Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 03:29:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Dueling canes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dueling canes  (Read 10734 times)
Horsepool
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 06:45:04 AM »

...and Feruchemists (you'll see more of them later) rely on metal that's worn. So no holding a sword and using it as a steelmind, say.

Really?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

As for the dueling canes, since they are used mostly by nobility I'd assume various fancy designs and jewels would be carved into the wood.  The fancier the cane, the more you'd impress.
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:12 PM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

As for the duelling canes, since they are used mostly by nobility I'd assume various fancy designs and jewels would be carved into the wood.  The fancier the cane, the more you'd impress.

Heck yes!

This here cane was made from a Koloss leg... let me tell you that story...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As an aside, google "the cane as a weapon pdf"

Interesting manual from early 1900/10s on self defence.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:12:16 PM by Gargoyle » Logged
Leonerd
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »

I even added a duel club to my game, where young noblemen can learn how to duel and have championships, titles, etc. It's a sport. Also, when a (usually young) nobleman feels insulted, he will grab his cane and say something pompous like "I demand an apology!" or "Should we settle this like gentlemen?". My take on duelling canes is that originally, nobles would carry around swords and duel over every little insult and to put a stop on this, canes became the fashion. Nowadays, they're just used to impress others.
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »

Well, yes. That seems to have been the case in renaissance Europe, too. As Elend would say, I've never actually fought a duel, but I've certainly read books on historical swords and how one would use and wear them. The term swashbuckler originally came from a way of walking known as swashing such that your sword banged against your buckler. A certain brand of rogues would do this to call attention to themselves and to try to get into fights with others of similar nature and fashion. Also, I learned that it is rather tricky to bow with a sword.
As to canes being the fashion, I was just rereading the Well of Ascension at the Assembly meeting where Elend shows up in uniform and, as his fellow Assemblymen noted, a deuling cane as a possibly militant fashion statement.

Hypothetical thought: say a young, relatively unimportant noble, ended up lord of his house after the unforeseen... removal of his father and older siblings. He's now the heir, but all he really knows about is duelling (hazekiller being an honourable occupation for non-heir sons.) Would he be seen as able to defend his honour, or just a little too... (trigger? stick?) happy?

Also, I like the dueling club idea. Were opening a branch in Urteau City. Right now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:28:14 PM by Gargoyle » Logged
Leonerd
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 06:29:14 AM »

I don't think anybody would really care about his prowess with a duelling cane. Most of the conflicts he'd face now would be related to the family business, and you can't solve these by duelling. He could try (he WOULD try if he was a PC), but the only result there would be that his enemies wouldn't take him seriously.

"Well, see here, my boy, we can't possibly pay the agreed price. See, there were certain factors we didn't know of when we signed the contract with your late father, and..."
"Okay, so how about we settle this by duelling?"

"We will have to charge you an additional fee as per 65b of our contract."
"Ooooooor we could have a duel."

"Son, you really need to stop challenging every business partner to a duel."
"Interesting idea. Let's have a duel to decide this!"
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »

See, that's just negotiating from insufficient strength. Kidnaping a rival, unbagging their head in a discrete unused warehouse and letting them think they might get out of this relatively unscathed if they just best you in a duel, and then beating the living shit out of them before dumping them in an alley and sending your revised terms round by courier later that day... THAT might be a tactic that very much commands respect.

I always had the impression the noble houses worked more like organized crime families than even the crews do. Keeping both minions and rivals in line by masterful use of personal violence seems like a totally workable premise for a character that's not comedic at all...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

See, that's just negotiating from insufficient strength

Negotiations with a lightsaber.

Very traditional.
Kadrok
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »

I always had the impression the noble houses worked more like organized crime families than even the crews do...
THAT... is a really good analogy.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

I don't see how it could be any other way... The Final Empire doesn't operate on the Rule of Law. It runs on naked power and the whims of those who have more of it than you do. And with everyone of any significance having so many enemies (it's almost the defining feature of being important...) a well-executed murder or three is hardly gong to trail back to just one likely candidate for revenge.

If a noble house gets shanked, either by a crew or another house, who are they going to appeal to? Nightmares with nails driven through their eyes? Petition the Lord ruler, who will more likely than not laugh, strip you of your name, and reassign your attium shipments to someone who isn't a fool?

I suspect they are polite exactly as long as they are polite. And after that, they aren't polite at all in their dealings with each other. The concepts of made men and not mauling non-combatant family probably holds sway most of the time. But if you're going to exterminate a line in toto, who is there to care about the condition of the bodies you were going to hide anyway?

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Kurkistan_
Jr. Agent

Catquisitor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

I think we may not be giving the rule of law enough credit here. Recall that the entire story we've seen is from the perspective of heavily oppressed and considered-subhuman skaa. Of course they don't have any rights or protections.  Wink

Even the violence of the House war is something TLR is noted to be allowing on a whim as an exception to the rule rather than the norm. While I've no doubt that things a bit more... flexible all of the time than we'd consider normal, I don't think it best to treat the Final Empire as the Wild West, at least so far as nobles are concerned.
Leonerd
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »

(This one's speculation/my game only)

There are definitely rules in place, like "Don't use allomancers to attack other houses.". It's just that they're enforced in a different way than what we're familiar with. Sure, your house can attack and completely destroy another house, but if it becomes public, their allies would fight back, your own allies would be pressured to leave you and your trade would suffer greatly. Essentially it's a self-regulating system, with the complex structure of alliances keeping all the houses in line. Think UNO but actually effective Less Wild West, more Machiavelli.
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

There are definitely rules in place, like "Don't use allomancers to attack other houses.". It's just that they're enforced in a different way than what we're familiar with.
Yep. Enforcement is a good word for the lack thereof.
Sure, your house can attack and completely destroy another house, but if it becomes public, their allies would fight back, your own allies would be pressured to leave you and your trade would suffer greatly. Essentially it's a self-regulating system, with the complex structure of alliances keeping all the houses in line.
Adding an espionage/intelligence aspect to the fighting/assassination, reputation bashing, and economic warfare. Keep everyone else in the dark until it is too late for them to help.
Sounds like a player challenge...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: