Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2015, 07:50:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 8448 times)
bits
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

I'm afraid I was very disappointed in the elections results as well.  Particularly after just having listened to an economics podcast covering one professor's analysis of a very large compiled database of suicide attacks.  His analysis is that the root cause (not sole cause) of such attacks is due to occupation rather than Islamic fundamentalism.

And now here's Netanyahu stating it's going to be permanent with even less hope (is that possible??) than before.

I'm not sure how well the analysis works for Boko Haram given the little I know about them, but the other examples I found compelling.

Analog dos mirabus spirae cuttar, nimbus hypnosticos lazzum bid-dar!
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 25, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

Gen Con to Indianapolis: "we're Good aligned and SB101 is a problem."

A 50-million-dollar-in-taxes-problem! Shocked

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: March 25, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »

A 50-million-dollar-in-taxes-problem! Shocked
$50 million in business, so probably not more than $6 in direct revenue to Indianapolis and Indiana.  Still not good for the biggest recurring convention to pick up stakes like that.

I'm afraid I was very disappointed in the elections results as well.  Particularly after just having listened to an economics podcast covering one professor's analysis of a very large compiled database of suicide attacks.  His analysis is that the root cause (not sole cause) of such attacks is due to occupation rather than Islamic fundamentalism.

And now here's Netanyahu stating it's going to be permanent with even less hope (is that possible??) than before.

I'm not sure how well the analysis works for Boko Haram given the little I know about them, but the other examples I found compelling.
If the Palestinians are railing against corruption, they are marching merrily in the wrong direction.

Boko haram is also "battling corruption," and like all other Islamist groups they are a cure worse than the disease.

The TL;DR of "Islamic terror" is that ever few generations there comes a movement to replace the local government; tyrant, conquering empire, corrupt democracy, with "good Muslims" who won't be so corrupt.  It generally includes a call to return to "Mohammed's values," which is what ISIS is trying.  The Iranians have been trying out a version for thirty years.  None of them work.  Iran's mullahs are as corrupt as the followers of Khadaffi or the elected plunderers of Nigeria.  No one is quite ready to have another bloody revolution, but the ruling fanatics will eventually force the issue.  (But all Iranians are pretty on board with having atomic weapons, it is a mark of being one of "the big boys."  And Ukraine has proved that once a country has nukes, they should NEVER give them up.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

It's the one thing that you can 101% count on organised religion to get wrong: you can't force people to believe and act in accordance with your beliefs. You have to inspire them to follow. The moment they try to coerce it stops being faith and becomes fear.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 25, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

It's the one thing that you can 101% count on organised religion to get wrong: you can't force people to believe and act in accordance with your beliefs. You have to inspire them to follow. The moment they try to coerce it stops being faith and becomes fear.

THIS.  SO, much this.

Though, I'm not sure that organized religion always (101%) gets this wrong.  I'm speaking as someone who spent two years of my life trying to inspire folks to follow my beliefs as part of an organized group (no points for guessing).  Nonethelss, compulsion absolutely does NOT work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:22:10 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 25, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »

Compulsion works as a vector for transmitting belief systems all the time.

You're just not getting them young enough and long enough Wink.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 25, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »

Multimedia presentations, psychotropic drugs, and electric shocks.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »

PowerPoint is a tool of the Devil.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:38 PM »

Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely. Evil

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Andy-C
Mastermind
Operative

Used to be tracker7. Carry on.

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »

I'm on-board with GenCon's position, no surprise at all to anyone who knows me. Indiana SB101, very similar laws in several other states (including my own beloved Commonwealth), and the Federal RFRA are awful.

I don't think this is an empty threat on GenCon's part; at the same time, nothing may come of it. GenCon's staying in Indy through 2020. That's five years for challenges to SB101 to be made, and hopefully for the law to be struck down. If the law stands, this gives GenCon five years to find a new host city.

Should GenCon leave Indianapolis, the individuals who will suffer most are those who, demographically, are least likely to favor the law. Indianapolis is pretty blue (southwest and outer suburbs excepted); it has 15 legislators in the Indiana House of Representatives. 5 of those are Republicans, four of these voted for SB101. All ten Indy Democrats voted against it. Indy's Republican mayor, Greg Ballard, is also strongly opposed to SB101.

I'll go ahead and throw any veneer of objectivity out the window. Representatives of Outer Dumbfuckistan and a grandstanding governor have thrown their state's largest city and much of its welcoming reputation under a bus. Governor Pence is angling for a larger national profile, probably a Presidential/Vice-Presidential shot in 2020 or 2024, and this helps establish his People of Tea/rightwing cred.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 26, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »

... this helps establish his People of Tea/rightwing cred.

As a (small L) libertarian, may I please take a moment to point out that the Tea Party folks don't represent actual libertarian thought.  (They just stole our objections to taxes.)  People should be free to make their own choices.  Even if I disagree with them.  No, strike that, especially if I disagree with them.

I actually see a number of analogies to free speech: the speech everyone agrees with doesn't need protection.  Likewise, the way folks live their lives shouldn't be up for debate.  If you aren't hurting me or mine, carry on.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: