Author Topic: Dueling canes  (Read 14022 times)

SnowDog

• Agent
    • View Profile
Dueling canes
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »
Hi,

Now I have had time to read to about page 200 in Mistborn and there is one thing bothering me that might get an answer here. I don't want any spoilers so I don't ask about rest of the stuff but what the heck are dueling canes? Are they some sort of quarter staffs or clubs? Or are they described in more detail later on in the book?

Thanks in advance!
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
Re: Dueling canes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
It's a stick used like a sword.

Based on how it's used in fighting and in noble attire, it's probably a canne (it's French, not a typo) or a singlestick (think a cane with a leather and wicker basket hilt).

Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
It's basically like a cane you would use for walking, except made out of hardwood and used to bash people. So, yeah, kinda like a club, but more refined.
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

SnowDog

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:55:35 PM »
Okay, thanks for the replies! I think I got it now.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »
If you wanted to be nasty, you could add some obsidian flakes along an edge and paint it black.   ;D
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »
If you wanted to be nasty, you could add some obsidian flakes along an edge and paint it black.   ;D

Or hollow the end and load it with a granite plug.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery

Rhishisikk

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »
Nah, I like Garret's head-knocker from Glen Cook's series.  Drill the core out, fill it with lead.  You're really whacking them with what amounts to a lead pipe covered in wood.

Oh, which brings up nastier ideas.  Mistborn powers involve burning or ingesting metals (unclear on specifics)?  What keeps people from having walking staves, jewelry, breastplates, rings, etc. made from the useful metals?  You'd start missions out looking like Mr. T and end up looking like a walking bruise with one or two metal trinkets left.

Or should I just shut up until I read the novels?
Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:33 PM »
Nah, I like Garret's head-knocker from Glen Cook's series.  Drill the core out, fill it with lead.  You're really whacking them with what amounts to a lead pipe covered in wood.

Oh, which brings up nastier ideas.  Mistborn powers involve burning or ingesting metals (unclear on specifics)?  What keeps people from having walking staves, jewelry, breastplates, rings, etc. made from the useful metals?  You'd start missions out looking like Mr. T and end up looking like a walking bruise with one or two metal trinkets left.

Or should I just shut up until I read the novels?

Filling it with lead defeats the purpose as a Hematurgist (with the right spike), or Allomancer can Push or Pull it. As for the Mr T look, all of that can be pulled or pushed on, and it's hard to swallow. Allomancers ingest metals as powders suspended in alcohol. Metal that isn't piercing or embedded in your flesh can be Pushed or Pulled. Stuff that is embedded in you can't, but can have it's own problems. An allomancer can only use metals in their stomach, however.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
...and Feruchemists (you'll see more of them later) rely on metal that's worn. So no holding a sword and using it as a steelmind, say.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
...and Feruchemists (you'll see more of them later) rely on metal that's worn. So no holding a sword and using it as a steelmind, say.

Really?

Spoiler: show
But isn't that what Sazed did in the Homeland prison? Well, a lock and the bars of his cell, but the principle's the same. Heck, it's not really different then the Lord Ruler's trick or Sazed using the rings stuck in his stomach, and I seem to remember either Sazed or Tindwyl using a metalmind they had swallowed. The books imply that touching a large enough and pure enough piece of metal is sufficient for Feruchemistry.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »

Really?

But isn't that what Sazed did in the Homeland prison? Well, a lock and the bars of his cell, but the principle's the same. Heck, it's not really different then the Lord Ruler's trick or Sazed using the rings stuck in his stomach, and I seem to remember either Sazed or Tindwyl using a metalmind they had swallowed. The books imply that touching a large enough and pure enough piece of metal is sufficient for Feruchemistry.

I would say that access to a trick like that - to use metal that's touched rather than worn, is definately a feat-like/advantage-like ability not in the basic Feruchemist package. Sazed is a pretty adept Feruchemist, after all. Stuff in the stomach is just as close or closer to you than the stuff that's worn, so it's the same to me (speaking purely from a game designer's stance).
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »
I just wanted to add that if you look up escrima here on Earth, you'll see some damn scary "cane" fightin'.

*Whack* Broken guard
*Whack* Broken arm
*Whack* Broken skull

Elapsed time? 1.1 seconds.
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
It's basically like a cane you would use for walking, except made out of hardwood and used to bash people. So, yeah, kinda like a club, but more refined.
That's pretty much it. Canne dueling  had emmerged in France when nobles were not allowed to carry a sword anymore.
Since then it evolved into a codified sport. Of course it could be very different in a fantasy setting but nowadays here's how it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTeAaSG_i8

Gentry

• Control
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:26 AM »
I just wanted to add that if you look up escrima here on Earth, you'll see some damn scary "cane" fightin'.

I thought the same thing at around the second or third time the canes showed up in the novel:  "Oh, it must be like an escrima stick.  Those are wicked." 
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

Allan53

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Really?

I would say that access to a trick like that - to use metal that's touched rather than worn, is definately a feat-like/advantage-like ability not in the basic Feruchemist package. Sazed is a pretty adept Feruchemist, after all. Stuff in the stomach is just as close or closer to you than the stuff that's worn, so it's the same to me (speaking purely from a game designer's stance).

I'm pretty sure at some point the Lord Ruler outright banned Terrismen from touching any metal at all, for fear they would use it as a metalmind. It was only gotten rid of because it was impractical.