Author Topic: Help request(s):  (Read 2017 times)

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
Help request(s):
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
To inaugurate: I'm planning a clean Windows 7-64 install.

I'm going to format the drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

Aside from making a list of what I will need to retrieve (Steam, Chrome, etc) and d/l again as well as using my external drive to back everything important up is there any task or tool or just general thing worth remembering that the assembled Agents would recommend?

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Help request(s):
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »
To inaugurate: I'm planning a clean Windows 7-64 install.

I'm going to format the drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

Aside from making a list of what I will need to retrieve (Steam, Chrome, etc) and d/l again as well as using my external drive to back everything important up is there any task or tool or just general thing worth remembering that the assembled Agents would recommend?

Having just gone through a similar experience recently that didn't go to smoothly I have to ask a question: Does this reinstall involve ANY sort of hardware changes/updates? If so, check for any possible compatibility issues now. I know that seems obvious but, as I found out, a motherboard that is advertised to support 32 gigs of ram may not actually be able to do that in certain configurations.

Next, put every possible driver you would need on a thumb drive or other external storage. Windows can't retrieve proper drivers without the internet and sometimes generic drivers may not work so you'll want these prepared in advance.

Motherboard chipset drivers
ethernet controller drivers
on board audio drivers (if you are using it)
Graphics card drivers
Sound card drivers (if you use one)
And be prepared for a long haul of Windows updates.
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »
Did you say 7?

Is this an update from XP, preperation for a 10 update, or are you just blowing it away on principle?
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:40 PM »
Did you say 7?

Is this an update from XP, preparation for a 10 update, or are you just blowing it away on principle?

Ah, details indeed.

I've already upgraded to 10, but I've got system disks for 7 so I am assuming I'll have to reinstall 7 just to have an OS with which to upgrade to 10.

Thanks Illithar -that's all solid advice. I've got my hardware and such already worked out -nothing's going to change- but I'll double check device and mobo drivers. And yeah I'm already assuming this'll take literal days to totally finish.

Also, 32 gigs of ram makes me feel ooooooooooooold. :P ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:28:04 PM by Valentina »

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
As soon as you've finished the install, capture a disk image

Wolverine

• Control
  • I want to smoke a fairy
    • View Profile
    • Geek-Life Balance (my personal blog)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
You don't have to install Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10, you can install it straight off a USB stick.

Search for the 'media creation tool' on Microsoft.com.
"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
If you upgraded a 7 install to 10, you can do a clean install on that machine with 10 as long as you completed the installation and registration.

Also, at the risk of sounding like Bill Gates, 32Gb of RAM is more than any destop or gaming rig really needs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:06:23 AM by Krensky »
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »
Also, at the risk of sounding like Bill Gates, 32Gb of RAM is more than any destop or gaming rig really needs.

Indeed. However, I got a deal and though 'Eh, why not?'. And that decision blew up in my face! Yay!

Running 16Gb now, which is still more than I really need.
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

Gatac

• Handler
  • The power of Stark compels you!
    • View Profile
    • Robert's Place
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
Also, use ninite.com, which allows you to create an installer for a wide selection of freely available software that will silently download and install the stuff you want. Saves a ton of time and fiddling.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
Alrighty, necromancy time.

So I upgraded to Win10-64 from 7 and it has a new funny quirk: it randomly disconnects the D drive.

It'll remember that there is a D drive, but won't be able to connect. The solution is usually a shutdown and cool off period.

I have noticed the drive becomes tangibly warmer around that time, but this wasn't a Win7 problem.