Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 10:29:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Port Empire City
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Port Empire City  (Read 11123 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

Not quite two eras, I would call it three, just to include the transition century and a half between steam engines and containers.  Actually four several eras:  Human powered, wind powered, cross oceanic navigation, mechanical power, containers.

The first boats required rowers, then the shift to deeper draft wind power.  But it wasn't until accurate "portable" clocks were invented that extended periods of time, two plus weeks, out of sight of land was feasible.  During the mid 1800s ships shifted from wind to steam power.  The early 1900s saw the shift to bulk tankers, but cargo was still breakbulk.  (Barrels or boxes, stuff that could be tied together or put in a cargo net/on a pallet and hoisted out of the hold with a crane.)  I want to say 1957 was the year the first container ship sailed, but it was about then.  I am not sure when bulk carriers as they are now became common, but I would say either in the early 1900s with the bulk tankers or right after WWII.

So it's more than two, but there aren't so many as to make it overwhelming.  Most of the eras are over a thousand years long.

I'm pretty sure I ditched the notes, but port development went through five phases from pulling up on the beach to building elaborate quays.  Don't forget that the Romans did stuff with cement that we still can't do.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »

For some reason this discussion makes me want to dig up information on the changes in Liverpool - and how in some cases it was easier to abandon the old facilities and move elsewhere in the port.In particular when Diesel replaced steam the old facilities, with their enormous coal bunkers were left to rust, rot, and crumble for several decades. And before that pretty much the same thing happened when steam replaced sails.

A Liverpuddlian friend of mine lived in an apartment that was part of a converted warehouse - in the basement they still had the rings and chains left from the slave trade - while slaves were illegal in England while they were in transit they were considered merely cargo....

A series of PDFs covering various areas of Empire city in greater detail than the main book might not be a bad idea, not limited to the port, but also the railyards, the slums, and downtown. I have spent most of my life in port cities, and ports would be my main interest as well, not least because of pulp gaming, and a lack of interest in 'street' - the closest I might come would be pulp-noir. Having greater detail would make it easier to use as a more generic setting.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »

Was reading an old Pulp Novel and wondering if Empire City was a Port.

Now I know !! This means the city has Fog.  Smiley

Makes it a dead cert for the home town of my 1930s Pulp Crimefighters. Every Pulp crime adventure needs Fog !!!

Can see it now. "A thick fog covers the city like a shroud. Ahead, through the murk you see the gaudy neon nights of Chinatown. Soon you will arrive at Lu Fangs headquarters......"   

Yum Yum. Looking forward to 10KB even more now.

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »

Makes it a dead cert for the home town of my 1930s Pulp Crimefighters. Every Pulp crime adventure needs Fog !!!

Can see it now. "A thick fog covers the city like a shroud. Ahead, through the murk you see the gaudy neon nights of Chinatown. Soon you will arrive at Lu Fangs headquarters......"   

It is most definitely a port. I grew up in a port town myself (Portland - the industry is on the tin) so I see a lot of potential for a port in story hooks and play opportunities.

Doublebond
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 08:34:47 AM »

It is most definitely a port. I grew up in a port town myself (Portland - the industry is on the tin) so I see a lot of potential for a port in story hooks and play opportunities.

That's not technically a pun, but I'm grimacing nonetheless.  Tongue
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »

Quote from: Crafty_Alex

Season 2 of The Wire, for example.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »

A key component of famous historical fogs, London's for example, is smoke.  First wood and then coal, the particulates aided the formation of the fog.  The shift to natural gas and electricity cut down the smoke and London's air is cleaner, and less foggy, than it has been in centuries.  Other noteworthy fogs, San Francisco, are a result of local geography.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »

Cool. Fasinating. So, if I move Empire City back to the 30s and put it in the right place on the coast, would that cover me for the occasional pea-souper ??.

Maybe add in a speedboat chase round the harbour (with gunfire) too. Thats worked for every detective series ever created, from Sherlock Holmes (The Sign of Four) to Miami Vice. In fact, a speedboat chase was mandatory in each episode of Miami Vice.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:00:24 AM by snake » Logged

Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »

All I know is I am amazed by how much stuff a 40ft container can hold and how frequently they are now being used for smuggling.  It is insane they just found yet another shipping container full of cocaine last week.
snake
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »

All I know is I am amazed by how much stuff a 40ft container can hold and how frequently they are now being used for smuggling.  It is insane they just found yet another shipping container full of cocaine last week.

Wow.

Another thought just struck me. Will the New MC Organisation rules be used to create Criminal Gangs Huh?  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:11:36 AM by snake » Logged

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »

It doesn't surprise me how much they hold but it does surprise me how often they are used. It is getting brazen and speaks to how lax they think we are regarding it.

Yes, the one for 10KB can be used for that specifically...

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »

It doesn't surprise me how much they hold but it does surprise me how often they are used. It is getting brazen and speaks to how lax they think we are regarding it.
The sheer volume of shipping containers eliminates the possibility of inspecting each one, though they all are scanned for radioactive material before leaving the dockside storage area.

Plus a shipping container can be a diplomatic pouch.  If a group of crooks gets some hooks into a foreign government...

Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »

Yes, the one for 10KB can be used for that specifically...
The scary truth is that so much product is coming into the US that losing the occasional container just doesn't hurt them that much.  While the stuff has a very high street value the manufacturing cost is rather low.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »

Wow.

Another thought just struck me. Will the New MC Organisation rules be used to create Criminal Gangs Huh?  

Yes. At least that's the plan right now - an Organization is an Organization.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: