Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2015, 01:36:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Oynx Path's new "Sardonyx" system for Aeon Continuum (and Scion)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oynx Path's new "Sardonyx" system for Aeon Continuum (and Scion)  (Read 274 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »

Public Preview #1

Some commentary on the design goals

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »

Let's see, looking over the preview...

Cutsey, puny name. While not surprising, also not a good sign.
Calling the GM something other than GM, another pet peeve. Some systems benefit from this because it gets people out of the typical dynamic, but this doesn't look like it needs that.
Looking at the mechanic, this looks like another rendition of Storyteller.
The Red Pool seems very fiddly and I have no idea to determine how many dice are in it at any given time due to the weird way NPCs contribute to it, but only while they're around, I think.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »

Eh. They admit the name is a place holder.

The evolutionary path from the Storyteller System is evident, but while it seems somewhat less complex than Exalted the write up leaves me feeling they've failed in achieving newbie friendliness compared to the ease with which you can throw a first timer into Storyteller. I have a sneaking suspicion that this new system derives in part from the freeform powers system they stuck in the Trinity Players Guide, the benefits of which never struck me as being quite worth the bother of all the tables involved

The first thing that bugs me, though perhaps not that significant a thing, is the whole spending of successes in order to succeed. I can see where they're coming from -- Storyteller's "as long as you get one die meeting the target number you achieve basic success" is functionally equivalent to Sardonyx's "difficulty 0" -- but the fact that it doesn't mention difficulty 0 as an option until significantly into the write up creates a false first impression of the mathematics of the system and the requirements at the table. Or maybe not, given how intrinsic "upping the ante" seems to be.

Not that I'm opposed to such bidding systems, but the iteration of the idea here seems to be misguided. A system based in pulp cinematics should build on a basic success rather than the all-or-mostly-nothing principle that this preview seems to posit

On the plus side, the idea of getting a consolation for messing up your rolls is fun, and the Black and Red pools are... interesting in their gameplay philosophy

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »

I don't think it's inherently different that ST, ust phrasing it differently. I'm not a fan of the buying off difficulties verbiage though. It's much simpler and intuitive to say you need to achieve more successes than the difficulty.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »

I don't think it's inherently different that ST, ust phrasing it differently. I'm not a fan of the buying off difficulties verbiage though. It's much simpler and intuitive to say you need to achieve more successes than the difficulty.

Exactly. I think in part it's because OP have purchased the Aeon Continuum and Scion IPs outright, rather than licence them as they have with WoD and Exalted

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 01:48:23 AM »

Preview #2: Attributes & Skills -- reminds me of the way 'Nox broke solving scenes down into those three basic groups.

Designer commentary on the above

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »

Teaser 3

Discussion

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: