Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 09:57:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  Cash & Carry - Maybe I'm blind?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash & Carry - Maybe I'm blind?  (Read 2586 times)
Black Bart
Recruit

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »

I just got The Big Score, and I'm loving it. Great work guys, I've been waiting for this.

Could use a little help (or maybe just glasses), I'm looking in the Cash & Carry system, trying to find how abilities that increase a character's choices in their equipment's Caliber, like the Wheelman's Custom Ride, and the Infiltrator's Gear Prep, effect Spending Cash. I found how it works with Stock Pile but I can't see anything for C&C. Did I miss the info complexly?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

Bottom right column of page 7 in the full version, in the "Convert Gear Picks" section.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Black Bart
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »

I thought that might be it but it doesn't mention caliber upgrades, just additional possessions.  Thanks Pat.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »

That's because Caliber is irrelevant when using the Cash n' Carry system. All that matters is the raw number of picks you have.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »

So what you are saying is that classes with pick upgrades as a class ability get zilch in Cash n' Carry at that level, correct?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »

In the RAW, yes.

In my games I'd likely invoke the above Cal V clause in those abilities and give out a few free upgrades whenever they buy an item covered by the ability. Either that or give them a 10% (off the top of my head) discount on that class of item. Please note, I may be overlooking something somewhere that gives gear prep bonuses to any type of pick, so be careful with the discount method.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »

Just to bring this back up to hopefully get a solid confirmation from Crafty (not disrespecting your thoughts, Krensky)

As written, it seems like Krensky's interpretation is correct -- abilities such as Gear Prep and Custom Ride are essentially negated (because they increase mission caliber, rather than granting picks).

Alternately, in the absence of any official ruling, Krensky's discount/free upgrades idea seems pretty good, but I'm more inclined to simply treat each instance of this type of ability as simply a +1 to Spending Cash (I'd thought about making it 1/2 a point, since increasing a pick's level twice would allow you to have two picks of the original caliber, but the simple +1 is easier for book-keeping and not exactly going to break the bank).
MugMug
Control

Tin Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »

Alternately, in the absence of any official ruling, Krensky's discount/free upgrades idea seems pretty good, but I'm more inclined to simply treat each instance of this type of ability as simply a +1 to Spending Cash (I'd thought about making it 1/2 a point, since increasing a pick's level twice would allow you to have two picks of the original caliber, but the simple +1 is easier for book-keeping and not exactly going to break the bank).

If your inclination was to make it 1/2 a point, why not treat it as a mission gear pick (which are already summed and halved before adding to Spending Cash)? The value you ascribed is used, and no additional calcs are required.

Walter
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

... Shocked
Because I misread -- my intention was to treat the ability as a bonus Mission pick, as you said.  I just got too complicated in the wording and totally forgot that Mission Picks were halved as well...

Though you COULD make the argument that, since Gear Prep boosts 3 picks, and Custom Ride boosts ALL vehicle picks, they're worth more than a single Mission pick... but that's not what I'm trying to do.  Grin
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »

Gear Prep only affects one pick, period. ... I was hoping it would have been adjusted based upon Intruder class levels as opposed to Action Dice. With 1 pick per 4 levels, upgrading when Action Dice do, it would reward those who stayed with the class longer. At 16th level you would receive 4 picks you could adjust.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »

DP, I think you're just trying to mess with my admitted occasional slip on the rules Smiley

Gear Prep: You always seem to have the best tools for the job at hand. At Level 1, during the Intel Phase, you or any of your teammates may choose a number of mission gear picks equal to your starting action dice as if the missionís Caliber were 1 higher. If the mission is Caliber V, you may instead choose the same number of additional Caliber I mission gear picks of any type.

So, barring unusual campaign qualities, you're able to bump 3 picks at level 1, +1 at 6th, 11th, and 16th
Number Three
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

Check your erratta and/or your second printing.

Quote from: FP Erratta V3, page 3, Intuder
The Intruder’s gear prep ability should read as follows: “You always seem to have the best tools for the job at hand. At Level 1, you may choose 1 mission gear pick as if the mission’s Caliber were 1 higher. If the mission is Caliber V, you instead gain a number of additional upgrades up to your starting action dice that may be applied to any of your mission gear picks.”

Every "pick bump" ability received a similar treatment.

Number Three
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »

I have an idea for a solution, but years of L5R have taught me, "Don't post ideas, then the company can't use them."  Undecided

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »

My adjustment for me in a home game is as posted above about adjusting based upon Intruder class levels. It rewards those who stick with class. ...

I think part of the reason with it being changed so drastically was some LSpy GCs couldn't cope with the number of bumps that could occur in a Caliber IV or V mission especially when many people were taking for just one level to get the Gear Prep.

It's kind of like many people taking just one level of Martial Artist for the feat and stat line. At least with the damage adjustment, I could understand. I still heard no end of griping from a couple of LSpy players about the Martial Arts feat being adjusted. One guy reminded me about it in April again. I finally had to tell him again about the comparative damage and how his Martial Artist did not get anywhere near as screwed as my 16th level LSpy agent who had 10 levels of Intruder. I got more hosed by the Gear Prep adjustment in LSpy than anyone.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »

DP, my mistake, I was still operating under errata 2.1 or something...  Just as well that I plan on escaping to Cash & Carry as soon as possible, since I never particularly liked the Gear Prep-like abilities that much -- for my groups, gearing up was always an agony that I tried as best as possible to streamline.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: