Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 07:28:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 254 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:13 AM »

... our "Corporate Citizens" make the Nazis look like Boy Scouts of America earning their Eagle Scout.

Please explain.  This does not make sense to me.

Our SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) in recent years declared certain 'rights' to corporations that were held only for actual people.  From there, the term "Corporate Citizen" spawned.  The idea that corporations inside the United States are as important as actual citizens.  Terrifying concept made worse by lobbyists.  As Valentina put very fittingly, their behavior in recent decades has been terrible.

The socio-economics of the US is very much in dire straights.  And I say that as a guy who is lucky enough not to be in the bottom half of that stratosphere.  We've built a game where the powerful can get rich, the rich can get powerful, and the every day person just has to pray they find a way through to squeak out an existence.  When the $15T US comes do, we're all joking ourselves if we think our 1% is going to stick around to help pay it back.

If we wish to discuss corporations behaving badly, I get where you're coming from.  Don't get me started on the idea that somehow Washington, Jefferson and company would approve of using immenent domain to remove property from a private citizen and give it to a business for more tax revenues.  Current situation terrifyingly close to some of Gibson's work?  Yes.  But worse than the Nazis?  Um, no.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 03:07:54 AM »

Scotland says "No."
Mildly disappointing, but I can't say that I don't see the pragmatism in the decision. Sad

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »

I am happily dancing upon the crushed souls of the yes campaign and the fall of the bar against women at St Andrews.

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »

I would have been slightly annoyed if the Scotts voted yes.  Scottland can break free, but the North of Ireland?  Nah.  UK has a problem with that. 
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »

Scotland says "No."
Mildly disappointing, but I can't say that I don't see the pragmatism in the decision. Sad

Oh well.  Maybe next year.  Possibly before March.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »

There is always the nearest backstop wall...

Which I wish i was even half joking about at this point. There aren't enough people left at the top of the economic heap with enough sense to do another New Deal or anything like it.
The "New New Deal" we tried after the housing bubble burst worked as well as Hoover's interventions after the '29 crash and FDR's New Deal:  Made the bad times last longer.

Huge swaths of the US federal government just need to go away.  72,000+ pages of federal tax code is nothing but corruption.  I've got a long list and plenty of it is debatable, but I think cutting the billions wasted complying with tax laws no one can comprehend is a reasonable start.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 01:28:52 PM »

72,000 pages and companies STILL move to Canada to avoid our taxes. lol.  (Burger Horton's, anyone? LOL)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Today at 02:15:37 PM »

(Burger Horton's, anyone? LOL)
What about Tim King?  (Just to give away nothing about what they sell.)

Unrelated:  To the Eighth Circle with Keynesian economists, no country or continent should be the next Japan.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:16:37 PM »

(Burger Horton's, anyone? LOL)
What about Tim King?  (Just to give away nothing about what they sell.)

Unrelated:  To the Eighth Circle with Keynesian economists, no country or continent should be the next Japan.

Ah, Austrian fantasies and delusions.

Hint: He ignores pretty much every aspect of Japan's economic challenges to bash what he thinks Keynes was saying.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: