Author Topic: Video Game News and Such 2016  (Read 20404 times)

TheOpSecTreeFloof

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game News and Such 2016
« Reply #345 on: September 03, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
I'm going to claim Internet ignorant neanderthal on this one.. because I had no idea what you were talking about. lol

Aaaah, you know how it is.  Someone says they don't have faith that Civ VI would be any good, I say that might be unnecessarily negative, some jackass calls trollbait and says the new Civ games are absolute trash, and yadda yadda yadda.  Fortunately I just posted an eyeroll and the thread got back on track, but there has been an almost excessive amount of pre-negativity as of late.  It's been the worst since I decided to keep my eyes open on CoD: IW news, since I practically have to race to hide the chat on any streams about it, lest I get bombarded by "RIP CoD" and all sorts of other shit.  And wo is anyone who actually says something positive about what they see. :rolleyes:

I mean, how bad is it?  Over in the XCOM forums were a number of posts saying how bad Firaxis was messing things up, and how they should have Julian Gollap to do it.  Now, years later, and Mr. Gollap announces a new XCOM like game in Phoenix Point... and you can probably see where this is going.  Not even proper gameplay footage, and people are calling it a failure.  In the XCOM forums.  *Facepalm*

Oooooooooh!  You're doing a deep cover study of why 97% of the internet users shouldn't be covered by the Geneva Conventions!  Got it!

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #346 on: September 03, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »
Oooooooooh!  You're doing a deep cover study of why 97% of the internet users shouldn't be covered by the Geneva Conventions!  Got it!
Not internet users, internet commenters.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 03, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
Not internet users, internet commenters.

Yes, definitely need to be careful of the wording.  Those nano-machines in R&D need to be precisely programmed, lest the Café Incident happen again.

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #348 on: September 03, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
Yes, definitely need to be careful of the wording.  Those nano-machines in R&D need to be precisely programmed, lest the Café Incident happen again.
Let's not have one of those again, and definitely not one ten times worse.  Hmm.  Dunno, maybe the world would be better for it even if PR can't quite cover it up.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
Found something amusing the other day.  Like a number of games, Civ 5 has a number of Steam Workshop mods that add a number of things.  One of these things were Metal Gear factions, such as Big Boss's MSF from Peace Walker.  So what does someone do?  Do a Let's Play fanfiction of course.  Has some nice jokes, as well as an... interesting reason for the Civ world.  Check it out.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Seems Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander has fully released its 1.0 version.  Looks interesting, in a quasi-Star Trek RPG with strategy elements way.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
So it turns out that both the female and male versions of Ryder, the protagonist of Mass Effect Andromeda, will coexist within the game as brother and sister. It's an interesting way of short circuiting the which character is real/canon debate.

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2016, 04:59:35 PM »
Seems Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander has fully released its 1.0 version.  Looks interesting, in a quasi-Star Trek RPG with strategy elements way.

. . .

How the hell have I not seen this game before? This looks awesome.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »
By the way, the new Heroes of the Storm StarCraft maps are coming out next patch, and I am of course excited.  I'm also excited to hear the updated versions of the old soundtrack.  Oh!  Here it is:

1 (Alt 1, 2, Unplugged)
2 (Alt)
3 (Alt 1, 2)
Menu

And finally, hoping that I did not screw up all of those links, one more as bonus:
ETC: Rogues

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2016, 11:51:58 PM »
By the way, on September 15 they will be releasing the Bioshock HD Collection.  And anyone who owns the Steam version of these games will get the updated version for free!  So, uh, would you kindly check it out it's updated graphics?

For myself, this might be even better, because the current Bioshock 2 didn't seem to want to play on my computer properly last time I tried.  Something to do with its prior Games for Windows programming.  Hopefully the HD version doesn't have that problem.

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
By the way, on September 15 they will be releasing the Bioshock HD Collection.  And anyone who owns the Steam version of these games will get the updated version for free!  So, uh, would you kindly check it out it's updated graphics?

For myself, this might be even better, because the current Bioshock 2 didn't seem to want to play on my computer properly last time I tried.  Something to do with its prior Games for Windows programming.  Hopefully the HD version doesn't have that problem.

Oh, awesome, I didn't know the PC version was getting the spruced up Bioshock games. Neat.

I am also now reminded that Bioshock came out in 2007. I really... doesn't feel like it was that long ago.
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 15, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »

Oh, awesome, I didn't know the PC version was getting the spruced up Bioshock games. Neat.

I am also now reminded that Bioshock came out in 2007. I really... doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

Ch'yeah, no kiddin'. :P

In other news: Official Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare – Story Trailer

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »
METAL GEAR SURVIVE: TGS 2016 GAME PLAY DEMO

One thing the Rock Paper Shotgun article did remind me about: Kojima actually wanted to make a true proper zombie game, but felt that they wouldn't fit into the MGS world.  That said, some zombie elements crop up in MGS IV, when SOP is turned off, and the nanomachines keeping all the soldiers' emotions in check shut down.

It makes me wonder if this whole survive thing was Konami's way of going: "Oh, you want to leave?  Fine, then we will make a zombie game out of MGS!"  Definitely sounds like the dumb, petty thing a corporation that's been on a downhill slide would do.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
Well, if you want to get your mind off of the US Presidential debate, you can always check out the recently released Haydee.  According to its description, "Haydee" is a hardcore old-style metroidvania mixed with modern-day third person shooter and platformer mechanics."

Oh, and it might not be SFW.  You'll realize why once you watch the video.