leeeeeet.
I like it, know this: I'll replicate that protocol at some later date. Very cunning Mr. Simmons, very tricksy he is.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »

Here's Chapter 2, named after The Cars - Drive.

Who's gonna tell you when
It's too late?
Who's gonna tell you things
Aren't so great?

You can't go on thinkin'
Nothing's wrong, but bye
Who's gonna drive you home
tonight?

A first glance at what Young Mark does differently than his older (and presumably wiser) counterpart: while totally having the drop on an opponent, he seriously chooses to slug it out with the guy. Ah, the folly of youth.

A Kubotan is a small stick that can be held in your hand to increase your punching power or strike at pressure points. It's a pretty nifty thing and perfectly legal to own almost anywhere, but should probably make you reevaluate your opinion of anyone with one on a keychain. Those are the kind of people who can handle themselves in a fight (or at least believe they can).

That car? Yeah, it's a compact. It's not cheap to have a good apartment in NYC proper, and it wasn't much cheaper then. On the other hand, Sharon's pretty frugal in general - she wouldn't buy a new car on a loan if she could help it. She'd rather have a (reliable) POS that she owns than some land ship that's 90% bank property and too big for any parking space you might find on the island.

The Poor Man's James Bond is a real book, or rather, series of books. The third book in particular deals with police techniques. I figure that's more useful for a cop than diagrams on how to build weapons from scratch. (Mark has that one, though. And Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independant Contractors. Not much educational value for a professional assassin, but it's good light reading.)

Yes, a suppressed .45 will still be much too loud in an apartment complex. Even the .22 might be pushing it. It's not that the walls are thin (though they are), but these things make a lot of noise even with a suppressor. In fact, that little fight probably made more than enough noise, even without anyone speaking or shouting. When you're far away, fists aren't that scary - somebody else is getting beat up. But a gunshot? That'll spook ya if you're not used to the sound. (Then again, you might not realize that sound was a suppressed gun, since they can sound pretty weird - which is the point of the suppressor. But why take chances?)

Sharon got a new Glock. The old one's being dusted for evidence (though not with very much enthusiasm), but since it's her issue weapon, checking out a new one wasn't a problem.

Comments! We want comments! (And by we I mean I. And the other voices in my head.)

Gatac
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:44:39 PM by Gatac » Logged
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:24:01 PM »

And it's Number 3 comin' at you like a brick in a sock, rocking out to Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again.

I'm taking a ride
With my best friend
I hope he never lets me down again
He knows where he's taking me
Taking me where I want to be
I'm taking a ride
With my best friend

"Brainiac - Science Abuse" has conclusively proven that strong duct tape can be used to hold a person's weight. Just not very long.

In researching the music for this chapter, I realised I missed the perfect opportunity to use "Smooth Criminal" on the last one. Oh well.

What do you get when you put two headstrong, "cool" people together? Showboating. Now that Sharon's mostly over the shock of Mark pulling some cold shit, she's right there with him, counterattacking while he tries to assert his "alpha dog" mentality. I can't imagine she's thrilled about staying at a mob safehouse, either.

Livos is a greek wind deity, for those too lazy to google it.

Can you spot the Max Payne reference?

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »

Number 4 drops like a sack of hammers. Pop in your "Licensed to Ill" CD, because we're rolling with the Beastie Boys and there'll be No Sleep Till Brooklyn.

For the record, I have smoked a grand total of 1 cigarette in my life. That said, I've seen enough people get cranky without their cigarette breaks that this doesn't seem too farfetched, especially if it's just a symptom of the larger stress issue. It's a fascinating little social dynamic...you've got your "health" alcoholics ("At least I won't get cancer!") and your "high functioning" chain smokers ("At least I can still drive!"). It's not my intention to remake Requiem for a Dream here, but if I may step on my soapbox for a second - do think about what you're putting into your body.

Alexandra is the cartel boss's daughter. Vinnie is Vincent Ratioli, previously mentioned as Mark's pal from the old days - he's been mentioned before. Just FYI.

By all accounts, JFK is terrible for trying to get sleep. Since it was hard to find period information that confirms this, I figured the current atmosphere couldn't be that far off from what came before. Poetic license, if you will.

Keep your eyes on that Beretta.

Canonisation is a bear. With his religious background, Mark knows this.

Mark doesn't smoke, but he has matches - mainly because he works with a lot of people who smoke. I used to carry a lighter for the same reason. Nothing is more frustrating than having a cigarette and no light for it. It's better for their mood and your sanity if you come prepared.

Comments!

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »

I hope you like David Bowie, because he just showed up at your table and said "Let's Dance".

If you say run, I'll run with you
And if you say hide, we'll hide
Because my love for you
Would break my heart in two
If you should fall
Into my arms
And tremble like a flower

I don't know about you, but I'm all about putting a lot of time between waking up and getting up. Ruins my day when I have to hurry.

For the record, Mark and Sharon were discussing what they could do except for sitting in the hotel and playing cards. Sharon doesn't want to waste the two weeks vacatation just because they've got a hit on her.

As many clumsy people have proven, it's surprisingly easy to go through drywall if you want to. Not pleasant, but possible.

Changua is a scallion/milk/egg breakfast soup popular around the Andes. Yes, I looked that up.

I also looked up 1st Gen cell phone numbers. Or tried to. In the end, I just gave up. It's not worth my sanity to worry about this too much...besides, the 555 is the classical "fictional" code, so I figured using that would be the only responsible option.

Comments!

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:43:32 PM »

Chapter Six is here, this time to the sounds of Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb.

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

I wonder how long it'll take Sharon to use that Glock.

The Jersey exchange is from The Godfather. Figures both would've seen that, doesn't it?

I don't know about you, but I hate snow sludge. Hate it with a passion. You ever get that feeling that it'll stop being cold if you can just draw your jacket a bit tighter? It never works.

The CZ 85 is an ambidextrous version of the CZ 75, a quite famous little pistol. I wish I could claim that there's some gunbunny-ish reason to recommend it, but the truth is that I fell in love with it when I read Gunsmith Cats. And it makes sense for Vince, who has a sort of East European flavor going on with his weapons, again underscoring the weirdness of having an Italian guy working for a South American cartel.

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »

What would the 80s be without Tears for Fears? I'm here now, excuse the delay, it wasn't my intention to keep you waiting. You shouldn't have to Shout.

I also highly recommend the Disturbed cover - Shout 2000. Loud, it is.

Interestingly, nobody really shouts in this one. Huh.

How much time does Mark think women need to grab a suitcase? It was already packed, for crying out loud. Seriously, the man has no idea. *ahem*

Again with the experience - you ever get that "I have to breathe, now!" hump when you're underwater? It's pretty amazing - when I work past that, I can hold my breath pretty much twice as long. I thought that warranted a tribute of some kind.

Unholy measures were invoked to make sure that a prototype SPAS-15 would not be anachronistic.

I like comments...I want comments...please post comments...this is not a recording...

Gatac
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »

When posting updates, a link to the update might help a little  Kiss

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

By popular request:

Blogspot Livejournal

It's Motorhead - Ace of Spades!

Pushing up the ante, I know you wanna see me,
Read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again,
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die,
The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be,
The Ace Of Spades

They don't ever die quiet, do they?

The archetypical hand grenade comes with a few seconds worth of timer. Exaggerated for effect, but none of them were cooked, so I figure it's borderline squint-hard-and-tilt-your-head semi-plausible. (And that's all I ask.)

Tap-Rack-Bang! is a nice little mnemonic on how to fix a misfire in a handgun - tap the magazine from below, rack the slide to feed the next round and then fire.

This is, in fact, the first time Mark handles a broadsword. Of course he uses it like a big knife.

I do not recommend this way to drain a swimming pool, but shotguns will fire underwater. Pretty much anything fires underwater, some guns even more than once.

It was in fact my intention to kill Silvestro in his first actual scene. More of an abstract objective than a character, but eh, there's more where that came from. Cheesy

*sings* Iiiiiiiiii want com-ments! (Dum de dum de dum, dum dum!) Iiiiiiiiii want com-ments!

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 03:26:43 PM »

Blogspot Livejournal

This chapter brings you the sounds of Genesis - Invisible Touch.

She seems to have an invisible touch, yeah!
She reaches in, and grabs right hold of your heart
She seems to have an invisible touch, yeah!
It takes control and slowly tears you apart

We'd all like to forget Saturday Night Fever, I think.

I have no idea if rice + beans with banana would actually yield an edible dish, but I challenge my readers to cook it and report back. Remember, if it's disgusting, you're doing it wrong! Smiley

Um, yeah, that last sentence also applies to what comes after that. Some people don't need to get drunk for that.

Like any decent movie, I remain solely focussed on the hyperviolence and graciously fade to black for the hot lovin' scenes. I do hope you appreciate that.

Comments!

Gatac
Synchronicity
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »

Well, I for one am reading this avidly, and have been glued to my seat for all of Mark's adventures so far. I just happen to be a congenital lurker and really bad at making posts. So just pretend I commented on this and every single update prior with effervescent praise, k?  Wink

I don't have any more useful comments, I'm afraid. I mostly just keep going 'wow!' and 'I wish you could do that in Max Payne...' - which, incidentally, reading about Mark's activities always makes me want to go and play.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 02:10:54 AM »

Thanks. Max Payne happens to be one of my favorites, too. Smiley

Gatac
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »

Blogspot
Livejournal

Chapter Ten, to the tune of the love song experts at Foreigner.

I've been waiting for a girl like you to come into my life
I've been waiting for a girl like you, your loving will survive
I've been waiting for someone new to make me feel alive
Yeah, waiting for a girl like you to come into my life

Yeah, sure, they make a big soapy mess *now*. They don't have to clean that up later. I don't know whether hijacking a new boat for every tryst is economical, though.

The whole "Meet, go on a date, get to know each other, have sex" progression has been totally short-circuited. Then again, when did we ever care for speed limits?

I thought about "I want to know what love is" as the song for this one, because I personally like it better, but it doesn't fit as well. Maybe I can use it another time. (Note to aspiring authors: When you're weighing the benefits of different Foreigner songs in your head, GET OUT.)

Oh, you wacky non-Manhattan-ites and your stoic straight man-ness! I don't know if it's Comedy Gold. Maybe Comedy Nickel.

Life is a rollercoaster, but let's not go there quite yet. (Wrong millenium, anyway.)

Gatac
Minion
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »

So I just got through reading all the Two Guns stuff. Found it a damned entertaining read, cheers Gatac!

I'm not particularly au fait with the Ultimates, so can I ask a few questions? Apologies if I ask something that's answered in the wiki. Are they actual player characters? I assume Two Guns is fiction, not an actual play report (if it's an actual play report, then I am in awe of the players! Two Guns 1 would be the greatest opening session ever if they were actually players!). I have a really hazy recollection of a 'design mega-characters' thread on the old AEG Spycraft boards -- is that in any way related to this?

I can see I've got a lot of back-reading to do! Any advice? Start from the start?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: