Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 11:04:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Dueling canes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dueling canes  (Read 10856 times)
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

Hi,

Now I have had time to read to about page 200 in Mistborn and there is one thing bothering me that might get an answer here. I don't want any spoilers so I don't ask about rest of the stuff but what the heck are dueling canes? Are they some sort of quarter staffs or clubs? Or are they described in more detail later on in the book?

Thanks in advance!

"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

It's a stick used like a sword.

Based on how it's used in fighting and in noble attire, it's probably a canne (it's French, not a typo) or a singlestick (think a cane with a leather and wicker basket hilt).

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »

It's basically like a cane you would use for walking, except made out of hardwood and used to bash people. So, yeah, kinda like a club, but more refined.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »

Okay, thanks for the replies! I think I got it now.

"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »

If you wanted to be nasty, you could add some obsidian flakes along an edge and paint it black.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:44 AM »

If you wanted to be nasty, you could add some obsidian flakes along an edge and paint it black.   Grin

Or hollow the end and load it with a granite plug.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »

Nah, I like Garret's head-knocker from Glen Cook's series.  Drill the core out, fill it with lead.  You're really whacking them with what amounts to a lead pipe covered in wood.

Oh, which brings up nastier ideas.  Mistborn powers involve burning or ingesting metals (unclear on specifics)?  What keeps people from having walking staves, jewelry, breastplates, rings, etc. made from the useful metals?  You'd start missions out looking like Mr. T and end up looking like a walking bruise with one or two metal trinkets left.

Or should I just shut up until I read the novels?

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »

Nah, I like Garret's head-knocker from Glen Cook's series.  Drill the core out, fill it with lead.  You're really whacking them with what amounts to a lead pipe covered in wood.

Oh, which brings up nastier ideas.  Mistborn powers involve burning or ingesting metals (unclear on specifics)?  What keeps people from having walking staves, jewelry, breastplates, rings, etc. made from the useful metals?  You'd start missions out looking like Mr. T and end up looking like a walking bruise with one or two metal trinkets left.

Or should I just shut up until I read the novels?

Filling it with lead defeats the purpose as a Hematurgist (with the right spike), or Allomancer can Push or Pull it. As for the Mr T look, all of that can be pulled or pushed on, and it's hard to swallow. Allomancers ingest metals as powders suspended in alcohol. Metal that isn't piercing or embedded in your flesh can be Pushed or Pulled. Stuff that is embedded in you can't, but can have it's own problems. An allomancer can only use metals in their stomach, however.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »

...and Feruchemists (you'll see more of them later) rely on metal that's worn. So no holding a sword and using it as a steelmind, say.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »

...and Feruchemists (you'll see more of them later) rely on metal that's worn. So no holding a sword and using it as a steelmind, say.

Really?

(click to show/hide)

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »

Really?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »

I just wanted to add that if you look up escrima here on Earth, you'll see some damn scary "cane" fightin'.

*Whack* Broken guard
*Whack* Broken arm
*Whack* Broken skull

Elapsed time? 1.1 seconds.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:41:18 AM »

It's basically like a cane you would use for walking, except made out of hardwood and used to bash people. So, yeah, kinda like a club, but more refined.
That's pretty much it. Canne dueling  had emmerged in France when nobles were not allowed to carry a sword anymore.
Since then it evolved into a codified sport. Of course it could be very different in a fantasy setting but nowadays here's how it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTeAaSG_i8
Gentry