Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2015, 01:59:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Idiot Box 2015: TV news, views & reviews
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Idiot Box 2015: TV news, views & reviews  (Read 1106 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »

I'm puzzled why they chose to make the Agent Carter one-shot the end point rather than the prelude, especially given how the two people who founded SHIELD spend this series being accused (and actually guilty) of treason

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »

Still digging down into Person of Interest. Oddly, I had apparently seen the first 6 episodes before and they were just as meandering as I remembered. Episode 8 was fun as the Elias thread finally started to pay off and I just finished ep. 11, which is where the meta-plot finally looks like its going to get rolling.

So far I am reasonably satisfied with the explanations for why the machine's owners seem so oblivious to its operation. I'd buy that for a dollar, too Wink.

I do wonder what the machine does when it spots a terrorist threat posed by someone who doesn't have an American SSN, since that is seemingly all it outputs even on its formal channels.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »

Either it spits out the SSN of high probability victims or some other numeric identifier that because it doesn't match the pattern inspires people to pattern match other number sources?

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

Has everyone else been watching Agent Carter? It's amazing, go watch it.

+1+1+1

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »

+1+1+1

I read that and heard 3 "1-Up" effects. Grin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:20:06 PM by Valentina » Logged

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »

Finally caught up on it today.  Excellent so far.

I'm puzzled why they chose to make the Agent Carter one-shot the end point rather than the prelude, especially given how the two people who founded SHIELD spend this series being accused (and actually guilty) of treason

Drama?

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »

Because tey didn't know that they were going to be able to make the agent Carter series? That's like asking why Lucas started with the middle trilogy.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:29 AM »

Also, the one-shot ended with Peggy joining Stark when he founds S.H.I.E.L.D. While that would be an interesting story to tell, they kinda covered that with Winter Soldier. Setting it where they have allows them to tell a whole new story (Leviathan), while allowing them to bring back characters from the movies (Howling Commandos) as special guests.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2015, 03:23:23 AM »

Also, the one-shot ended with Peggy joining Stark when he founds S.H.I.E.L.D. While that would be an interesting story to tell, they kinda covered that with Winter Soldier. Setting it where they have allows them to tell a whole new story (Leviathan), while allowing them to bring back characters from the movies (Howling Commandos) as special guests.

All Winter Soldier told us was that Hydra snuck in the back door thanks to Project Paperclip recruiting their scientists (though I also seem to recall that they said the SSR morphed directly into SHIELD rather than being surplanted by it). The series could have easily seen a nascent SHIELD trying to remain ideologically pure but being forced to turn to ex-Hydra brains such as Zola as a result of the struggle with Leviathan.

While it's been fun enough, all Agent Carter has done is bring into question the competence of anyone who would let actual-traitor Carter continue to work for the SSR let alone allow her and former fugitive-from-justice Stark to found an intelligence agency in the first place.

If they'd truly been incapable of seeing any story set post-One Shot and desperately needed Peggy to be working against orders and her collegues, they could have stuck her into play as an undercover internal affairs agent working to uncover a traitor that leads them to Leviathan.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:06 AM »

Picked up and started in on Person of Interest season 2. Much better now that the seasonal plot is rolling.

Sometimes I think that show only exists to tell me that I'm a monster.

(click to show/hide)

And while I'm all for using a firearm seized from the enemy, I'm also all for checking that it's loaded/how much ammo is in it. Just saying.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 01:29:18 AM »

So I cleared some stuff off my DVR (new stuff).

From Disney, I caught the preview of Star vs The Forces of Evil. It defies easy summation. Part Sailor Moon, part Ren and Stimpy, part Disney. Irresponsible, hyperactive naive princess is given the macguffin magic wand and then sent to earth for training after she burns her kingdom down. Moves in with the 'safe kid', who knows karate, creates puppies with laser beam eyes and then fights off the evil in verlord and his minions. Weird but fun.

CBS has apparently decided to go old school to replace Two and Half Men with a new production of The Odd Couple (so they're basically dropping the kid) with Matt Perry and Thomas Lennon. Its well put together, Oscar's a sports radio host this time around, Felix has to suffer the expected "He's not gay" jokes and it feels like the writers are giving the Pigeon sisters a stronger presence. Still, just the pilot so there's plenty of room for it to implode.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »

If you are not watching Star Wars Rebels, go and watch.  It just go real with the season finale.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »

And while I'm all for using a firearm seized from the enemy, I'm also all for checking that it's loaded/how much ammo is in it. Just saying.

It is ridiculous how often we're given stories in which people do not do this.

Especially the "prove your loyalty by shooting your friend" routine where the character being tested is surprised their plot-twist reveal has been ruined. "Don't point a loaded gun at something you don't intend to shoot" has a corollary of "Don't point a gun at something you intend to shoot until you're sure it's loaded".

If you are not watching Star Wars Rebels, go and watch.  It just go real with the season finale.

(click to show/hide)

I think my main problem with Rebels compared to TCW is that the latter employs a more traditional narrative logic. Rebels OTOH has all the logic of the average RPG session. While the baddies in both series clearly have two wildly different levels of competence -- mooks and specials -- in TCW the good guys had mooks as well so the discrepency wasn't so painfully obvious.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:48:19 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: