Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 07:25:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  Spoiler tags?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spoiler tags?  (Read 7837 times)
Daedalus4096
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 03:45:44 PM »

Rot13 is an antiquated solution.

Rot26 is *clearly* superior.  It must be; it has a higher number!

*ducks*
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 05:28:04 PM »

Rot13 is an antiquated solution.

Rot26 is *clearly* superior.  It must be; it has a higher number!

Well, it's certainly easier to use.

Also available: Instant water. Just add water.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 01:06:27 AM »

Eh, anything involving going to another site sounds fairly inefficient to me. I think I'll stick to coloring text white. It's not perfect, but it better than nothing.

Hmmm, though the urge to give players their mission briefings in cypher, purely as a matter of flavor....

I seem to recall an old computer game that did that - using a 'secret decoder ring that came in the box. One of the few times where the copy protection was worked into the plot of the game. One of the messages, if I recall correctly, was 'Aways Drink Your Ovaltine.' Tongue

I want to say it was CinemaWare's Rocket Ranger game.

The Auld Grump, Gazzzzzzz.....

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 03:57:27 AM »

SSI's Gold Box (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds etc. on C64) games had a decoder wheel with them.

They may even had uses for them in-game (not sure, that was some 20 odd years ago).

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 05:35:07 AM »

Oh gods, old school computer games protection schemes... I still remember the day I lost the decoder wheel for Prince of Persia 2... I never got to finish that game, dammit!

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 01:56:05 AM »

Oh gods, old school computer games protection schemes... I still remember the day I lost the decoder wheel for Prince of Persia 2... I never got to finish that game, dammit!
Heh, there were some that were not too bad - I could get into Civilization without cracking the book, pretty much the same for Railroad Tycoon - if you knew what they were talking about then no book was needed.

The decoder in the game I mentioned actually fit well in the way the game worked - you got your briefings, and occasional messages in cypher and would decode them in order to find out what your next mission was. The 'collectors edition' had a decoder ring instead of a cardboard disk. Smiley

I wish that I still had that ring.

The Auld Grump

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 01:58:22 AM »

Prince of Persia 1's copy control tunnel of potions was something that, due to its essentially limited pool of "what letter is this?" questions was something that you could crack by trial-and-error, writing down the results and just cross referencing those to the question.

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »

I see Alex has upgraded to version 1.1.3, so barring any major mishaps I guess spoiler tags aren't far away now...

- Aesop
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 12:06:10 PM »

Well, just one...no spoiler tag mods work with 1.1.3 Sad I tried doing it at the same time as the upgrade, but no dice. May be a while before we see the mod upgraded.

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »

Cry

Ah well, from the patch notes of 1.1.3 it's only a couple bugfixes, so it shouldn't take that long to upgrade the mod... right?

- Aesop
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »

I've been waiting for an update for an Event Attendee mod for SMF since 1.1 RC1 Wink

Sometimes these things take a bit of time... Sad

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

Time or not - I am liking this software much better than the old.

It can keep up with my (not very fast) typing. (That the old board could not was a comment on just how slow the software was.)

It does not mysteriously lock up on some script.

I can stay logged in.

It uses the same protocols for inserting images as most of the boards I inhabit.

It is easy to enter links.

All the forums go at the same speed, and there are none I need to avoid if I want to keep my computer happy.

I can wait for spoilers. I can wait. Smiley

The Auld Grump

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »

Alex, might I direct your attention here? I assume 1.1 rc3 is the same as 1.1.3, in which case there is a simple fix to get spoiler tag mods to work Smiley

Note: I know bugger-all about SMF, I just searched for "spoiler tag 1.1.3" on the simplemachines forums, so it could be that they're talking about something completely different...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:06:07 PM by Antilles » Logged

- Aesop
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 03:01:42 PM »

"RC" means "release candidate" meaning this was a beta set for version 1.1 but never got an official number per se. 1.1.3 is the third iteration of 1.1...slightly different..

the SMF site is already running an RC for 2.0, so we may see future development that way. The spoiler tag solution I like allows for custom tagging (so you can write "Out of Character" for your button, if you like) but currently there are not fixes. I'm hoping that a switchup would be as simple as going into the PHP and changing the compatibility code from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3...

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 05:28:17 AM »

You could always give it a shot... I doubt it'll muck up anything just by adding ;version_emulate to the installer.

- Aesop
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: