Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 12:54:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  New Layout
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Layout  (Read 7498 times)
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 02:01:45 PM »

I think the problem is the height setting on the iframe for the forum, which is set to an absolute 1024 pixels. That's probably more than the vertical dimension of most people's screen resolution, especially considering the 150 pixels or so of stuff above the iframe. Replacing that number with a percentage of, say, 70%, should get rid of the outer scrollbar for most of us.

Gatac
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »

OK, call me stupid, but I can't see any scrollbars within scrollbars. Am I missing something?

As for the forum software... SMF is the best, free, forum software out there Cheesy

The only thing I've noticed is that, if after entering text in a reply/post I press tab (to get to the "post" button" it actually tabs to the PM notification at the top of the page Undecided

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »

I think the problem is the height setting on the iframe for the forum, which is set to an absolute 1024 pixels. That's probably more than the vertical dimension of most people's screen resolution, especially considering the 150 pixels or so of stuff above the iframe. Replacing that number with a percentage of, say, 70%, should get rid of the outer scrollbar for most of us.

Gatac

Hey Gatac,

No love there - width in the module goes to percent, but height must be absolute. I've contacted the module author so see if there's a way to just dump that particular setting out - I've tried disabling it but it didn't work (AFAIK?)...

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »

OK, call me stupid, but I can't see any scrollbars within scrollbars. Am I missing something?

As for the forum software... SMF is the best, free, forum software out there Cheesy

The only thing I've noticed is that, if after entering text in a reply/post I press tab (to get to the "post" button" it actually tabs to the PM notification at the top of the page Undecided

Hey Dave,

What browser are YOU running? I see the scrollbars in Firefox and IE7, even when I "disable" the feature. I'm stumped, frankly - hopefully the cavalry will have some answers for me soon...

dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »

Firefox 2.0.0.4

Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »

Alex, can you set the heigth to something less? Like 700 pixels?

Gatac
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »

Can someone post a link to a page where they're seeing the extra scrollbars and I'll have a look. I'll even take a screenshot and post it so you can see what I see Cheesy

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 02:38:11 PM »

Alex, can you set the heigth to something less? Like 700 pixels?

Gatac

OK, changed a few things:

1) Disabled Users Online block. that should keep scrollbars on the site level in check.
2) Shortened the window length to 640

That has reduced us to a single scrollbar. Mind you, people with smaller monitors/low res will still have dual scrollbars, but this did make it easier to browse.

dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »

Hey! I can see the double scrollbars now Cheesy I don't feel left out Wink

I think the reason I wasn't seeing them originally was because, for some reason, I wasn't viewing the forum in wrapped mode. I was accessing it directly, outside of Drupal.

Edit: Got it. I was outside Drupal because I open links in new tabs. I also noticed that, because the wrapped forum is inside an iframe, you can't link to threads in the forum (because the URL in the address bar stays http://www.crafty-games.com/smfforum/ regardless of where you are inside the forum) Sad This is a "problem"/feature of the way Drupal appears to deal with wrapped forums rather than the forum itself (I run SMF wrapped on a Joomla website without any problems like this).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:51:28 PM by Dave » Logged

Minion
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

Huh, great trick Dave. If I right-click 'Crafty Games Forum' (or whatever) into a new tab, I get the forums without the surrounding page, thereby defeating the double-scroll-bar problem, and making everything easy to read again.

Sweet.
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »

Glad to be of service Cheesy

Crafty Games
Crafty Staff
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 03:27:25 PM »

Huh, great trick Dave. If I right-click 'Crafty Games Forum' (or whatever) into a new tab, I get the forums without the surrounding page, thereby defeating the double-scroll-bar problem, and making everything easy to read again.

Sweet.

Hey Minion,

Don't think you need to do that. Try opening it regular-like...you will only need one scrollbar (the one that scrolls the forum). Hopefully this does it...
Minion
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »

Hey Minion,

Don't think you need to do that. Try opening it regular-like...you will only need one scrollbar (the one that scrolls the forum). Hopefully this does it...

Yo! Thanks for trying, but no dice, I'm afraid. I've still got double-scrollbar-itis. I'm using Safari 2.0.4 on a Mac, if'n that makes any difference.

Probably a symptom of my extremely small screen -- there's not much real estate on a 12" PowerBook!

Addendum: it is better now, though. If I place the outside scrollbar just so, then I can mostly get by using only the inside scrollbar. Not ideal, but you know, better!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:10:00 PM by Minion » Logged
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »

OK, so it appears this is going to be a long term issue that I will need to iron out. In the meantime...I have created a new sublink to Forum called "Full View" which will allow people to see the forum as a full screen. However, this does carry you out of the site - one of the things I'm really trying to avoid! But usability is the first concern - you'll just need to back-button your way out Smiley

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »

Just thought I'd pipe up and say I've got no problems, I do have a double scrollbar, but it's not an issue for me. (and the outer one will only scroll about 5mm anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: