Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 10:23:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 7027 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »

Hey.. YOU took off with the chopper to woo that.. that.. I dunno.. where was she from?  American Samoa?.. somewhere... that Rocket Scientist who was also a biologist!  I had to extract SOMEHOW!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 23, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »

And she was lovely.

Beautiful, athletic, acrobatic, kind hearted, intelligent with four PhDs, an expert in seven martial arts, and capable of kicking all of our asses together or separately.

Someone had to keep her occupied.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

34 States could be disqualified from ACA Tax Credits... FCC is set to make Internet a Title 2 Utility.  Power/Rangers went Rated R.  And it's only Wednesday!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »

I'll try harder.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: February 25, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

34 States could be disqualified from ACA Tax Credits... FCC is set to make Internet a Title 2 Utility.  Power/Rangers went Rated R.  And it's only Wednesday!
The Feds may follow the law as written and indended...  There goes innovation.  My daughter sounds like she may actually be a pterodactyl.  Where is the weekend?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 25, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »

The Feds may follow the law as written and indended...  There goes innovation.  My daughter sounds like she may actually be a pterodactyl.  Where is the weekend?

Oh man. My condolences.  My daughter just got over sounding like a Dilophosaurus last weekend.  Dear god was that a long weekend.... that I happily broke up by having to work. lol.  (Thank god my wife loves me and my salary pays most of the mortgage...)

Devil's advocate.  We have Comcast, TWC, Charter and Cox communications leading the way for ISPs.  I'm not sure we were getting much innovation to begin with.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »

FCC is set to make Internet a Title 2 Utility.
The Feds may follow the law as written and indended...  There goes innovation.

Sarcasm, Militia Jim?
If not, what's your thinking?

Devil's advocate.  We have Comcast, TWC, Charter and Cox communications leading the way for ISPs.  I'm not sure we were getting much innovation to begin with.
Indeed.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »

Sarcasm, Militia Jim?
Indeed.
Remember all the innovation AT&T put into telephony between 1930 and 1980?  I'm generally on board with the idea of ISPs being common carriers, but I don't trust the politicians pushing hardest for Net Neutrality to run a hot dog cart, nevermind craft legislation that will preserve the best parts of the current internet while allowing innovation going forward.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »

The only thing Comcast was interested in innovating was how to get more money for less service.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 26, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »

Sarcasm, Militia Jim?
Indeed.
Remember all the innovation AT&T put into telephony between 1930 and 1980?  I'm generally on board with the idea of ISPs being common carriers, but I don't trust the politicians pushing hardest for Net Neutrality to run a hot dog cart, nevermind craft legislation that will preserve the best parts of the current internet while allowing innovation going forward.

Yep. There was a metric ton of it and general advancement of science and technology because of AT&T having to dump billions of dollars into Bell Labs every year to keep their profits down.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »

The same company that bitterly fought the answering machine.  No thank you.  That was a very poor trade for giving them a monopoly.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »

Transistors, microchips, Unix, C, digital photography...

Basically the entire modern world can be traced back to Bell Labs.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2015, 10:38:01 PM »

Transistors, microchips, Unix, C, digital photography...

Basically the entire modern world can be traced back to Bell Labs.
And that happened because of a competition/innovation stifling national monopoly?  I've heard taller tails.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2015, 10:43:20 PM »

It happened because AT&T used Bell Labs as a profit hole. They threw tons of money at basic research and pure science because otherwise they'd be in violation of their agreements. Granted, they could have just reduced their rates (which weren't the real issue) and stopped renting phones to people (which is where most of the money came from) but to say that AT&T stifled innovation because you couldn't connect things directly to their wires until the 1960s is flat out wrong.

Plus, AT&T's status as a natural monopoly had nothing to do with the FCC and Title II and everything to do with Kingsbury Commitment which predated the FCC by two decades.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:49:36 PM by Krensky » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: