Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 01:30:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Port Empire City
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Port Empire City  (Read 11453 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »

Empire City is on the coast, right?  Since I'm in shipping now, I can help give Port Empire City the varnish of reality.

And I'm not sure what such a villain would do, but an interesting place for a mastermind's hideout would be on a tankerITB, Integrated Tug Barge.  No violent raids, wouldn't want to set off the cargo or have it leak into the harbor.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

Interesting! The port is a BIG part of Empire City, mainly as a in-out point for many of the criminal smuggling and black market operations run by triads and Russian mob. It moves mainly industrial goods, including cars, steel, and trains above the board - and people, drugs and guns below it.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »

Did you know a 40 foot container can be considered a diplomatic pouch?   Shocked

And given the value of ships these days, most illegal stuff will be lightered out in international waters.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »

Did you know a 40 foot container can be considered a diplomatic pouch?   Shocked

I knew I should have gone into politics......

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

It is amazing what can be considered a diplomatic pouch ... like a train car...

All it needs is the markings that it belongs to that country....

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »

Also, a bait and switch from a Mastermind takes on a whole new dimension when its happening in the yard where they unload container ships.  Even if you're there legally, they hardly even slow down operations, let alone stop.  So whatever you're chasing can be moved, hidden, and loaded on a truck without you even knowing you missed it.

Also frieght ships themselves are BIG, with a crazy number of hiding places for smaller items of value [especially if the item of value isn't a narcotic or explosive device].
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »

There is also the fact that freighters are unarmed.  While it would be worth the effort of the police, Coast Guard and mobsters to keep the vessels from being mugged in port, they can be tempting targets.

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »

That was actually a possible ending scene in the 10KB demo at Origins.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »

That was actually a possible ending scene in the 10KB demo at Origins.

Mugging a ship, hunting a container in the yard, or something on an ITB?

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »

Assaulting a cargo ship carrying lots of containers .... Charlie and I talked our way out of joining the firefight. He was playing a car thief and I was playing a former thief gone straight who had to fulfill one last contract. We were supposed to create problems for these two rival groups according to the guy who hired us. With some skillful use of contacts, we got the body of a dead guy from one side on the news with markings that he was a traitor from the other side tattooed on him. It sparked a war and we bowed out of the gunfight because as we stated: "We only supposed to provide the spark per your instructions and no one said we had to take part in the war to do our part." ... We got away.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 06:58:20 PM »

Very, very zesty.   Smiley

gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »

I still thought it coulda been fun to blow some holes in the baddies, but we had done our job.  I couldn't fault his logic.  My character was a run first, ask questions later type.  I think it ended well.  At least there were no extra blood stains in my trunk from further bodies that I had to haul around the city.   Smiley

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »

Before I make myself look (more) like an ass by offering unwanted information, is there real interest in making sure Empire City's port functions like a real port?  Or do we want something much less accurate and (possibly) more fun?  I'm in the shipping industry now, and can get just about all the information about New York Harbor that anyone could want, and plenty about other big and small ports.

How much accuracy do we want to sacrifice for more exciting waterfront adventures?  Actually, I'm sure if I threw out some stuff about what is done, adventures could be written and enjoyed, but do we want that extra info?

MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »

I'd rather have more information about a subject and pare it down to what I find fun than flounder about lacking what I need. Plus, I suspect some core information would be applicable to ports in (for example) FantasyCraft settings.

Walter
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »

More info is always good, unless you sacrifice game content for fluff, then its no good. (I'd rather buy a bigger book with more of both though and miss out on nothing) So, I say go for it.  Go all out.

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: