Thanks and keep up the great work. Transmechs just found its way onto my kindle
Someone actually owns a Kindle?!
I myself have gone from Novice Spycraft 2.0 to a more.. 'advanced' 2.0 group. I'm my group's GC.. read your post and couldn't help but chime in really quick on a slightly different note.
If you're having trouble getting a Spycraft 2.0 group up and running... try running a pre-made intro game. I posted what I did.. way back when.. be damned if I can remember the name of the post.. anyway... here's my suggestion.
Roll up X amount of player chars. All level 1 or 2. (Nothing higher. I started with 1, and leveled them to level 2 so they could get a feel for how SC2 'levels up'.) Have a very on the rails mission (adventure). I had in my pre-built group... 1 Wheelman, 1 Hacker, 1 Soldier, 1 Snoop and 1 Advocate. Each class covers a 'focus' of the 2.0 ruleset. Chase, Complex Task, Combat, Investigation, Cha based skills. (Granted the Snoop and Advocate compliment each other.)
From there.. I built up a mission.. The soldier & wheelman had to free the rest of the team from a prison. (Pure combat.) Advocate & Snoop had to find out hwo to get out of the facility. Nothing like sweet talk and a bribe. (Investigate & Charisma if required). Hacker hacked the garage to get access to an escape vehicle. (Complex task.) Wheelman had to drive the team to safety. (Predator / Prey Dramatic Conflict).
At the very end... just when the team thought they were safe.. their car rounded the corner, and came face to face with a Tank. Main bad guy was standing on top.. he laughed.. taunted with a.. "Fools! The world is mine!" ...and summarily killed the entire party with the main tank gun.
From there... my players had an idea what the game was like.. and they new what did what.. and what they wanted to play. They rolled up chars.. and in they went.
Koala's GC tips for SC2:
1. Do NOT try to learn / use all the rules at once. SC2 is amazing.. but it's also daunting if you do it all at once. Plug and play and learn as you go.
2. SC / CG has possibly the best community of any RPG I've ever played. If you have a question, ask on the forums. The community is friendly, helpful, albeit slightly deranged.
3. If you like other D20 systems take on loot... use Big Score. ...I'll be honest.. outside of one campaign, it's all we use.
4. Don't be afraid to use your book like a security blanket. As I said in 1. SC2 is daunting at times.
5. If you're players are apprehensive about all the crunch, tell them to just roll up chars using the first 4 chapters (abilities, class, skill, feats)... and you'll guide them on the rest.