Author Topic: Game feedback (Gencon 08)  (Read 3496 times)

Grimace

• Operative
    • View Profile
Game feedback (Gencon 08)
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »
Greetings all!

First let me say I had a blast playing all the games run by Crafty during the convention.  And it was great to get to go to dinner with everyone after the seminar.

Just wanted to give you some small feedback on the 10kB game run Saturday night (8pm). 

I believe that the Module/Mission was named Alibi.  It overall was a good mission, but there were a few comments from my friends and myself.

1.  The mission was over way too quickly.  For a 4 hour slot the game only lasted around 2h15m.  I'm not sure if this was because our group burned through things or what.    People at the convention are paying for and expecting a 4 hour game.   Did the other sessions end early also?

2.  One of my friends felt a little cheated in that when it came time for them to sweet-talk NPC's the GM asked for the dice roll and didn't really let the player do the roleplaying.   

3.  My more action oriented friend really wanted more gunplay.   Perhaps allowing the players to participate in the initial gun fight would have satisfied some of their lust for a gun fight.  It also could have extended the amount of time for the mission, helping with issue #1. 

Grimace

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
Re: Game feedback (Gencon 08)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
Huh. I've run that mission a couple times and never had a time issue. I suspect it was just the GM having some trouble with pacing. It can happen with any mission and it takes some experience (and sometimes luck) to overcome.

The roleplaying thing sounds like a clash in play styles. The GM's home table might be prefer the roll alone. Did your friend ask to roleplay? (I know that sounds silly but it's a valid question - like I say, folks have different styles.)

Sorry the event fell short for you but we're glad you said something. We're going to be revamping our convention outings in the future and every bit of feedback is helpful.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

NezMaster

• Handler
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Board: Nez Masters home page
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
I was upset about the short time of that session too. Most my games ran a bit early, but that one flew by.

The above 'talk into' session involved me listening to what they had to say, adjusting hte dc in my head, and then having the die roll. I didn't realize she had more to say. She seemed reluctant to play it out. (that and the natural twenty made it a bit moot.)

Sorry it wasn't hte best experience, but thanks for the feedback.

I've been running games along time, but have trouble with other peoples modules sometimes. I hope you'll try again and I continue to improve.

But yes, you burned through it. Your group played that scenaria really well, anticipating most things. I just didn't feel like improving too many extra barriers to pad the time. If anything, I should have streched out hte final battle. The trouble with the opening battle is too many things could shortcut the adventure before it starts. It seems better just to start after the fact.

Alibi is not my favorite adventure, but I tried to put my all in to it. Again, I hope I can do better next time.
90% of all statistics are wrong.

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
The above 'talk into' session involved me listening to what they had to say, adjusting hte dc in my head, and then having the die roll. I didn't realize she had more to say. She seemed reluctant to play it out. (that and the natural twenty made it a bit moot.)

Ah, yeah, that's tricky. It's a juggling act that every GM faces when running a time-sensitive game and even the best of us misjudge occasionally. It's easy to do, sadly.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

Grimace

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:23:12 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I myself enjoyed the game, the shortness of the mission left me wanting more.  :D

To tell you the truth, I'm not so sure how much roleplaying my friend would have done.  I think they were just dissappointed and wanted to complain.  Plus being low on sleep probably didn't help them.

With a name like 10kB, people will probably expect a good amount of gunplay. 
Grimace

RichardAshenden

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
Hi Grimace! You look mighty familiar.  :o
 ;D

Grimace

• Operative
    • View Profile