Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 09:05:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  London gang names
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: London gang names  (Read 9676 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »

http://irdial.com/blogdial/?p=806

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »

Pink Ladies/Chicks [militant LGBTs?]
United Griffin Squad [Harry Potter hooligans?]
Younger Dark Side Ninjas [8 yr olds in pyjamas?]

Either the London authorities have a much more inclusive definition of "gang," London gangs have quite a bit more fun with their names than their American counterparts, or... um... I can't think of a third option. Tongue

Walter
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

Third option: gangs are smaller and more local than what the term has come to mean in the U.S. . Also less organised, but more prone to minor skirmishes - closer to the gangs of the 1950 in the larger U.S. cities, or what tend to be called posses these days.

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:33:42 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »

*Puts on underworld academic hat...backwards, yo*

Grump's got the gist. It appears that in London, gangs are small and have no "umbrella" - they're coming off of a few blocks in a region for their turf. In the US, we think of gangs as Crips or Bloods or the Mafia - but all those gangs are divvied up into "sets" which are basically identical to what we see in the London Gang List. So, while we may think Los Angeles has Asian, Sureno, Crips and Bloods as their main gangs, they're actually hundreds of individual gangs that are affiliated with one umbrella or another.

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »

Yeah... but those names! Tongue

Walter
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »

Walter

It's not like they're any weirder then the Sharks or the Jets.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »

Walter

It's not like they're any weirder then the Sharks or the Jets.

Or the T-Birds or the Pink Ladies.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »

You think those are bad? We have a big gang problem in Birmingham. Gangs here split up by postal code. We have:

Burger Bar Boys: Subdivisions of the Burgers include the Handsworth Town Crooks, the Blood Brothers, Real Man Dem, the Ghetto Hustla Boys and the Raleigh Close Crew. These gangs wear red bandanas or a red t-shirt or jacket. Another group, the Small Heath Mans (sic), wear the same things but in purple. One of the larger and more notorious subdivisions of the Burger Bar Boys is Birmingham's Most Wanted (BMW), who wear green bandanas and t-shirts. This gang has been responsible for many power struggles within the Burger Bar Boys, and some members have been known to have defected to their biggest rivals, the Johnson Crew.

B21 Bang Bang: Associates of the Burgers, they are rivals of the Slash Crew. I teach a lot of these little bastards. A lot of kids claim membership or affliliation when they have nothing to do with them and get regular kickings as a result.

Johnson Crew: The Johnson Crew originated in the Lozells district of Birmingham in the 80s. The gang members are very close-knit, often having lived on the same street for years and attended the same school. The Johnnies control most of the city's drug supply and are notorious in nightclub security. They make tens of thousands of pounds a week. Disagreements over how to spend this money led to some members leaving to set up  the Burger Bar Boys.

Slash Crew: Affliliates of the Johnsons, these are baby gangsters that are up and coming. A lot of these kids give hassle to the kids i teach and most of them carry knives.

The Chosen Ones: Our local gang near where i live. They mostly hang around outside shops and intimidate passers by, but a lot are into burglary.

These are just examples. The districts of Aston and Lozells are practically at war with weekly drive-by shootings. I had a kid take time off school recently with a skull fracture. Someone took a cricket bat to his head for getting off the bus one stop too early by mistake.

There are a lot of Muslim and Sikh gangs around Birmingham too, and they tend to clash with the above named gangs. The older gangs formed as protection against the National Front and various other skinhead groups and seem to have just started robbing folks somewhere along the way. Birmingham is prone to rioting as a result. Our level of football violence is also through the roof.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:49:10 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
newguide
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »

I like how there are so many gangs listed for N15 and N17. It really tells its own story about how incredibly **** my area is..

I know that Broadwater farm is a nasty place to go for a walk, which I guess will be Farm boys in N17. Only been to that estate once, to try and help find my friends stolen motorbike. Had 4 people show me their guns that night while we were walking about, for no reason whatsoever. When we found the bike next to a thousand doughnut rings on the estates park the police actually refused to come and tow the bike away. They finally agreed to turn up at 5am (9 hours after our first phonecall) and as soon as they got there some idiots started setting off rocket fireworks at their car and they just sped off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:07:59 AM by newguide » Logged

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:08:30 AM »

Blast from the past:

1712: a £100 bounty is announced for members of
London street gangs including the Mohocks. The gang
problem abates but never quite vanishes.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
UGS
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »

Hey I was the founder of UGS!!

It was not called United Griffin Squad lol, why would anyone call a gang that.

It was called United Graffin Squad, as one of it's main focuses was graffiti.

I worked so hard to get my gang noticed and when it finally did they spelt it wrong and made it a laughing stock Sad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: