Author Topic: [Discusion] Ideal systems for Star Wars?  (Read 2159 times)

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: [Discusion] Ideal systems for Star Wars?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »
  I've been invited to play on occasion and made a character, but I've never actually sat down and thrown dice at it.

If I'm eyeing Mastercraft and thinking "hmm, this could be streamlined a little" then what I saw of Star Wars helped me narrow down what overshooting that mark looks like. It might grow on me with a deeper hands on.

It looked like you could add more "cool things you can do" very slowly by buying into new trees, but that appeared pricey, very.

I may be a bit spoiled for Jedi type gameplay as I actually really liked about 90% of how the SW:ToR MMO worked. That plus fond memories of the original Force Unleashed left me with VERY hyperkinetic (and visual) expectations for playable Jedi.
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »
If I'm eyeing Mastercraft and thinking "hmm, this could be streamlined a little" then what I saw of Star Wars helped me narrow down what overshooting that mark looks like. It might grow on me with a deeper hands on.

That's a really good description, actually.

I may be a bit spoiled for Jedi type gameplay as I actually really liked about 90% of how the SW:ToR MMO worked. That plus fond memories of the original Force Unleashed left me with VERY hyperkinetic (and visual) expectations for playable Jedi.

I've not played the Jedi/Force expansion so can't comment on that, but I do like that they went Han->Leia->Luke, emphasizing the baselines over the special snowflakes

TheOpSecTreeFloof

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
So.. I've been GMing the FFG Star Wars a bit over the past year.  We've got all three books slapped in now. 

Upside.  Jedi aren't nearly as "I'm the center of the entire game now" as they were in WOTC's D20 approach. 

The dice still drive me nuts.  And I'll agree that the talents are definitely more "you do this a little better" vs. "You now can do this".  That said, I find it a tolerable medium between FATE and say FantasyCraft D20.  I prefer a little more crunch and wording, my players enjoy the "Oooh.. I succeeded but I did it badly!" narrative option.

For Star Wars RPGs, I'd vote FFG -> D6 -> D20.  And I liked D20, but if you had a jedi, it messed up group power, or if you wanted a starship friendly campaign, battles took forever.

paddyfool

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 01:02:41 AM »
I had a lot of fun with the d20 star wars system... but a lot of that was more to do with being a shapeshifting lizardman infiltrator and computer hacker with a laser uzi than it was to do with the system itself.

I had less fun with d6, but that was mainly due to issues with the GM. Also it was my first time role-playing.

Haven't tried the FFG one but I'd be willing to give it a go.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:37:23 AM by paddyfool »

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 02:18:51 AM »
The biggest problem with D6 Star Wars tends to be people not applying the multitasking and training rules and giving out way to many character points.

Basically anyone who says Force users took over wasn't playing by the rules.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
WEG's D6 Star Wars is still my favorite of the batch, though that could just be nostalgia speaking.

The game definitely had its flaws. Wookies could be practically immune to small arms fire like blaster pistols.

The biggest problem with D6 Star Wars tends to be people not applying the multitasking and training rules and giving out way to many character points.
Multitasking rules were clunky as hell. We used them when we played but they could use some re-engineering.

We modified training times because, well, they just weren't any fun as they initially existed.  Essentially we just required training for adding a full die, while the +1s and +2s could be done between any adventure.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
It was also the cost and time for training force skills without a teacher.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky