Author Topic: The Expanse discussion thread  (Read 4888 times)

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: The Expanse discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 01:33:33 AM »
Man, I would give good money to see the main cast, in costume and character, acting out one of the zero-g scenes while in real zero-g. It'd either be hilarious as hell, or bloody awesome.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2016, 05:14:42 AM »
Hmm... It seems the words were first put together, best I can see, by Thomas Metzger in the context of awareness and AI research.

I'm not seeing it anything I read though.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
Spoiler: show

A better look at Bobbie's power armor. Still think it's a bit small and lacking in heft to be 'proper' power armor, not to mention the dinky-looking arm gun, but I am liking the slightly older and clunkier looking design, compared to the armor used on the Donnager.
- Aesop

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
My main problem is the total lack of joint reinforcement on the elbows and knees that is pretty much the raison d'ętre of power armour, followed very quickly by the stupidly damage-prone looking cabling that's there instead.I am however vastly pleased at the complete lack of moulded boobs

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
This is pretty neat: an AMA with Ty and Daniel.

edit: Really like this quote about how they managed to work so well together: "Check your ego at the door. Agree on what the mission statement of the book is, and stick to it. Best idea wins, no matter who came up with it. Also, we rewrite each other's work, so the voice winds up very consistent, and also not the voice of either of us individually."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:40:33 AM by Antilles »
- Aesop

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 01:53:06 AM »
Season 2's here, and it's started damn strong. Bobbie's looking like a proper shit-kicker, and the armor's not bad in motion, though I still wish hers was noticeably bigger/bulkier compared to her friends.
- Aesop

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »
Episode 5 just aired, and with that they've finished book 1 (with a literal bang). All in all not a bad adaption, though obviously missing bits and scaled down in places. The (ground) assault on Thoth station was a bit lackluster/rushed, and I much preferred the book version of Dresden. The weirdness of Eros was massively scaled down, but that was mostly expected/forgiven. I'm sad to say they kinda flubbed the early look of Bobbie (especially compared to how well they've used Avarasala), since she and her squad are mostly coming across as a bunch of 2-dimensional bloodthirsty jarheads. I can see where they're going with it for her future development, it's just not any fun to watch at the moment.
- Aesop

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 05:34:47 AM »
Bobby should not be this unlikeable. I honestly want to fast forward through her scenes

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
Yeah...  Of all the Martian marines scenes, the only bits I actually felt more than lukewarm about was the initial drill scene, Bobby armwrestling her suit, and the "I use weapons as weapons" line. The rest were just so... uninspired? By the numbers? Hell, right now I'd rather follow their CO than the stereotypical bloodthirsty meatheads.

Spoiler: Book 2 stuff • show

I can sorta see what they're going for, pride goes before the fall and all that, and it should set up a fairly effective before and after for when she gets her shit pushed in hard on Ganymede, but... yeah. The MM scenes were generally the lowest points of the respective episodes. Hopefully when we get into book territory and we get to see Bobby dealing with what happens on Ganymede it'll pick up to the level of the rest of the show.
- Aesop

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
So, with season 2 now ended, what did folks think?

The power armour continues to be a sore point for me: it just lacks the iron man/war machine-esque intimidation factor of the book version. The moment at the end of Bobby laying the smack down on the crew had a nice Terminator2-esque "Come with me if you wan to live" vibe though.

The change to how Johnson gets the protomolecule was startling, and Naomi's "no more secrets" lead in to the reveal made me think Philip's existence was being revealed as part of the ground laying the show has the chance to do for Inaros and Dawes that the earlier books didn't.

TV!Holden remains superior to Book!Holden

Prax has been adapted well, and unexpectedly hot space dad holds his own well against Holden and the others. Their version of Basia though -- fleeting as it was -- bugs the hell out of me; having him rail against Prax for abandoning their missing kids instead of fatalistically giving up on them in the face of Prax's obsession as in the books feels like it undercuts the entire point and arc of the character. Also never pictured him as a reedy looking white guy. However I am mindful that if the show makes it to Cibola Burn, that book is going to need quite a bit of hammering any way to fit into the narrative without abandoning the focus on the larger politics of the setting

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
Yeah, the suit was probably the biggest disappointment in the season. No awesome fight on Ganymede (not that we got to see much, anyways), no running through bulkheads like they're made out of cheap cardboard...

After a rocky start Bobby finally became just about as awesome as she is in the book. And I was a bit surprised at the expanded role of Cotyar, but the actor is awesome and rocked it in Spartacus so I don't mind. Avarasala is still my favorite character (at least now she gets to swear a bit), but the biggest surprise/climber this season gotta be Drummer, she just kicks all kinds of ass. I agree that Prax has been a really solid character, as well.

One thing I'm not a fan of is this 'ending the season in a middle of a book' thing they've got going on, the endings so far doesn't feel like proper season endings, while the proper ending episodes are just a quarter of the way into the season. Seriously, imagine if they had ended on "We need to talk."
- Aesop

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »
Gods save us from cliffhanger season endings.

Expanding on Cotyar was a pretty good decision -- Avarasala needed an ally to bounce off, and the story needed to show there were Earthers other than her fighting the good fight beyond the bulkheads of the Rocce.

Mister Andersen 2.0

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
THE HUGO FOR BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – SHORTFORM
WINNER - The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes,” written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough